How do you cut toast/sandwiches?

You'd probably more likely use Salad Cream in the UK... I never saw mayonnaise until I was about 20. Lived a sheltered life, I did. Sandwiches were cheese & pickle, cheese & onion, or cheese & beetroot, with the occasional sausage sarnie thrown in :laugh: :laugh:

You'd probably more likely use Salad Cream in the UK... I never saw mayonnaise until I was about 20. Lived a sheltered life, I did. Sandwiches were cheese & pickle, cheese & onion, or cheese & beetroot, with the occasional sausage sarnie thrown in :laugh: :laugh:

I bought some Salad Cream at an international store. It was disgusting. I threw it away. It is the same thing quite a few Americans experience when eating Miracle Whip (I'm sure we'll here from a few of them).

CD

I bought some Salad Cream at an international store.
Heinz Salad Cream. I'm surprised it's actually so old. Invented in 1914 and highly popular among the British working classes. Two attempts by Heinz to (a) eliminate the product and (b) change the name resulted in potential national uprisings...

Heinz Salad Cream. I'm surprised it's actually so old. Invented in 1914 and highly popular among the British working classes. Two attempts by Heinz to (a) eliminate the product and (b) change the name resulted in potential national uprisings...
Yeah, I was brought up on the stuff but moved to more "refined" tastes after going to school in Germany for a term. I pretty much stood reading salad cream when I found mayonnaise on chips.

I have a much simpler rule about sandwiches than how they're cut.

1. No mayo. Mayo is pus.

I agree. I really do. Like karadekoolaid I didn't encounter mayonnaise until I was in my 20's. I came across it in France in the classic 'Eggs Mayonnaise' which is a lovely simple dish. Its a classic French 'emulsion' which IMHO should be used judiciously and really doesn't need slathering over chips, burgers etc. or put into sandwiches. Yeah - I'm a purist food snob on this!

I agree. I really do. Like karadekoolaid I didn't encounter mayonnaise until I was in my 20's. I came across it in France in the classic 'Eggs Mayonnaise' which is a lovely simple dish. Its a classic French 'emulsion' which IMHO should be used judiciously and really doesn't need slathering over chips, burgers etc. or put into sandwiches. Yeah - I'm a purist food snob on this!

Ham, cheese and lettuce on a hard roll with a modest spread of Duke's mayo on top and bottom roll halves is a regular sandwich in my home. If I can get good fresh tomatoes, a couple slices of tomato makes it perfect (basically June).

CD

If I can get good fresh tomatoes, a couple slices of tomato makes it perfect
MrsT loves a plateful of those tomato slices, salted and peppered…and covered in a thick layer of mayonnaise. That’s probably her favorite “salad.”

Raymond Blanc said the secret to his much loved egg mayo sarnie was a small amount of salad cream. He said it’s vinegaryness (yes I know not a word, take it up with Raymond 😆) is perfect for slightly cutting into the often claggy texture/taste and people don’t know why they like it because it’s subtle but he thinks it’s deeply connected to the joy of childhood flavours. And it just works.

Clever man.

So I tried it and blow me down it worked with mayonnaise and egg.
Liked by not just my husband who is of the generation of both mayo and salad cream (same as me) but on my children who don‘t use salad cream at all.

I reckon salad cream is best used as an ingredient rather than an outright dressing.

MrsT loves a plateful of those tomato slices, salted and peppered…and covered in a thick layer of mayonnaise. That’s probably her favorite “salad.”

My mother used to make a salad of iceburg lettuce leaves, chunks of canned pineapple, grated American cheese and a big dollop of mayo. Loved it as a kid, and I'll admit to it being a rare guilty pleasure now.

My mother used to make a salad of iceburg lettuce leaves, chunks of canned pineapple, grated American cheese and a big dollop of mayo. Loved it as a kid, and I'll admit to it being a rare guilty pleasure now.

Any bbq here or in my family has a salad.
Sliced thinly iceberg lettuce (self grown)
Sliced tomato
Sliced eggs
Sliced radish spring onion
Mixed with a topping of grated cheese.

My mayo which is 3 generation old.
You guys wont get it as it has condensed milk and sugar in it. Morning Glory couldn't figure it .

Russ

Back
Top Bottom