How do you like your Weetabix?

Why be normal? I'm thinking pan fried in bacon fat, smothered with sausage gravy and topped with a runny egg. Send a few quid my way if you win. :highfive:

CD

I am trying to think of savoury ways too - one BIG problem with Weetabix is that unless they have liquid with them (usually milk) each mouthful feels like coarse sawdust. A while back (2017) Weetabix tried to promote the idea of Eggs Benedict using Weetabix in place of English muffins. It didn't take and got terrible reviews because of the dryness of the 'biscuit'. Even with Hollandaise poured over, its almost inedible.

There is a short & quite entertaining article about it here. Weetabix with ham and eggs: ‘I nearly choked’.

Haven't seen Weetabix here (but the spell check accepted the word). It has been years since I've gone down the cold cereal aisle, however. If it is like shredded wheat, I used to crumble that up, add milk and brown sugar. Sometimes fresh strawberries.

Which isn't going to win any contest.

So...

Make sausage patties, soak the Weetabix in milk, drain. Pan fry the sausage patties, then top with the moistened Weetabix, heat up in the oven just long enough to warm them, top with blueberries and serve.

I wonder if you could crush it up to near-dust and use it in a soup, or part of a dry rub on a roast? Ohhhh...maybe mixed with a bit of liquid and used to stuff a pork chop or chicken breast?

I wonder if you could crush it up to near-dust and use it in a soup, or part of a dry rub on a roast? Ohhhh...maybe mixed with a bit of liquid and used to stuff a pork chop or chicken breast?

I'm sure you can do all those things but then the weetabix plays support role and I'm pretty sure that isn't what they are looking for - judging by the criteria that says:

* A healthy balance of toppings and flavours

I only eat them with yoghurt. It helps to reduce the sogginess but only if you use thick, strained yoghurt. You could look at something along those lines, topped with fruit and nuts. Hardly original but ...

Then, and I know you're not the biggest fan of avocado, you could use Weetabix/Weetbix as a base for something similar to a smashed avocado served with lemon juice, sliced tomato and freshy ground black pepper. The avocado would help with the dryness of the Weetabix and the tomato and black pepper with lemon juice would be something different.

I only eat them with yoghurt. It helps to reduce the sogginess but only if you use thick, strained yoghurt. You could look at something along those lines, topped with fruit and nuts. Hardly original but ...

Then, and I know you're not the biggest fan of avocado, you could use Weetabix/Weetbix as a base for something similar to a smashed avocado served with lemon juice, sliced tomato and freshy ground black pepper. The avocado would help with the dryness of the Weetabix and the tomato and black pepper with lemon juice would be something different.

Soooo, kind of a guacamole with Weetabix as the "tortilla chips?"

CD

Soooo, kind of a guacamole with Weetabix as the "tortilla chips?"

CD
I was thinking of the smashed avocado and tomatoes on sourdough toast that is popular in Australia in most cafes... the avocado often gets lemon juice added to it and the tomatoes area sliced with black pepper over them.

Back
Top Bottom