How do you do your weekly food shopping online?

Well I had to look that one up! Looks a bit like a sort of crunchy, crispy, crinkly "lettuce" I find in Venezuela.
However, I´d never risk buying it online until I´d been able to see it and touch it.
To be completely sexist--ah the mindset of men. Harumphf!

On the contrary, JAS - my wife would never, ever buy a pair of shoes or a dress on the basis of a picture. And I want to see how fresh the veg are (which you can`t do from a photo)
That’s exactly how I am, I don’t like ordering clothes or shoes, either.

My foot doctor in no uncertain terms told me I needed to switch to…gasp!…orthopedic shoes due to the state of my feet, after cramming them into narrow, fashionable footwear for the last 25 years or so, and recommended a maker, who sells online, but not locally.

It took me four attempts to get shoes with the right size and fit. Thank god they paid shipping costs for returns, or I’d be broke right now, and with the trying on and sending back and waiting and trying on and sending back…it’s been close to three months since I first placed my order, and I’m still waiting on the other pair to get here!

On the contrary, JAS - my wife would never, ever buy a pair of shoes or a dress on the basis of a picture. And I want to see how fresh the veg are (which you can`t do from a photo)
I would never buy attire online either and never have. I'm not wearing any vegetables, lol, I don't need to know if they fit right!

On a serious note, I've had no issues with a pound of butter or a carton of cream, and the produce I've purchased has been high quality, as have the cheese, seafood, and other items.

On a serious note, I've had no issues with a pound of butter or a carton of cream, and the produce I've purchased has been high quality, as have the cheese, seafood, and other items.
I do, to a certain extent. I follow the long-standing rule that you never take the first package/box/container of something - that’s the one everybody picks up and looks at before changing their minds and putting it back. I always get one that’s further back.

I’d also be annoyed if my order had a dented can in it, or a box of cereal with a corner pushed in, or something like that. I always check for the condition of the packaging, and the contents, if possible, as in, “Do these tortilla chips look more crumbled up than these other tortilla chips?”

I generally won’t go through every one, but I will compare a few until I find one that’s acceptable.

Doesn’t everyone do that? :laugh:

I do, to a certain extent. I follow the long-standing rule that you never take the first package/box/container of something - that’s the one everybody picks up and looks at before changing their minds and putting it back. I always get one that’s further back.

I’d also be annoyed if my order had a dented can in it, or a box of cereal with a corner pushed in, or something like that. I always check for the condition of the packaging, and the contents, if possible, as in, “Do these tortilla chips look more crumbled up than these other tortilla chips?”

I generally won’t go through every one, but I will compare a few until I find one that’s acceptable.

Doesn’t everyone do that? :laugh:
Too bad they don't have a Giant Eagle near you. My personal shoppers have never given me anything dented or in poor condition. Sounds like Kroger doesn't have very good personal shoppers.

But I haven't bought a box of cereal in probably 20 years. My cans certainly don't have dents in them, but I only buy canned goods (tomatoes) during the winter, and no other canned goods other than the occasional cream of mushroom soup or something like that.

Sounds like Kroger doesn't have very good personal shoppers.
I think you’re missing my point.

I’ve said two or three times now that I’ve not had a problem with Kroger’s shoppers, that they’ve done a very good job indeed (Instacart, not so much).

My point is - how do I know that a personal shopper is shopping and comparing in the exact same way I do? How do I know that the apples I asked for are the same four that I would have gotten myself? How do I know that the two-pack of sponges, which are randomly grouped in different colors, are the two colors I want? And that goes on and on and on.

The answer: I won’t, unless I do it myself (I think there’s even an old saying about that…).

In the dozen or so times I’ve gotten curbside, I had exactly two issues with Kroger - one was when they said the cream cheese (or whatever it was) wasn’t in stock, and it was, and the other was that a lemon was a little too pale green on one side for my liking. That’s it, and the lemon was only “wrong” for my personal preference. I’m sure most others would have been fine with it, but I saw it and instantly thought, “I probably would have picked a different one.”

Other than those (very minor) occurrences, they’ve been great. I’ve never gotten a dented can or a crushed box of cereal. I said I’d be annoyed if that happened, not that it did happen. You know how I can guarantee that won’t happen? By shopping for it myself. I’m preempting the problem.

I would like to be able to shop in town more, but right now I shop in town once a week for non essential luxuries like bakery bread, specialty meat and cheese and chocolates and biscuits. As long as my lungs are not entirely recovered yet, I will have to order online 100%. For excercise I will go outside of course, but not to shop.

So, I have an app from the store I frequent the most. It's the most 'luxurious' of the Netherlands, but due to our lack of food culture it's not quite spectacular compared to even basic stores in other countries. There's a reason so many Dutch people near the border shop in Germany or Belgium, the overal product range is much better. You could say I am not very pleased with Dutch food culture, but it is what it is. With my issues, migration is an option not viable so I'll have to make the most of it. At least the quality of produce is absolutely fine, there's a reason we're one of the biggest food exporters in the world.

So how do I do my shopping? Well, I know what our household uses in the week and combine that knowledge with the weekly discounts (I have a personal discount program too) and plan my weekly menu accordingly. That way I get the best produce we use for the best price.
I shop at Albert Heijn: boodschappen doen bij de grootste supermarkt .

Some of my favorite foreign stores are Kaufland, Carrefour, and Morrisons. So much more choice and range than here..

