Hot Red Sauce

Baron hot sauce.jpg
This stuff is really good. A whole lot different to the typical "Mexican" style sauce, to the "fermented" style sauce and to the far Eastern "Garlic Heavy" sauce. This stuff is made with St Lucia yellow peppers, a variant of the habanero or scotch bonnet, and mustard powder. Some I´ve seen(and tried) also contain ripe mango or ripe papaya, which adds a lovely citrusy touch to the sauce.

The "standard" size for Tabasco here is 200ml. I only use Tabasco for Marie Rose sauce so that size lasts me over a year. A favourite sauce here is Sriracha which has a different taste to Tabasco although imparts about the same heat if not more.

Personally, other than Marie Rose, I rarely use hot sauces preferring to just add fresh or pickled chillis as an accompaniment.

I threw the current 200ml bottle away yesterday. It was changing colour to dark brown. It was half empty.

My wife found a 60ml bottle in the supermarket and bought that.

I don’t think Brits have the same appetite for hot sauce. Two in the household like it and use Tabasco for eggs etc but even then the small bottle often starts to look funky before it’s finished.

Personally I occasionally like a dot or two of sriracha but really don’t like tabasco’s rawness or fermented edge or its smell. Anything that overpowers the flavours of the rest of the dish and only gives you glimpses of its flavour between punches of fire doesn’t appeal.

Having said that I will when motorbiking about take Tabasco in one of these (as well as garlic granules, soy sauce, smoked paprika, salt, sugar) as a tiny bit goes a long when it comes to adding a bit of interest to a dull ‘eat what you can find’ lunch. As a condiment it’s not for me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B014NZM1MW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

For about three years now I only use a friends homemade hot sauce. WOW...........it is phenomenal. The problem is that he never makes the same batch twice. The "devils ketchup" was one of my favorites. I'll never have another bottle :(

I grow my own chili's and make loads of chili sauces and pastes, both to cook with and to use as a condiment.
I hardly ever buy any, although I like Sri Racha sauce. I'm not a fan of tabasco. It's only good in a bloody Mary as far as I'm concerned :)
I use fresh chili's a lot as well.

I do think it is very much what you grew up with. There's been plenty times that I've been at places and (very politely) ask for a bit of sambal and people only have a miniature jar that's already quite old. Luckily they don't seem upset when I empty it.
It's just that to me that certain dishes do need a bit of heat. Esp rice & noodle dishes.

I currently have nine hot sauces in my fridge. I recently ran out of a couple that I can only buy online. I do have Frank's and Louisiana hot sauces. I always have those. Lately, I am favoring Crystal for my cajun hot sauce.

CD

On my first and only visit to Louisiana, many years ago (30+?), I was initially surprised and then constantly amused that a bottle of Tabasco was always on the table, or counter in a diner, almost as a replacement for salt and pepper which is what my world was accustomed to. Of course I developed a taste for it and have always had a bottle in the cupboard. Today, my new 350ml bottle arrived in the mail.
View attachment 94910

I have included a bottle of wine in the picture for size comparison. Why do most retailers in the UK only sell this stuff in tiny weeny 37ml miniatures? (And at over £2 a bottle this is expensive). Unless you are in the US, is this normal?

Looking at the secondary label, we notice it has a Royal Warrant. I find it difficult to imagine the late Lizzie 2 adding a few drops to her scrambled eggs in the morning! I wonder if Charlie 3 also enjoys Tabasco and will continue the Royal Warrant.
View attachment 94911

Is there a hot red sauce you prefer to Tabasco?
Yes indeed. I prefer Cholula, a Mexican product. It has more flavor than Tabasco or at least a flavor I prefer.

Yes indeed. I prefer Cholula, a Mexican product. It has more flavor than Tabasco or at least a flavor I prefer.

I like Cholula, and have some in the fridge. It is different from a cajun hot sauce, but they have their own food matches. I'll sprinkle Cholula on a taco, but sprinkle Crystal or Tabasco into a bowl of gumbo.

CD

As silly as this sounds some of my other/past favorites were hot sauces I got from Kings Dominion amusement park in Virginia. Sold under their name. Named after some of the rides. We liked the dominator flavor. Not sure they still sell them. Haven’t been there in many years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom