Recipe How do you make potato salad?

to me new potatoes in their skins are the best to use, also a potato called a Jersey royal when in season ,make the best potato salad

I feel sure I don't have the Jersey royal potatoes here but of course I will check next time I am in the supermarket. Truth of the matter is that potatoes are becoming such a sour topic for me these days. They never last, most of the ones I see around here. The red potatoes seem to have the best shelf life but are quite expensive.

The grating isn't the issue, it's the raw part. My Dad could eat raw onions, but my Mother, siblings and I can't. We all tend to have IBS type issues, and raw onions exacerbate the issue. I've found that translucent onions are a much better option for me. We also have issues with garlic and mushrooms. A little seems to go a long way, but more can cause gastritis and other problems, so I/we avoid them. Haha, you're an onion lover like my Dad. He would slice up raw onions and make sandwiches. I stick with boiled or sauteed onions, and can have them in onion rings, also, since they're softer by then.

Is that the case with your IBS? Then I should step back and pay attention. I am still trying to wrap my head around some health issues my son has and in the absence of concrete proof, it could be something in the family of IBS. About the onions, I like just the right amount to add flavour to almost my dishes, but I don't want to flavour to be overpowering at all.

I feel sure I don't have the Jersey royal potatoes here but of course I will check next time I am in the supermarket. Truth of the matter is that potatoes are becoming such a sour topic for me these days. They never last, most of the ones I see around here. The red potatoes seem to have the best shelf life but are quite expensive.

Is that the case with your IBS? Then I should step back and pay attention. I am still trying to wrap my head around some health issues my son has and in the absence of concrete proof, it could be something in the family of IBS. About the onions, I like just the right amount to add flavour to almost my dishes, but I don't want to flavour to be overpowering at all.

Yes, we all have (siblings and I & my Mom) issues with the onions and garlic. I also have issues with mushrooms, not sure about the rest of the family, but I get gastritis from them. I have some overarching auto-immune issues, so lots of problems with different foods, but it might be good to try minimizing the onions in his diet, keep a watch, and see if his symptoms persist or subside. That's often the only way we know. One person can have no problem, then others might be unable to eat the food at all. It can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of reactions, but eventually we can usually figure them out.

Yes, we all have (siblings and I & my Mom) issues with the onions and garlic. I also have issues with mushrooms, not sure about the rest of the family, but I get gastritis from them. I have some overarching auto-immune issues, so lots of problems with different foods, but it might be good to try minimizing the onions in his diet, keep a watch, and see if his symptoms persist or subside. That's often the only way we know. One person can have no problem, then others might be unable to eat the food at all. It can be difficult to pinpoint the cause of reactions, but eventually we can usually figure them out.

I missed this reply. The health thing with my son makes me very uneasy and worried at times. Well most times truth be told. The other day he ate loads of chocolate cake that someone had given him as a gift and he had a scare. Not knowing what triggers a condition that you can't pin point is so tricky really. I will look at the onion situation as well and see if he has any issues with that. In some ways I fell like he's the healthiest eater in the house and still......Life.

I have learned that it is best to add you potatoes to the dressing (whatever you plan to use) while the potatoes are still hot. That way, they can better absorb the flavors of the dressing. I like to use relish, onions, mustard, mayo, and salt and pepper to mine.

I also always had the other ingredients to the potatoes while the are hot!! I mash about a third of the potatoes to give the mixture a slightly stiffer & slightly drier texture. I HATE loose potato salad!! :headshake::stop:

I use Greek style yoghurt instead of mayo to make potato salad. This saves so many calories! Here's an easy recipe:

• Rub a cut clove of garlic around he inside of a big bowl.
  • Put about a tablespoon of yoghurt into the bowl. Add salt to taste.
  • Mix in a teaspoon of Dijon mustard (or mustard of your choice).
  • Chop some Spring onion (scallions) and add to the yoghurt mixture.
  • Toss some boiled (preferably warm) new potatoes in the dressing.

Back
Top Bottom