Recipe Honey BBQ Sauce

caseydog

Local time
12:45 AM
Honey BBQ Sauce

HoneyBBQ-001.jpg

(Note: You will need some kind of blender/food processor -- a stick blender is fine)

This sauce will work with any meat, preferably cooked on a grill/BBQ. Chicken and pork especially. Might be a bit sweet for beef.

Ingredients

I Cup Tomato Puree
1/2 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar (substitute: White Vinegar)
1 Small Yellow Onion (I use 1/2 of a large Texas onion)
4 Cloves Garlic - Crushed
1 TSP Salt
1 TSP Black Pepper
1/2 TSP ground chipotle powder (substitute: any hot chili powder)
1/2 TSP Smoked Paprika
Olive Oil

Instructions

Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil just long enough to remove any bitterness (sweat them).

Pour all the ingredients into a blender or food processor (or into a bowl if you use a stick blender). Blend until smooth. Pour the sauce into a sauce pan, and bring to a simmer. With the lid off, simmer the sauce, stirring occasionally, until it thickens to almost the viscosity of ketchup (about 15-20 minutes).

For best flavor, let the sauce sit in the fridge for at last a few hours, or overnight, for the ingredients to get friendly before using.

CD

Last edited:
I plan to toss some chicken thighs on the grill/BBQ later. I'll post some pictures of the sauce on the chicken.

CD

Seeing that in a canning jar, do you can this? If not, how long does it last in the fridge like that? I'm assuming it can be frozen.

Seeing that in a canning jar, do you can this? If not, how long does it last in the fridge like that? I'm assuming it can be frozen.

The mason jar was mainly for the photo. It will keep in the fridge as well as any condiment without artificial preservatives. It has a good amount of vinegar in it. Being simmered for 20 minutes also means it is beyond pasteurized.

I generally don't make a large quantity at a time. This batch will probably get my through the rest of the long Texas summer, and into the fall, if I keep it refrigerated. I don't want to get too specific, because I have no scientific data to rely on.

CD

Now that I have my food mill, I'm wanting to go crazy with making tomato sauce, salsa, and barbecue sauce from fresh tomatoes while they're in season here (for a very short time) and freeze it instead of canning.

Now that I have my food mill, I'm wanting to go crazy with making tomato sauce, salsa, and barbecue sauce from fresh tomatoes while they're in season here (for a very short time) and freeze it instead of canning.

Go for it. It will definitely freeze.

A lot of BBQ sauce recipes online and in cookbooks call for ketchup. I don't do that. Ketchup starts with a tomato puree, so I start there, and choose my own seasonings, spices and herbs. If I could get really good tomatoes where I live (on a reliable basis), I might make my own tomato puree.

CD

And a lovely photo it is!

Over the last week or two, I've taken my camera off of the tripod. I hate tripods, so I don't know why I have been using it for my food shots. I do almost all of my professional photography with a hand held camera.

CD

Over the last week or two, I've taken my camera off of the tripod. I hate tripods, so I don't know why I have been using it for my food shots. I do almost all of my professional photography with a hand held camera.

CD

You must have very steady hands...

You must have very steady hands...

Keep in mind, I am using a strobe (flash) unit to light my food. My camera settings are 1/250 at anywhere from f5.6 to f16 depending on what power I dial into the strobe -- with studio strobes, you have to use manual mode. With the exposure being done by the strobe, that makes my effective exposure time about 1/10,000 of a second.

Also, believe it or not, it is easier (at least for me) to steady a big, six pound camera and lens, than a much smaller, lighter camera, or iPhone.

CD

Back
Top Bottom