How do you buy your yeast for bread making?

Typically, I go to the market and waddle my way the narrow isles to the bread section, read past everything I don't need until I find the yeast. I pick one up and patiently wait in line to pay for it.

(Follow me for more cooking tips.)
I love when cooking tips involve standing in line at the grocery store....NOT! :laugh:

but I wonder if that type is still availible.
I can buy fresh yeast in a number of locations overt here in Australia... I much prefer it to the dried stuff.

As for dried yeast, I keep a container in the cupboard. I don't worry about best before dates, if the bread or crumpets or Staffordshire oatcakes rise then i know it's still active and fine. It's in a cardboard container here with a foil inner and plastic lid, not a glass jar.

I can buy fresh yeast in a number of locations overt here in Australia... I much prefer it to the dried stuff.

As for dried yeast, I keep a container in the cupboard. I don't worry about best before dates, if the bread or crumpets or Staffordshire oatcakes rise then i know it's still active and fine. It's in a cardboard container here with a foil inner and plastic lid, not a glass jar.

But be extra careful. The worst thing is to think that you've got fresh yeast, only to find out that it's no good while waiting for it to rise!! That has happened to me too many times!! And don't add the salt until you've added some of the flour first. Salt can kill the yeast, making it not rise, no matter what you do!! :ninja:

But be extra careful. The worst thing is to think that you've got fresh yeast, only to find out that it's no good while waiting for it to rise!! That has happened to me too many times!! And don't add the salt until you've added some of the flour first. Salt can kill the yeast, making it not rise, no matter what you do!! :ninja:
Thank you

I make all the bread, Staffordshire oatcakes and crumpets from scratch. Bread because we prefer it, Staffordshire Oatcakes because you can't buy then out here and crumpets to ensure they are better than cardboard and don't contain milk. Plus I have far fewer issues with yeast because I live at altitude. For ever 5g of dried yeast you need to use, I only need to use 1.6g of yeast to get the same result, all to do with air pressure. (I'm at 900m which has a massive effect of yeast and on pressure cooking food as well).

I also use it far more frequently than using it to suddenly find out it isn't working implies you potentially use yours. I can tell when it is starting to lose its edge because a loaf of bread will need more than my usual 1.6g of dried yeast to fully rise.

Back
Top Bottom