Hospital food

and once again, I get to face the ordeal of hospital food.... I should be getting a single room but there is no guarantee. The hospital is the best around, not very modern, but it has an ICU ward so that is where I have to go to...
Right now, when I did all of the online booking , I couldn't actually tell them I must have a vegan diet because vegan wasn't an option. I could go halal, kosher, diabetic, pescatarian, vegetarian, nut free, soya free and lactose free, but not dairy free or vegan (you can select 2 options and neither of the 2 I need were there)...

The dietician will be ringing me this week to talk to me... past experience is that they make promises they can't keep. Last time I was in at this hospital, I was discharged (after day surgery) without me having eaten because they couldn't even guarantee that the bread, marg or jam were all dairy free. Is the enthusiasm coming through yet?

I know it's extra work, but would your hubby be able to bring you a few meals in?
that's what we are planning along with him working from the office if he s allowed to so that he doesn't have an unnecessary 125km round trip just to drop off food and visit his wife. I know how badly it affected him last time around, but at least we know about his medical conditions now. the constant seeing me each day exhausted him and we were not in the middle of a lockdown or pandemic then.

https://www.thesoutherncross.co.nz/system/resources/W1siZiIsIjIwMjEvMDcvMjEvMDAvMTIvMDIvMjQwYWM4MmYtMzY5MS00MTA4LWE2NGMtNzllMWE0ZDhiZTJjL1NYX0Rpbm5lcl9KdW5lXzIwMjEgKDEpLnBkZiJdXQ/SX_Dinner_June_2021 (1).pdf

This is our private hospital, my wife and son and daughter have all had expensive surgery on my account for nothing.
I’ve had it for 25 years but I never ever had a claim, my genes are good

Russ
Here which hospital you use depends on which surgeon you choose to see and then where they need to put you. Hubby is under the same surgeon for his ankles (same condition) but because he only has 2 medical conditions that don't actually cause any issues with the ankle fusion, he gets the other hospital that our surgeon uses which is excellent and had at least 2 vegan options for main meals on the menu each and every day and they were different every day as well. Every meal he had was excellent and I saw his food.... Sadly because I need to go into ICU immediately after surgery (I go hypokalemic during and after surgery and it can kill you in the space of a heart attack) I need to go to the other hospital that has an ICU ward... and that is awful for food. Fingers crossed. I have been buying some containers already, so that I have portion sized yoghurt available (breakfast is Dorset Cereals Berry Granola and soya yoghurt with blueberries or raspberries usually) so he can give me 2 days with everything in separate containers and I'm sorted for breakfast. I've a few flatter round containers as well which will make good salad bowls etc... just need to sort something for soups.

Here which hospital you use depends on which surgeon you choose to see and then where they need to put you. Hubby is under the same surgeon for his ankles (same condition) but because he only has 2 medical conditions that don't actually cause any issues with the ankle fusion, he gets the other hospital that our surgeon uses which is excellent and had at least 2 vegan options for main meals on the menu each and every day and they were different every day as well. Every meal he had was excellent and I saw his food.... Sadly because I need to go into ICU immediately after surgery (I go hypokalemic during and after surgery and it can kill you in the space of a heart attack) I need to go to the other hospital that has an ICU ward... and that is awful for food. Fingers crossed. I have been buying some containers already, so that I have portion sized yoghurt available (breakfast is Dorset Cereals Berry Granola and soya yoghurt with blueberries or raspberries usually) so he can give me 2 days with everything in separate containers and I'm sorted for breakfast. I've a few flatter round containers as well which will make good salad bowls etc... just need to sort something for soups.
I’d get your old man to smuggle goodies in for you, good luck with surgery.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom