How big is your celery?

vernplum

Über Member
Local time
6:33 AM
…because when a recipe says ‘1 stick of celery’ that could vary quite a bit. Here’s some I bought today.

97165E1B-405F-4C34-B43B-C28E5C63B720.jpeg

Round here you can also get it at half that size.

[Edit] How big am I you might be wondering? I am 5’ 10” with normally proportioned limbs.

Morning Glory

Obsessive cook
Staff member
Local time
10:33 PM
Looking at my own forearm and hand, I don't think I've ever had celery that long. Also, the tops of your celery has been cut of so it would be even longer.

caseydog

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:33 PM
…because when a recipe says ‘1 stick of celery’ that could vary quite a bit. Here’s some I bought today.

View attachment 79790

Round here you can also get it at half that size.

[Edit] How big am I you might be wondering? I am 5’ 10” with normally proportioned limbs.

That looks about the same as what I find as far as whole celery in the stores around me -- about elbow to wrist on me. I have long arms, though -- I have to try on shirts before I buy them.

CD

TastyReuben

Nosh 'n' Splosh
Staff member
Recipe Challenge Judge
Local time
5:33 PM
If I remember correctly, I think SatNavSaysStraightOn posted some celery once that was massive - I'll have to see if I can find that, unless she beats me to it.

SatNavSaysStraightOn

Site Owner
Staff member
Local time
9:33 AM
Website
www.satnavsaysstraighton.com
I still have the same cereal and the same bottle of juice so could give a rough idea on size, but that container is 8 inches high and the celery is usually double that and more. In the picture TastyReuben is referring to, the celery is slightly limp if you look closely.

The granola box is roughly 9 inches tall,
I'll edit in a minute with the size of the bottle

Edit: the bottle is 11½ inches high. I'm guessing the celery was about 2 feet which is the normal for here. Much, much larger than I every bought back in the UK!

Last edited:

caseydog

Forum GOD!
Local time
4:33 PM
Ah - but is that counting leaf growth. vernplum's has the leafy bits chopped off.

I just measured what little celery I have in the house right now (about six stalks left). The overall length was roughly 15-inches. The usable stalks ranged from about 8-inches to 12 inches -- some have more leafy bits than others.

All the package said was "Product of USA," but I would guess that they are probably from California.

CD

Top Bottom