Hominy and how to cook it

SandwichShortOfAPicnic

Über Member
Local time
7:37 AM
[Mod.Edit: this post copied and the following few moved to form this new topic (MG)]
Hominy, red and yellow bell pepper, breakfast sausage, red onion, cheddar, eggs, milk, a little hot sauce, eggs.
Afraid I don’t know what hominy is or how its used so I can’t imagine a casserole with it, let alone with sausage and eggs.
Maybe a pic tomoz?

Last edited by a moderator:
Afraid I don’t know what hominy is or how its used so I can’t imagine a casserole with it, let alone with sausage and eggs.
Maybe a pic tomoz?
It's a type of corn, but it's not sweet corn. I personally don't like hominy on it's own but I do love it dried and ground into grits.

Now I definitely can't imagine a breakfast casserole with it, gonna need to see some pics, I'll try google images.
Hominy (canned, not dried) is one of my all-time favorite things. I think I’ve even posted a couple of recipes here using it.

It’s dried corn kernels that get treated with some kind of chemical process with a fancy sciencey name that removes the hull, so it tastes corny and sort of fluffy/partially broken down at the same time. It’s lovely stuff.

1711829762367.png

Bush’s

Hominy (canned, not dried) is one of my all-time favorite things. I think I’ve even posted a couple of recipes here using it.

It’s dried corn kernels that get treated with some kind of chemical process with a fancy sciencey name that removes the hull, so it tastes corny and sort of fluffy/partially broken down at the same time. It’s lovely stuff.

View attachment 111653
Bush’s
So does it float about in casserole juices sort of like a different flavoured supersized pearl barely?

Hominy is a southern, SW American, Mexican cuisine thing. It kind of looks like cooked popcorn, but it's soft and solid inside. By itself, just like grits, it doesn't have much of a taste. It has to be seasoned well. I can't find a decent picture in any of my old ones unfortunately.

We got freebie packages of dried cracked hominy and chickpeas via Craig's medical insurance plan. We got the mashed potato flakes I used to make quick gnocchi the same way. Got some avocado oil I haven't cracked open yet as well. He also gets over the counter medical items as well. He gets a separate allowance for food and medical items each month. I figure we'd use since it's lost if it doesn't get used each month. But, I'm actually running out of things to order already and it's only been 3 months!

I love hominy and will eat it with just some butter in it. Craig is eh about it, he'd rather have potatoes, but it's okay. Craig is not fond of chickpeas much, though I've found a couple of ways he will eat them as long as I start out with dried and cooked at home. So, I decided to cook the whole bag of hominy since it has to be soaked overnight and cooked for a good while until it softens. I'll probably make roasted red bell hummus and maybe make oven roasted crispy spicy chickpeas, plus find something else with the chickpeas eventually.

I'll post pics when we eat the dishes.

So does it float about in casserole juices sort of like a different flavoured supersized pearl barely?
I suppose it could if you wanted it to, but it’s used a lot in soups and stews. I’m guess medtran49 ’s dish will be sort of the consistency of a gratin. 🤷‍♂️

Speaking of gratins…hominy gratin I made:

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...at-today-april-2023.26697/page-44#post-353317

And a stew:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/pork-and-hominy-stew.18772/#post-201011

It also comes in white besides the yellow or golden.

Depends on how you use it. I LOVE green posole, but will eat red. Posole is a SW American Indian stew like dish. You can heat hominy from the can or frozen, season, add some butter and eat it like corn cut off the cob. You can make a pudding like rice pudding, substituting hominy for the rice. It can be subbed for potatoes, and vice versa, in a lot of dishes. It's a quite versatile food.

I suppose it could if you wanted it to, but it’s used a lot in soups and stews. I’m guess medtran49 ’s dish will be sort of the consistency of a gratin. 🤷‍♂️

Speaking of gratins…hominy gratin I made:

https://www.cookingbites.com/thread...at-today-april-2023.26697/page-44#post-353317

And a stew:

https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/pork-and-hominy-stew.18772/#post-201011

Does that gratin you made have a lot of cheese and bacon in it? I saw a recipe for it here.

A bunch of hominy recipes

Soaking and steeping maize in an alkaline agent (calcium hydroxide, commonly known as lime) is called nixtamalization—a process that strips off the corn kernel's outer layer, making it easier to grind, increasing its nutritional quality, and improving its aroma and flavor.

From Edible New Mexico

Soaking and steeping maize in an alkaline agent (calcium hydroxide, commonly known as lime) is called nixtamalization—a process that strips off the corn kernel's outer layer, making it easier to grind, increasing its nutritional quality, and improving its aroma and flavor.

From Edible New Mexico
And makes some darned tasty Mexican tortillas! I made some for a recipe challenge some years ago...I haven't done it since (well one other time and I used half wheat flour and half corn flour for those). If I ate them more often I would buy a tortilla press and make them all the time. These below are gluten free.
https://www.cookingbites.com/threads/soft-corn-tortillas-from-scratch.18802/

It also comes in white besides the yellow or golden.

Depends on how you use it. I LOVE green posole, but will eat red. Posole is a SW American Indian stew like dish. You can heat hominy from the can or frozen, season, add some butter and eat it like corn cut off the cob. You can make a pudding like rice pudding, substituting hominy for the rice. It can be subbed for potatoes, and vice versa, in a lot of dishes. It's a quite versatile food.
Yeah I had never seen the golden, white was the one I tried. It was canned. And I didn't like it. But that was when I was a kid, I should probably give it another whirl, and I am sure if medtran49 were making it in that aforementioned casserole, I would eat seconds!

Back
Top Bottom