How do you make gravy?

Yeah, gravies are cultural, many cultures have their version of a gravy. I pretty much use a red gravy as a base to my Indian curry dishes. Italian tomato sauce I've always referred to as a gravy but say tomato sauce on a menu as to not confuse people.

A pan gravy is for immediate consumption generally and I use the fond in the sauce pan as a beginning and add other ingredients to soften like shallot, garlic and and I always use (alcohol) a wine usually and allow to reduce, then I add an appropriate liquid and even for beef dishes I generally use a reduced brown chicken stock. Reduce that, normally add herbs and add a little butter for emulsification, never any flour or starches. Roasts I tackle the same way.

For actual gravies to be used at a later time I generally use a stock as the liquid portion of the gravy. If it's say a chicken gravy I'll sautee and soften a mirepoix and other flavorings in a fat, generally the natural fat of the protein the gravy is potentially for and add an alcohol reduce and then add the stock and reduce further. I never use a roux or a starch thickener but use the mirepoix as the thickener after I put it through a vitamix and strain. I'll reduce further if needed.

There is an old Southern gravy called Redeye Gravy, that is basically pork fat and leftover coffee from breakfast. It is usually served over pan fried ham/gammon. I've never had it, and it is not very popular these days, but I think it would be fun to try sometime.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EihfUPHEb8I

CD

As for Indian food, the only references I`ve seen about "gravy" are from Curry Houses, rather than authentic Indian restaurants. A basic "gravy" is prepared, then depending on whether it´s do piaza, jalfrezi, dhansak, vindaloo ,etc. additional ingredients and/or spices are added. The only imaginable "white" gravy I could think of is the basis for a classic Korma, so it would be onions, soaked cashew nuts, cream/yoghurt, something like that; classic Mughlai cuisine.

Gravy is definitely a term used in India. I watch an Indian TV cooking channel and sometimes and they do say that - mostly the channel is not in English. The word 'gravy' is also used by Indian chefs and cooks who appear in 'Rick Stein's India' - an excellent TV series. Its possibly an 'adopted' term from Raj days. Also there is a rather good Indian cooking website I use a lot and the term 'gravy' in their search engine yields this: Archana's Kitchen by Archana's Kitchen

You are right about the white gravy in India - usually cashew nuts or coconut. See here: 6 White Gravy Meal Combinations To Make This Weekend

Believe me, this Indian white gravy is a revelation to me. Its not what we know as an Indian restaurant classic!

I imagine it´s called gravy because Brits would automatically associate masala with the ubiquitous Chicken Tikka.

...but - gravy is a term used in India by Indian cooks and chefs. I don't think they are using this term for Brits benefit. Did you look at the white gravy link. Its a revelation to me!

There is an old Southern gravy called Redeye Gravy, that is basically pork fat and leftover coffee from breakfast. It is usually served over pan fried ham/gammon. I've never had it, and it is not very popular these days, but I think it would be fun to try sometime.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EihfUPHEb8I

CD
It's a very regional thing. No one I know in Texas does it, and I have cousins, a brother, and a sister who all live in that state. Never. I was raised in Florida, never heard of it until I was driving through Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia a couple of times with some friends and we stopped at hole-in-the-wall diners along the way and discovered it. Not really my thing, but it was okay. I guess they do it in Kentucky quite a bit, and TR isn't far from there so makes sense that it's still a thing.

I like the sound (and look) of that!
It's one of my dad's all-time favorite things. I should amend my post, because he hasn't gotten any of that since he's been in the nursing home, and he sure lets everyone know, as he keeps complaining about having to eat beef-and-noodles all the time, "...and they ain't got no redeye!"

They'd come up to Minnesota to visit us, and no one served salt-cured ham, which is predominant in Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, etc, and he loudly registered his complaint to a waitress one morning, when she asked what he wanted.

He snapped at her, "You ain't got nuthin' I'm wantin'...country ham and redeye! You prob'ly don't even know what that is!"

I wrote him a song from that, one that I've since completely forgotten and can't find the lyric sheet for, but the only couplet I can remember is:

Oh how I miss the things I crave,
Like country ham and redeye gravy

He loves his redeye!

I don't make gravy. My late grandfather used to make this amazing tomato bacon gravy. WOW............ Colleen has tried to replicate it. She comes close, but it still isn't the same.
Now that's one of my mom's favorites...tomato gravy (not to be confused with the Italian-American Sunday gravy, mentioned up a little ways in this topic).

There are two ways to do it:

First,I start with a roux of flour & a little fat or oil. I brown it a little in a skillet. Then I add some water or veggie broth. I keep adding this iuntil the gravy is at the constistancy that I want. Then I add seasonings such as salt,black pepper & a little garlic. Sometimes I add some sliced onions & a few drops of gravy master or kitchen bouquet. Then I taste for seasoning. I let it cook until thye onions are soft, but not mushy. Tastes great over rice, noodles or mashed potatoes!!!

The other way is to just make a slurry of flour & water. Stir together in a bowl, or shake vigorously in a closed jar. Add this to the broth of cooked meat, such as beef stew or pot roast. Let it simmer until thickened. Cook it enough to get rid of the floury taste. Season if needed or desired. Add a few drops of browning sauce. Enjoy!! :whistling:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom