Homes and kitchens in different countries

they say they never been as cold as inside their house in Portugal!
And that is exactly why I'm about to go back outside.
It's warmer.

Houses in Aus lack insulation unless modern. After all why do you need insulation and double Glazing when it can and does snow ? and why insulate against heat (just don't discus metal roofs It is totally beyond me) in a country with lots of sunshine and heat in the summer? seriously!

Laundry washers/dryers in bathrooms aren't the norm here, but not uncommon, especially if it's an apartment or mobile home/trailer/manufactured home (I don't know what other places call them). My in-laws' retirement home, because it was small, had the washer and dryer (a stackable combo) in the master bathroom. One of our apartments when we were first married had the same arrangement.

In the UK, both houses we rented had the washing machine in the kitchen, which was overwhelmingly the way we saw them there. Neither house was fitted with a tumble dryer, but we got one on loan for the duration we lived there. There was no fitting for the exhaust and no place for the unit, so it sat in the corner of the kitchen and whenever we needed to dry our clothes, we rolled it out, plugged it in, and ran the exhaust out an opened window or the back door.

Morning Glory I thought the same - that's a big house by Portuguese standards. Here in Portugal it's not uncommon to find 2 bedroom houses that are 70m2 or less (around 753 sq feet). A 3 bedroom can be under 1000 sq feet, very common with older constructions (which are still very common in the market, and most of our housing is old). I'd be super excited to live in that house TastyReuben shared if it wasn't for the open kitchen :D

Most kitchens in Portugal look like this. It's basically a rectangle, usually the cabinets, fridge and machines will be against one wall and the other wall will be free and people usually put a dining table there, it's not super common to have cabinets on both walls. This is actually a very large, fancy kitchen and exactly the kind of kitchen I would love to own one day 😍
1632479381380.png

Here in Portugal it's not uncommon to find 2 bedroom houses
While 2 bed/1 bath houses certainly exist here, they're saddled with the reputation of being incredibly difficult to sell, so buyers don't really look at them (sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy).

Apartments and condos/townhomes, yes. Detached homes, generally 3 bed/2 bath is considered the minimum, and somewhere around 1200sq ft.

Most kitchens in Portugal look like this. It's basically a rectangle, usually the cabinets, fridge and machines will be against one wall and the other wall will be free and people usually put a dining table there, it's not super common to have cabinets on both walls. This is actually a very large, fancy kitchen and exactly the kind of kitchen I would love to own one day 😍
View attachment 71788
This is the style of kitchen my mom has, walled off from the rest of the house, doors on either side can be closed so the "sounds and smells of the kitchen" can be isolated. No laundry facilities in hers though (thank goodness!)
In stark contrast, my kitchen flows from breakfast table to family room and (yes) even has the kitchen island you don't like... and I much prefer this layout 😅
When we entertain, I am usually finishing up dinner or something in the kitchen when guests arrive. I ask my wife to greet them at the door and get everyone a beverage and they naturally congregate near the kitchen where I can continue working and be part of the conversation. Once I'm done, depending on the formality of the event, I usually clean the island and then set out the food there so people can come and serve themselves. After that, I assume bartender duties :happy:

My kitchen is open, it's just the way they're built now. I hate it, I'd much prefer that galley-style kitchen, and to have the ability to close it off.

I absolutely can't stand having people in the kitchen when I'm cooking. I've joking-but-I'm-serious thrown people out of the kitchen, and I've GTFO thrown people out of the kitchen. I simply cannot cook with too many distractions going on, and people in or near the kitchen is a huge distraction, even if I'm not actively participating in the conversation.

This is the style of kitchen my mom has, walled off from the rest of the house, doors on either side can be closed so the "sounds and smells of the kitchen" can be isolated. No laundry facilities in hers though (thank goodness!)
In stark contrast, my kitchen flows from breakfast table to family room and (yes) even has the kitchen island you don't like... and I much prefer this layout 😅
When we entertain, I am usually finishing up dinner or something in the kitchen when guests arrive. I ask my wife to greet them at the door and get everyone a beverage and they naturally congregate near the kitchen where I can continue working and be part of the conversation. Once I'm done, depending on the formality of the event, I usually clean the island and then set out the food there so people can come and serve themselves. After that, I assume bartender duties :happy:
That's another fun cultural difference :laugh: Everyone in the show was clear that they want to entertain at home and wanted to build their living room-dining room-kitchen around receiving guests - some people even mentioned they regularly entertain 20-ish people in their house :eek: Once again this is unheard of in Portugal. We don't have enough space to entertain 20 people in our home or we don't have such large social circles - I don't know which is the actual cause. Me personally, I HATE having company in the kitchen especially if the company is going to offer unsolicited cooking advice - yeah I'd rather lock the kitchen door and let the guests entertain themselves in the living room until I finish cooking. Overall I'm not a huge fan of receiving guests in my house, but I know people who are, and they were never throwing dinner parties for 20 people in their homes :laugh:

By the way let me just add how much I'm enjoying this conversation - I love home and home is such a huge part of my identity and my life, and it's super fun to see how different cultures have a different interpretation of the concept of home. To me home is definitely a private space to be enjoyed by myself and the people close to me, I don't think I'll ever be happy in those countries where houses are crowded with people or people have their doors open for folks to chime in whenever they want.

That's another fun cultural difference :laugh: Everyone in the show was clear that they want to entertain at home and wanted to build their living room-dining room-kitchen around receiving guests - some people even mentioned they regularly entertain 20-ish people in their house :eek: Once again this is unheard of in Portugal. We don't have enough space to entertain 20 people in our home or we don't have such large social circles - I don't know which is the actual cause. Me personally, I HATE having company in the kitchen especially if the company is going to offer unsolicited cooking advice - yeah I'd rather lock the kitchen door and let the guests entertain themselves in the living room until I finish cooking. Overall I'm not a huge fan of receiving guests in my house, but I know people who are, and they were never throwing dinner parties for 20 people in their homes :laugh:

By the way let me just add how much I'm enjoying this conversation - I love home and home is such a huge part of my identity and my life, and it's super fun to see how different cultures have a different interpretation of the concept of home. To me home is definitely a private space to be enjoyed by myself and the people close to me, I don't think I'll ever be happy in those countries where houses are crowded with people or people have their doors open for folks to chime in whenever they want.
I am also enjoying this conversation!
I come from a family who loves to entertain at their home, but to be fair I also come from a large family [when counting aunts, uncles, and cousins] and 24 people at my parents' house used to be the norm for a Sunday family lunch!

The Coronapocalypse has definitely changed the way we entertain and the number of guests we allow in our homes. I now only invite one couple or one family at a time to join us at home, and this is increasingly rare now. My social circles have also shrunk, and I do not think this is a bad thing! I respect your choice to keep your home a private space and after 18 months of chaos in the world I think more people are learning to appreciate the same.

some people even mentioned they regularly entertain 20-ish people in their house :eek:
We've done that exactly once, probably just under 20 people, and I was a wreck for two weeks ahead and a week after, and was an absolute crap host, because I was so worried about everything, and I also spent a good bit of time rather angry at a lot of the guests! :laugh:

I got Laura Calder's book "The Inviting Life," because I wanted to try and crack the code on some level of entertaining, because MrsT would like to have people over occasionally (but not 20!), and if Ms. Calder is to be taken at her word (and I think she is), she pretty much exists to throw dinner parties, and 20 people is nothing.

I read her book, and read it again, and as much as I like her old TV show, I just couldn't help but feel that, if I knew her in person, I wouldn't like her at all, and I'd probably take some small pleasure in stealing her mail and letting the air out of her tires, just to mess up her day a little. :laugh:

especially if the company is going to offer unsolicited cooking advice
That's a huge peeve of mine. MrsT likes to post some of our food on FB (I'm not on FB), and she has one friend who constantly comments in the form of, "That looks great, but..." and then offers some "constructive" criticism.

