How do you buy your yeast for bread making?

GadgetGuy

(Formerly Shermie)
Local time
7:03 PM
The other day, I picked up this jar of yeast at Whole Foods. I normally buy the PACKETS of yeast, but I saw this & bought it instead. How do you buy YOUR yeast? The jar size helps save you from having to buy it as much, but DO be careful, as you must try to use it up before the expiration date. This is good until October next year. :whistling:

I also buy it by the jar, and I keep it in the fridge.
Yup, me too. I keep mine in the frig and it's past the expiry date a little, but it's still good (it's almost empty). I have another unopened jar bought recently that's also kept in the frig. I know some people freeze it as well.

I use dried instant yeast - simply add to the flour so no preparation needed.

When I started baking bread, I was 18. I used to get the type that was kept cold in the grocer's fridge. Not that I'd go back to using it again, but I wonder if that type is still availible. Haven't seem it at all. It was called cake yeast. 🤔

When I started baking bread, I was 18. I used to get the type that was kept cold in the grocer's fridge. Not that I'd go back to using it again, but I wonder if that type is still availible. Haven't seem it at all. It was called cake yeast. 🤔

Yeah - I have used fresh yeast in the past. It comes in a solid form and needs to be dissolved in warm water with a little sugar. Its possible to buy it here in the UK but not easily available. Some say it has a much better taste - and maybe it does.

Yeah - I have used fresh yeast in the past. It comes in a solid form and needs to be dissolved in warm water with a little sugar. Its possible to buy it here in the UK but not easily available. Some say it has a much better taste - and maybe it does.
Yeah, no idea.

Discovered I can get it from my on-line regular supermarket - imported from Swede. Maybe I will get some. I've not been baking bread very much of late so it could inspire me.
Do it MG, working with dough is very therapeutic and makes us happy happy, generally speaking lol. :okay:

I buy my yeast in the supermarket - dried granules - then freeze it. Any time I need to use it, I measure out what I need then leave it outside the fridge for an hour or so in order to use it at room temperature.
The last lot, I bought over 4 years ago and it was just beginning to be a little less effective. THat´s when I changed it.
I´ve made bread and pizza dough with fresh yeast and, yes, there is a difference in the flavour. Never tried to freeze the fresh stuff.

Back
Top Bottom