How do you cook your bacon?

caseydog

Local time
12:40 AM
[Mod.Edit: This and following few posts moved from another thread about BLTs (MG) to form a new topic]

This brings up a new but related topic, oven cooked bacon or cooked in a skillet/frying pan.

I use a cast iron pan. I put the bacon in a cold pan. Yes, a cold pan. I turn the stove burner (hob) up to medium high to get the process started, then adjust down if necessary to cook the bacon slowly. When the bacon is just a tiny bit shy of being done, I pull it and let it rest on some pepper towels. It finishes cooking as it rests and sheds some grease.

Results? perfectly flat bacon, cooked just right every time. Crisp, but with a little bit of chew.

CD

Last edited by a moderator:
This brings up a new but related topic, oven cooked bacon or cooked in a skillet/frying pan.

I use a cast iron pan. I put the bacon in a cold pan. Yes, a cold pan. I turn the stove burner (hob) up to medium high to get the process started, then adjust down if necessary to cook the bacon slowly. When the bacon is just a tiny bit shy of being done, I pull it and let it rest on some pepper towels. It finishes cooking as it rests and sheds some grease.

Results? perfectly flat bacon, cooked just right every time. Crisp, but with a little bit of chew.

CD
Good point. Although I prefer pan fried, I usually cook it in the oven, purely for convenience. I will try your cold pan method though. Do you put the bacon in dry, or use oil?

Good point. Although I prefer pan fried, I usually cook it in the oven, purely for convenience. I will try your cold pan method though. Do you put the bacon in dry, or use oil?

Just bacon, no oil, cold pan. That's streaky bacon, of course. Back bacon has less fat, but steaks bacon has more than enough fat, so no oil needed.

The main thing that starting with a cold pan is that the bacon is far less likely to curl up. Mine never does.

CD

Just bacon, no oil, cold pan. That's streaky bacon, of course. Back bacon has less fat, but steaks bacon has more than enough fat, so no oil needed.

The main thing that starting with a cold pan is that the bacon is far less likely to curl up. Mine never does.

CD
I figured it out finally. CD, you are a genius! How come I had never encountered this method before? The results were outstanding:

And with the added bonus of leaving plenty of bacon fat in which to cook my egg:

I cook mine in a halogen oven on foil - mainly to save washing up. I like it just a bit crispy if its for a BLT or for a Full English. For salads I'll take it to crisp and crunchy.

Getting bacon that is a little crisp, but not crumbly crisp is the trick. Using a Lower temperature on my pan has helped me a lot. I have a little wiggle room between done and overdone.

CD

I use a foil lined buffet pan and bake in a 400 degree oven for about 23 -- 25 minutes.

Sides on the pan prevent the fat from running over and allows the bacon to cook in its own fatty goodness.

I usually use thick cut bacon and it lays/cooks flat in the pan.

After cooking, pour the grease in into a jar, throw away the foil and quick wash of the stainless steel pan. Easy clean up and the house is not permeated with smell of bacon grease.

I’ve never cooked bacon although I eat it when in the UK. The only “bacon” I find and cook here is pancetta, but it’s not the same, I know.
If I’m not wrong I’ve spotted some bacon at the big supermarket where I usually do shopping in Milano, thus as soon as I’ll come back home, I’ll look for it properly and cook it by following this thread 👍

Back
Top Bottom