Recipe How do you make potato salad?

Pat

Veteran
Local time
10:56 PM
I made potatoe salad last night.
I added chopped celery, onions and pickles to my potatoes along with mayonise and a dash of spicy brown mustard to give it a little kick.

I know there are many ways to make potatoe salad how do you make yours?

I made potatoe salad last night.
I added chopped celery, onions and pickles to my potatoes along with mayonise and a dash of spicy brown mustard to give it a little kick.

I know there are many ways to make potatoe salad how do you make yours?

In addition to what you use, I use chopped green pepper, sweet relish in place of the pickles, chopped pimentos & sliced hard boiled eggs, a little bit of yellow mustard, plus seasonings. :wink:

Last edited:
potato salad has so many derivatives some have already been named,of course plain potato salad,cooked potatoes bound with mayonnaise can be a tad boring,
and there are loads of traditional compound salads,but as we all do ,we add ingredients and take others away
a favourite of mine is from the repertoire de la cuisine-
salade beatrice,potatoes ,julienne of chicken,truffles,asparagus and sauce mayonnaise with a little coarse grain mustard

I throw in everything but the kitchen sink. I make mine with most of the things listed above, but I mine is pink, because I always add beets, which are one of my favorite foods.

I throw in everything but the kitchen sink. I make mine with most of the things listed above, but I mine is pink, because I always add beets, which are one of my favorite foods.

:) I like this...everything but the kitchen sink. I also like the idea of the beets. That would be interesting to present to guess who are so used to the typical white/creamy coloured salad. I like to confuse people with my dishes sometimes. Confuse them pleasantly. So mine is pretty basic. Salt, onions, Hellmans Mayonnaise (I am happy to find a substitute if it taste the same way)sweet peppers, parsley if on hand and fresh, and some mayonnaise if I want a little colour. I have friends who like to add corn and green peas and all the rest of it....everything but the kitchen sink but I like to keep it simple and sweet. Sometimes I might just a pinch of sugar. Did anyone say if they cook the potatoes in the skin? I usually don't.

:) I like this...everything but the kitchen sink. I also like the idea of the beets. That would be interesting to present to guess who are so used to the typical white/creamy coloured salad. I like to confuse people with my dishes sometimes. Confuse them pleasantly. So mine is pretty basic. Salt, onions, Hellmans Mayonnaise (I am happy to find a substitute if it taste the same way)sweet peppers, parsley if on hand and fresh, and some mayonnaise if I want a little colour. I have friends who like to add corn and green peas and all the rest of it....everything but the kitchen sink but I like to keep it simple and sweet. Sometimes I might just a pinch of sugar. Did anyone say if they cook the potatoes in the skin? I usually don't.
to me new potatoes in their skins are the best to use, also a potato called a Jersey royal when in season ,make the best potato salad

I always use russet potatoes, mainly because their almost smooth shape allows them to be easily peeled, have far less eyes, nook & crannies and are very versatile!! :wink:

Last edited:

I love the pink surprise, and I've never had someone turn up his/her nose at it. If they did, they were too polite to do it in front of me. The bowl (huge) is always empty. I do add peas, I try to make it as healthy as possible, and for some reason, I don't have a lot of peas other than that. Simple is good, in my book. Are your onions cooked, or raw? I have never added them, but I could do cooked ones (health issues), not raw. Something to think about for the future.

I love the pink surprise, and I've never had someone turn up his/her nose at it. If they did, they were too polite to do it in front of me. The bowl (huge) is always empty. I do add peas, I try to make it as healthy as possible, and for some reason, I don't have a lot of peas other than that. Simple is good, in my book. Are your onions cooked, or raw? I have never added them, but I could do cooked ones (health issues), not raw. Something to think about for the future.

Always raw onions. That's a must for me. There are health issues with the grated raw onions? Please tell. In the meantime I will be searching. Raw onion is a big thing with me: well raw and cooked. Yesterday I was low and onions and I was miserable.

Last edited:
Always raw onions. That's a must for me. There are heaths issues with the grated raw onions? Please tell. In the meantime I will be searching. Raw onion is a big thing with me: well raw and cooked. Yesterday I was low and onions and I was miserable.

I chop up everything fine - the veggies that is. The potatoes are Peeled & cut in small to medium sizes cubes, place in a large pot with enough cold water to cover. When the water reaches a rolling boil, I then turn the burner off, cover the pot & let the potatoes sit in the hot water for 15 to 20 minutes. Bang, boom, doe, then I drain them and do not rinse them. I put them in a bowl, & I mash up about 1/3 of them. This helps to make the mixture more stiffer and less loose. :wink:

Last edited:
Always raw onions. That's a must for me. There are heaths issues with the grated raw onions? Please tell. In the meantime I will be searching. Raw onion is a big thing with me: well raw and cooked. Yesterday I was low and onions and I was miserable.

The grating isn't the issue, it's the raw part. My Dad could eat raw onions, but my Mother, siblings and I can't. We all tend to have IBS type issues, and raw onions exacerbate the issue. I've found that translucent onions are a much better option for me. We also have issues with garlic and mushrooms. A little seems to go a long way, but more can cause gastritis and other problems, so I/we avoid them. Haha, you're an onion lover like my Dad. He would slice up raw onions and make sandwiches. I stick with boiled or sauteed onions, and can have them in onion rings, also, since they're softer by then.

My granddaughter loves raw onions, the aroma of an onion gets in my noise and I taste it like I had been eating onions all day. I try to use a few onions as possible when I cook so that I am not tasting something I did not eat.

My granddaughter loves raw onions, the aroma of an onion gets in my noise and I taste it like I had been eating onions all day. I try to use a few onions as possible when I cook so that I am not tasting something I did not eat.

Yes, I can totally understand that. At my last apartment, my bedroom shared a wall with the kitchen of a woman who cooked Persian food early in the morning, and I would wake up with my stomach churning, and feel sick all day. I get frustrated, because it seems every cooking show I see starts the recipes off with onion and garlic, but I have to limit my intake/exposure to them both.

Back
Top Bottom