Hot Red Sauce

On my first and only visit to Louisiana, many years ago (30+?), I was initially surprised and then constantly amused that a bottle of Tabasco was always on the table, or counter in a diner, almost as a replacement for salt and pepper which is what my world was accustomed to. Of course I developed a taste for it and have always had a bottle in the cupboard. Today, my new 350ml bottle arrived in the mail.

I have included a bottle of wine in the picture for size comparison. Why do most retailers in the UK only sell this stuff in tiny weeny 37ml miniatures? (And at over £2 a bottle this is expensive). Unless you are in the US, is this normal?

Looking at the secondary label, we notice it has a Royal Warrant. I find it difficult to imagine the late Lizzie 2 adding a few drops to her scrambled eggs in the morning! I wonder if Charlie 3 also enjoys Tabasco and will continue the Royal Warrant.

Is there a hot red sauce you prefer to Tabasco?

The "standard" size for Tabasco here is 200ml. I only use Tabasco for Marie Rose sauce so that size lasts me over a year. A favourite sauce here is Sriracha which has a different taste to Tabasco although imparts about the same heat if not more.

Personally, other than Marie Rose, I rarely use hot sauces preferring to just add fresh or pickled chillis as an accompaniment.

I see you have The Last Dab - With one of my orders for hot sauce, they sent me a truly mini bottle of it. I have yet to try it -- deciding what to use it on -- your thoughts?

It is HOT!!! It has good flavor, but it will punch you in the mouth. I would do a test taste on a cracker to see whether you want to use it on anything else.

CD

I'm the same really - I feel I'm cheating if I use ready-made sauces and if you make your own heat its so much more 'vibrant'.
I think there's a place for both, I see hot sauces as more of a condiment than an ingredient. So I wouldn't normally add a ready-made sauce to a dish I'm cooking...I'd add chillies, spices etc. But if I'm having scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast then I'll often squirt some sriracha over the top.

I´ve got some West Indian hot pepper sauce, a bottle of local Habanero & black pepper sauce, some homemade chile oil, Tabasco, and a whole load of my own brand hot sauces: C4, Volcánico, Moctezuma´s Revenge, **ck, Andean Hot Milk, etc. I´ve got a mate over there in Caracas who also makes hot sauces - we used to have competitions when we went to local bazaars to see who could think up the silliest names.

I think there's a place for both, I see hot sauces as more of a condiment than an ingredient. So I wouldn't normally add a ready-made sauce to a dish I'm cooking...I'd add chillies, spices etc. But if I'm having scrambled eggs on toast for breakfast then I'll often squirt some sriracha over the top.

Hot sauces are very popular in the US, particularly in the South and Southwest. And, they are mostly used as condiments. Some recipes call for them, but most often, they are used as condiments.

When I make chili or gumbo for a group of people, I tend to make them a little on the mild side, and put a variety of hot sauces out for people to use as they desire.

CD

I DO have hot sauce, but I mainly use THIS; Tabaco Chipotle. It has a nice smokey flavor that gives whatever you're making a mild BBQ sauce flavor. I like it because it's not too hot & a little of it goes a long way!! :whistling:
Tabasco Chipotle..jpg

Last edited:

Yes - I agree. I like a sprinkle of Tabasco on scrambled eggs. Sriracha I'm more picky about as so many brands have MSG. Its not that I'm worried about MSG for health reasons. I simply dislike the taste.

Tabasco, if you taste it on it´s own (ie. a tsp) will give you a sort of fermented, even rotten pepper taste. Fermented pepper sauces are very popular and, don´t get me wrong, have a specific flavour which, when added to other foodstuffs, actually complements them.
Most commercial "hot" sauces to me, taste bland, although I´ve just come across one called " Baron" West Indian hot sauce, which is actually very good. Made in St Lucia.

Technically, I can't stand the smell of any of those. Because they stink & they smell even worst when people I know like to use them like they are using ketchup. They like to pour it on their food like people pour syrup on pancakes!!! I only like the Chipotle flavor. Why can't they just use a little bit?!! When they do that, it stinks up the house!!!! :yuck:

Hot sauces are very popular in the US, particularly in the South and Southwest. And, they are mostly used as condiments. Some recipes call for them, but most often, they are used as condiments.

When I make chili or gumbo for a group of people, I tend to make them a little on the mild side, and put a variety of hot sauces out for people to use as they desire.

CD
Same with me - mild side, let people pump it up to their taste buds. Can't remove it, so let people decide what hot sauce they like, want, or just avoid it all together.

Back
Top Bottom