I think you’re missing my point.

I’ve said two or three times now that I’ve not had a problem with Kroger’s shoppers, that they’ve done a very good job indeed (Instacart, not so much).

My point is - how do I know that a personal shopper is shopping and comparing in the exact same way I do? How do I know that the apples I asked for are the same four that I would have gotten myself? How do I know that the two-pack of sponges, which are randomly grouped in different colors, are the two colors I want? And that goes on and on and on.

The answer: I won’t, unless I do it myself (I think there’s even an old saying about that…).

In the dozen or so times I’ve gotten curbside, I had exactly two issues with Kroger - one was when they said the cream cheese (or whatever it was) wasn’t in stock, and it was, and the other was that a lemon was a little too pale green on one side for my liking. That’s it, and the lemon was only “wrong” for my personal preference. I’m sure most others would have been fine with it, but I saw it and instantly thought, “I probably would have picked a different one.”

Other than those (very minor) occurrences, they’ve been great. I’ve never gotten a dented can or a crushed box of cereal. I said I’d be annoyed if that happened, not that it did happen. You know how I can guarantee that won’t happen? By shopping for it myself. I’m preempting the problem.
I just think that for someone who doesn't have time to finish laundry and sew buttons on shirts, you spend far too much time in the grocery store! :laugh: Just teasing you, of course. It's something you enjoy, so go for it!

I am so frugal with my time that I avoid grocery shopping in person unless I am already at the store working or driving past. Curbside just works for me better, otherwise, and even then I usually try to find something else to do while in that area to maximize my time and fuel (even though it's less than 10 miles from my house). Plus I have a freezer in my garage and a walk-in pantry that's about the size of our guest bathroom, so I stock up on shelf stable and can freeze meat when it's on sale. Like I said, we have so much produce growing in the garden right now I won't have to buy much of anything this summer except for eggs, butter, and cheese (and meat if I see it on sale). And garlic, plus red or yellow onions. I have green onions in my garden but not the others.

I like how you all group your value packs:

We don’t get beer and chips grouped together. We have to work extra hard and go get them separately. :laugh:

I think that’s why the Dutch always place in the Top 10 of happiest people, and we place…a lot lower. :wink:

I am so frugal with my time that I avoid grocery shopping in person
I think you said something about that earlier, that you didn’t like grocery shopping to cut into your free time, and my first thought (though I didn’t post it) was, “I don’t like everything else cutting into my grocery time!”

Now, a place like my local Kroger, it’s nothing special. It’s functional, it gets the job done. That’s because it’s a smaller location. We only just got a Starbucks and a Little Clinic in there (so I guess that makes us mid-sized). I like going there for the everyday stuff, but there probably won’t ever be a whole lot there to delight me. That’s because I’m in there every other day.

When I go to the larger Kroger, 40 minutes away, I’m a little more excited, because they have a larger bakery, an in-store cheese shop, an olive bar, etc…all the stuff we don’t have at my local Kroger, and more of the stuff we do have. But…it’s still Kroger, so while I’ll be pleased, I won’t be thrilled.

If I know I’m going to Marc’s, that’s another notch up the Thrill-O-Meter, because I go there probably once a month, and they have a whole load of stuff I can’t get at Kroger. I especially like some of their deli meats, which come out of Cleveland. I look forward to that.

If I know im going to Jungle Jim’s or Dorothy Lane…well, I can’t even sleep the night before, I’m so tightly wound up with anticipation. If it’s Christmas and I’m going there, thinking about the special displays they’ll have up and all the specialty items…I’ll have to bring an extra pair of trousers, because I’ll probably pee myself like an exuberant puppy at some point! :laugh:

I’d also be annoyed if my order had a dented can in it, or a box of cereal with a corner pushed in
I just got my new hand mixer from Amazon:

You see what I have circled in the lower-left corner? You see that?! That’s what I’m talking about! That wouldn’t be like that if someone had these in stock near me!

Who’s crazy now, huh?! Not me, that’s who!

I like how you all group your value packs:

View attachment 87090

We don’t get beer and chips grouped together. We have to work extra hard and go get them separately. :laugh:

I think that’s why the Dutch always place in the Top 10 of happiest people, and we place…a lot lower. :wink:
Yeah we've always had group deals like bbq packages for summer, soup vegetable packages etc. Most Dutch people like the store to think about what they will eat. Convenience is a big thing here, but our ready meals are dire quality compared to even the UK. I still miss salad bars and deli sections..

And because I rarely use convenience options I am the exception here making my range of choice more limited. I don't want a ' knorr world meal' , but an actual meal I made.

You were checking out what kind of potato chips there are? Plenty, but not 25 pages like Walmart 🤣

Oh, and paprika chips rule. The rest of the world is missing out!

Well I had to look that one up! Looks a bit like a sort of crunchy, crispy, crinkly "lettuce" I find in Venezuela., I´d never risk buying it online until I´d been able to see it and touch it.

Puntarelle is an Italian speciality. They even have special cutting devices to shred it. Its a type of chicory so rather bitter. And it came fresh as a daisy. Here is the photo I took when it arrived. How come my nails were so good back in 2020?

I would never buy attire online either and never have.

I've been buying clothes on-line forever it seems. Sometimes I find something doesn't fit but then it can easily be sent back. I used to enjoy clothes shopping in real shops though.

Back
Top Bottom