Hospital food

A bottle of Tabasco in my bag is essential if I'm staying in hospital.

With the NHS my only option was my husband feeding me every meal because no dairy (aka a vegan diet) was too difficult for them. Pea Risotto was a plate of boiled white rice and some boiled garden peas to the side. The nursing staff were not impressed. They actually allowed my hubby to bring all meals in for me and for him to leave them in the nurses' fridge with my name on.

To date I've only been really impressed with 1 or 2 hospitals for food and one of those, I wasn't the patient, Hubby was and ate vegan as well. Luckily my next planned hospital stay is the same hospital!

It's probably important to differentiate food served to workers and visitors in the cafeterias from food prepared for patients.

Private hospitals here have menus and wine lists. That's what my family loved, everyone of them, except me.

Russ

Virtually all hospitals in the US are private. There are very few publicly funded hospitals or church funded hospitals left.

Here is a room in our newest hospital in Frisco...

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.57.02 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-07-23 at 9.58.09 PM.jpg

CD

Virtually all hospitals in the US are private. There are very few publicly funded hospitals or church funded hospitals left.

View attachment 67866
View attachment 67867

CD

Southern cross have all single units self contained. As do st Georges as well. Well they did last time my wife went in.

Russ

With the NHS my only option was my husband feeding me every meal because no dairy (aka a vegan diet) was too difficult for them. Pea Risotto was a plate of boiled white rice and some boiled garden peas to the side. The nursing staff were not impressed. They actually allowed my hubby to bring all meals in for me and for him to leave them in the nurses' fridge with my name on.

To date I've only been really impressed with 1 or 2 hospitals for food and one of those, I wasn't the patient, Hubby was and ate vegan as well. Luckily my next planned hospital stay is the same hospital!
Yeah, that problem is here too. Literally the only vegan option was bread with peanut butter or jam, for every meal!

Even the broth was chicken broth

Yeah, that problem is here too. Literally the only vegan option was bread with peanut butter or jam, for every meal!

Even the broth was chicken broth
that NHS hospital had no vegan options at all. Vegetarian without dairy was out of the question.

And bread with peanut butter/jam - well I can't guarantee that bread, marg or jam has not got dairy in it because milk or milk powder often turns up in bread especially if the word "soft" is involved. Marg very often has dairy in it and jam - well shop bought is usually OK, but homemade, one of the tricks that my Grannie taught me was to put a knob of butter in with the strawberries whilst on the rolling boil. it stops foaming and also adds to the flavour and makes a massive difference (it was much nicer tbh, but obviously I can't now). So even something as simple as toast or jam on toast is a minefield when you are talking about anaphylactic shock!

View attachment 67866
View attachment 67867

CD
Looks somewhat like a modern apartment! :laugh:

Southern cross have all single units self contained. As do st Georges as well. Well they did last time my wife went in.

Russ
The hospital my wife prefers is like that. Every room is a private room. No sharing.

The last couple of times Craig was in hospital, they came around to take orders in the morning after breakfast for lunch, dinner and breakfast the next morning. Of course that was from the menu on your doctor ordered diet. So, diabetic diet options were much different from regular diet options, etc. The last time, when he was in there for so long, the ladies brought me a breakfast tray more often than not, free even though they were really supposed to charge for it. It was decent food, as good as most diners. Even if they didn't bring me a whole tray, they'd bring me a banana or orange segments cup and a yogurt and coffee, a muffin when they had them. For lunch and dinner, there would be a choice of 2 or 3 proteins and several vege/side options. I don't remember if there were vegan, vegetarian options since he wouldn't have ordered those anyway.

Back
Top Bottom