Two problems I have with that:
1. This person is a self-appointed expert it every cuisine under the sun, and will lecture a native cook on what they're doing wrong with their own culture's cuisine ("Well, I know you're Algerian, but my mom's best friend in high school, she lived next door to a family who were friends with another family, and their cousin's car mechanic was Algerian, so I do think I know a little bit about that dish you're trying to make..."

2. She...wait for it...doesn't cook! All of her "helpful advice" is based on how "my mom/grandma/neighbor/that restaurant I went to once/that TV cooking show I saw" does it!

By the way let me just add how much I'm enjoying this conversation
Same here! I'm actually somewhat preoccupied/fascinated with other people's kitchens, especially when they're from another country/culture. MrsT always laughs at me, because I watch a lot of foreign films/TV shows, and if there's a scene shot in a kitchen, I'll back it up and watch it over and over again, looking at the light switches, and the appliances, the way things are stored, etc.

Same here! I'm actually somewhat preoccupied/fascinated with other people's kitchens, especially when they're from another country/culture. MrsT always laughs at me, because I watch a lot of foreign films/TV shows, and if there's a scene shot in a kitchen, I'll back it up and watch it over and over again, looking at the light switches, and the appliances, the way things are stored, etc.

Having filmed in my kitchen and continuously tweaking it to start filming again, I also share an interest in observing other people's kitchens. I often think of the ergonomics with respect to my own cooking style. I don't usually get caught up on the decoration though, that's personal choice. One thing I see in a few designer kitchens that I wish I could have is open shelving or floating shelves... alas I have 3 cats, so that would be a disaster!

Having filmed in my kitchen and continuously tweaking it to start filming again, I also share an interest in observing other people's kitchens. I often think of the ergonomics with respect to my own cooking style. I don't usually get caught up on the decoration though, that's personal choice. One thing I see in a few designer kitchens that I wish I could have is open shelving or floating shelves... alas I have 3 cats, so that would be a disaster!
I've known several people with open shelving in their kitchens, and every last one of them ended up converting them to conventional cabinets because they couldn't keep the dust off the dishes.

I like the accessibility and the way it looks, but having to constantly blow the dust off my dishes would irritate me after a while.

Another irritant I have with regard to kitchen design is that there are no "average" kitchen design magazines/sites. Everything is dream kitchen, crazy-expensive kitchen. I need a magazine that's called something like "Typical Middle-Class Kitchen & Bath Monthly," because there's no way I'm ever going to have the space or the money for a walk-in freezer, dedicated pizza nook, 10-burner cooktop, and drop-down spice rack in my modest home. I need to see what experts can do with average kitchens.

Hey you know what? As we're on the topic of kitchen design, how do you feel about Sink styles?
I HATE the sink I have which is one of the divided sinks where there is one larger side and one smaller side, but neither is large enough to fit my large skillets except when placed at an angle. What do you ladies and gents think of the trend towards larger & deeper industrial style sinks?

Example of old:
tainless-steel-sink-top-mount-double-bowl-ss332297.jpg

Example of trending:
rta-farmhouse20171218-4-6cuw8f.png

We've done that exactly once, probably just under 20 people, and I was a wreck for two weeks ahead and a week after, and was an absolute crap host, because I was so worried about everything, and I also spent a good bit of time rather angry at a lot of the guests! :laugh:
Yeah I did that once, for my bday lunch, and vowed to never do it again. I managed to cram 12 or 13 people in a 40m2 (430 sq ft) apartment that only a table for 6 and seating for 8, people had to eat sitting on the couch. I spent all morning in the kitchen - like from 9am to 1PM - I cooked one appetizer, two mains, some of the guest brought dessert, and I thought "Wow with this all food I won't have to cook dinner" but no, people ate everything, so after hours of dish washing and cleaning and tidying up and what not, I still had to figure out what to cook for dinner!

FowlersFreeTime I love the first sink style as long as both sides are big enough to accommodate the larger pans!

Back
Top Bottom