2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons brandy
3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley

Directions
Combine first 4 ingredients and 3 tbs butter in large saucepan. Bring to boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer until carrots are tender about 10 minutes. Drain well.

In same skillet, melt rest of butter, honey and brown sugar until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Add carrots and brandy and cook until carrots are coated with glaze. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cover and let stand at room temperature. Reheat gently before serving).

Sprinkle with chopped parsley

Recipe courtesy of Epicurious.com

I know you did this for the honey contest, but brown sugar, butter and brandy or bourbon work great as well. We haven't cooked carrots like this in ages.

Wonder why Epicurious would put half the butter in the cooking water?
Not Epicurious, Tasty Reuben. When the water evaporates from boiling, the butter in there starts the glazing process nicely.

We never added sugar to the initial cooking process, but did always add butter and salt to the water.

Last edited:
Not Epicurious, Tasty Reuben. When the water evaporates from boiling, the butter in there starts the glazing process nicely.

We never added sugar to the initial cooking process, but did always add butter and salt to the water.

Are you suggesting that Tasty strayed from a recipe? :ohmy: I thought I felt the Earth wobble a bit on its axis.

CD

Better keep an eye on the pot then. I roast in butter, but don't think I'll be adding butter to water hoping for glazing to take place or see the carrots turn to mush from overcooking or burn waiting for that butter thing to happen. Very strange cooking method. that is no way to treat butter I say.:)

I'm pretty sure its in the Epicurious.com recipe. They have a video using that method: How to Make Glazed Carrots

I'm no professional but its the way I learned to cook glazed carrots. Here is a recipe from UK Michelin starred chef Paul Heathcote which also uses that method: Glazed Carrots Recipe With Tarragon & Garlic - Great British Chefs.

Who'd have thought a recipe for carrots could cause such a debate! :happy:
Not exactly. Paul says to keep adding water to just cover the carrots until they're cooked, then remove carrots and reduce liquid until you have a glaze then put the carrots back in. To me, that makes no sense . Paul's recipe calls for a pinch of sugar, a pinch? in all that water. Unless I want a puree I would rarely cook carrots in water. Glazing is simply adding a little liquid to a pan with butter and sugar and the liquid can be with the addition of wine or stock, maybe a vinegar during the glazing process which is a learned skill so that all the liquid has been absorbed just at the right time for doneness. Basically that recipe is not what most chefs would consider a glazing technique. All Paul has done is boil some carrots and added them to a so called glazing liquid. Just my professional opinion. It's important to get the terminology correct or before we know it culinary techniques will be diluted and have less or misleading meaning, not something that is desirable for the next generation of cooks and chefs.

EDIT: To Paul's credit he doesn't call them glazed carrots.

Last edited:
Are you suggesting that Tasty strayed from a recipe? :ohmy: I thought I felt the Earth wobble a bit on its axis.

CD
No

I'm pretty sure its in the Epicurious.com recipe. They have a video using that method: How to Make Glazed Carrots
The message is posted in TR's thread, that is why I responded as I did. TR puts half the butter in the water.
Better keep an eye on the pot then. I roast in butter, but don't think I'll be adding butter to water hoping for glazing to take place or see the carrots turn to mush from overcooking or burn waiting for that butter thing to happen. Very strange cooking method. that is no way to treat butter I say.:)
Never had a problem with cooking with butter in the water. Never had to watch the pot more than when only water was being used. Maybe it's strange to you but it's not uncommon where I learned to cook or my spouse or apparently Tasty. The carrots don't turn to mush or burn, at least when the people who are cooking them know how to do so properly.

No

The message is posted in TR's thread, that is why I responded as I did. TR purs half the butter in the water.

Never had a problem with cooking with butter in the water. Never had to watch the pot more than when only water was being used. Maybe it's strange to you but it's not uncommon where I learned to cook or my spouse or apparently Tasty. The carrots don't turn to mush or burn, at least when the people who are cooking them know how to do so properly.
Don't think I said that these mishaps happen by default. :) :)

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by that, but whatever.
Tasty's recipe calls to boil the carrots then remove when cooked, then but them in a glaze. You mentioned that you evaporate all the water, which is more of a glazing technique, but it's rife with complications, which I mentioned previously. You said those things would not happen to someone than knows how to cook, hence my remark that it may not happen but can happen.

For the record, Jacques Pepin glazes his carrots by starting with butter and water (and a couple of other things).

If Pepin is doing it that way...nuff said. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom