Retro Recipe Honeycake Squares

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Staff member
Local time
9:05 PM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I found this in my Grannie's old recipe collection. I've no idea on the date, but I'm guessing the '60's from the looks of the pages and style. Actually, I've just found the date, September 26th 1959. In the Woman magazine. It is the pull-out cookery booklet and these pages are printed in colour. Not all are. So I guess this is one of the first of my 'Retro recipes'. I'm not sure I have added many others, because the ones I have added were added prior to the Prefix Retro recipe being made and I don't think that the have been revised!

Honeycake Squares

Ingredients
1lb thick honey
6 oz soft brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp powdered cinnamon
1/4 tsp mixed spice
13 oz wholemeal flour
1 level tsp baking powder
2 oz sultanas
2oz blanched chopped almonds
2oz chopped peel

Method
  1. Grease and line a 9 inch square cake tine with greased greaseproof paper.
  2. Melt honey and sugar over gentle heat in large saucepan. Remove from heat and cool slightly, then beat in eggs and spices and stir in in the flower and baking powder until well blended. stir in cleaned sultanas, chopped almonds and shopped peel.
  3. Turn mixture into prepared tin and bake in hot oven (400F, Regulo 6) for about 3/4 hr or until cooked through. Cool in tin, then turn out on wire rack and strip off paper. this cake improves with keeping. Store in an airtight tin and cut into squares to serve as required. Makes 15 squares.

Back
Top Bottom