How do I enjoy celery?

My wife says she hates onions, and she's even tried to stop me from putting them in a recipe (one of several reasons I don't like people in the kitchen with me). When she thinks of an onion in a recipe, she imagines someone chopping up raw onions and then forcing them down her throat. So, I tell her the same thing I can tell you about celery: if you like soup, then you like onion and celery, because virtually every stock contains onion, celery, and carrots.

Not every food is at it's best in every form. I value celery because it's an essential base to so many things I love. But, the stalks themselves? When I have any leftover from a recipe, I try to enjoy gnawing on them, but I lose interest a few bites in. Then, I try dipping it in ranch dressing or peanut butter. Then, I chop some up and add it to a salad. After a while, I realize that I'm doing all these things because I hate wasting things, and not because I love the taste. It's almost as if I feel sorry for the celery: I don't want it to feel unwanted!

I‘m a big fan of sofritto but more so now it’s so easy to buy pre-diced in the freezer section. It’s a convenient way to get something that tastes good fast and the frozen version breaks down in the pan faster than when you chop it up yourself all fresh - a bonus when you’re rushed.

As for eating it as is I find this so hit and miss, like a lot of the oranges we get in the UK the quality is so variable you don’t know if it’s going to be worth eating. Mostly with raw celery it is not.
But a few weeks ago I had some from M&S and was shocked how good it was, not a single fibrous or stringy bit, just gloriously crunchy and fairly juicy.
I Have bought if from there since and it’s not been as good. Just seems the producers are a bit hit n miss.

Back in Bombay in the 90s, they had a choice of whether your Bloody Mary was served with daikon or celery.

I really dislike celery.
For some reason I don't mind it with a bloody Mary. I'd like the daikon too. I've had bloody Marys with olives too.

I use it in potato salad, macaroni salad and the greens are not only tasty but they make a great edible garnish. And I definitely use it in tuna fish/salad/sandwich.
Me too. And cooked in soups and stews, of course. But some people put celery in ham and bean soup or chili, which I find extremely odd.

Me too. And cooked in soups and stews, of course. But some people put celery in ham and bean soup or chili, which I find extremely odd.
Celery is pure texture (crunch) for me and my applications, as it has no flavor. I heard that you burn more calories eating it than it, itself gives you for eating it.

Back in Bombay in the 90s, they had a choice of whether your Bloody Mary was served with daikon or celery.

I really dislike celery.

That's quite a choice: something that will definitely affect the flavor vs something you won't notice is there until you fish it out of the glass when you're done. I have thrown homemade kimchi into a Bloody Mary before, and I often use diakon in my kimchi, so I think I'll try a slice of diakon some time.

That's quite a choice: something that will definitely affect the flavor vs something you won't notice is there until you fish it out of the glass when you're done. I have thrown homemade kimchi into a Bloody Mary before, and I often use diakon in my kimchi, so I think I'll try a slice of diakon some time.

Both the celery and the daikon were cut into "strips" about 100mm long. I'd say the glasses were around 75mm high. It was a looong time ago.

Celery is pure texture (crunch) for me and my applications, as it has no flavor
I'd disagree . Celery has a distinct flavour - a very distinct flavour, and I think that's what makes it so difficult to pair with other vegetables, herbs, spices or proteins. It seems to be soups, salads, casseroles in general, or as part of a mirepoix.

I'd disagree . Celery has a distinct flavour - a very distinct flavour, and I think that's what makes it so difficult to pair with other vegetables, herbs, spices or proteins. It seems to be soups, salads, casseroles in general, or as part of a mirepoix.

I absolutely agree. I mentioned earlier it has an anise dimension; the leaves, in particular.

Back
Top Bottom