Recipe How Do You Make Your Potato Salad?

Shellyann36

Veteran
Local time
5:37 AM
There are several different variances on potato salad. It is one of my most favorite side dishes. I remember when I was in kindergarten a class project was that we had to tell what our favorite food was and how to make it. We turned those into books for our Moms on Mother's Day. Of course while everyone else was saying pizza and cookies and cake, I picked potato salad. Here is the ingredients for mine. I never use measurements I just eyeball it. What ingredients do you use for your favorite potato salad?

Boiled white potatoes
Dukes Mayonnaise (has to be Dukes)
Sweet Relish
Touch of mustard
Finely chopped onions

I can eat it hot or cold but I do prefer cold and I love making sandwiches out of potato salad as well.

How do you fix yours?

Good and easy recipe!

I love the German potato salad, but I have several potato salad recipes because both potatoes and eggs are my favorite ingredients to make countless meals.

However this time of the year I like to fix this recipe:

Winter Potato Salad
Ingredients:
6 medium red or white, skinned potatoes, halved
2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into thirds
1 small red pepper, cut into thin strips, then strips cut in half again
1 small red onion, peeled, quartered and cut into thin slices
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced

Vinaigrette:
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon apple juice
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon soy sauce
Salt to taste

Preparation:
- In a large, covered kettle place a vegetable steamer and 1-inch of water.
- Put in the red potatoes, cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, whisk the dressing.
- Add the sweet potatoes and simmer for at least 20 more minutes.
- Stick a fork in the potatoes. Both kinds of potatoes should be tender, but not mushy.
- Using tongs or slotted spoon, remove any potatoes that are done.
- When all are done, place them in a bowl and let them cool at room temperature or in the refrigerator.

- When they have cooled, peel the skin off the sweet potatoes and cut off the ends.
- Cut all the potato pieces in half and then into 1/2-inch slices.
- Put in a bowl with the red pepper, onion and parsley.
- Pour the dressing over the potatoes and toss gently so the sweet potatoes don’t disintegrate.

@MyDigitalpoint this is a very interesting recipe. I think I will have to give it a whirl. I have never thought of using sweet potatoes in potato salad. Very unique combo. I have used them in soups and stews but never a cold dish. My mind is whirling now. LOL thank you.

I forgot to add in mine that hubby likes boiled eggs cut up in his so normally I cut the batches in half and add the boiled eggs to his.

Our potato salad recipe contains, chopped waxy/salad potatoes, mixed chopped nuts/hazelnuts, chopped chives, chopped spring onions/finely chopped onions & red grapes sliced in half. For the dressing we used to use sour cream/creme fraise mixed with yoghurt. Now I used a non-dairy alternative soaked cashew nuts, ground in a small amount of water as possible and then lemon juice added to give a slightly sour taste - sometimes I add fresh soya cream to this mix, other times I don't. Quantities are simply to your tastes.

I sometimes include more green in the salad such as a chopped green pepper if I don't have salad onions to hand, but that is about it. The grapes cut through the cream giving a cleaner taste.

Our potato salad recipe contains, chopped waxy/salad potatoes, mixed chopped nuts/hazelnuts, chopped chives, chopped spring onions/finely chopped onions & red grapes sliced in half. For the dressing we used to use sour cream/creme fraise mixed with yoghurt. Now I used a non-dairy alternative soaked cashew nuts, ground in a small amount of water as possible and then lemon juice added to give a slightly sour taste - sometimes I add fresh soya cream to this mix, other times I don't. Quantities are simply to your tastes.

I sometimes include more green in the salad such as a chopped green pepper if I don't have salad onions to hand, but that is about it. The grapes cut through the cream giving a cleaner taste.

Now I have never thought of putting grapes into potato salad. Very interesting spin on things.

Pretty much the same as you listed, only I add celery, and occasionally a touch of mustard, vinegar and sugar for some tartness and color. I also include hard boiled eggs because I like the added texture and richness they bring.

Sometimes when I am really being fussy, I will reserve a portion of the potatoes and cook them even further until they are really soft. Then I will mash them and let them cool, and mix those into the mayo mixture. That little bit of mashed potato helps the dressing stick to the cubed potatoes.

A little smoked paprika is interesting in it too.

Pretty much the same as you listed, only I add celery, and occasionally a touch of mustard, vinegar and sugar for some tartness and color. I also include hard boiled eggs because I like the added texture and richness they bring.

Sometimes when I am really being fussy, I will reserve a portion of the potatoes and cook them even further until they are really soft. Then I will mash them and let them cool, and mix those into the mayo mixture. That little bit of mashed potato helps the dressing stick to the cubed potatoes.

A little smoked paprika is interesting in it too.

Yes now I include hard boiled eggs in hubby's potato salad. I don't really care for eggs and he likes his potatoes mashed instead of being in chunks. He is more fond of hot potato salad and I am more fond of cold potato salad.

I make my potato salad the same way that people make their generic tuna salad. However, instead of the tuna, I substitute it with boiled potato chunks. In addition, I'll double the ranch and mayonnaise amount that would otherwise be called for in the tuna salad. I've had this recipe hot before but it doesn't quite have the same flare as after it's been chilled for at least an hour and served with lemon juice spritzed on top of it.

I just recently started making my own potato salad. A few days ago was only the second time I made it myself. The first time I used a lot of mustard, less mayo, onions, diced dill pickles, egg whites, salt, pepper, and paprika. It was pretty good, but had a strong mustard taste. I usually like my potato salad that way. The second time I used about a third as much mustard, and much more mayo. I added dill relish instead of cut pickles. I liked the second salad much more. The consistency was better, and the increased amount of mayo and relish throughout gave the salad a more appealing taste.

My potato salad is petty basic. Cooked chopped potatoes.. ( white or red or both depending upon quantity on hand ) celery cut into extremely small diced pieces, tomato cut into extremely small diced pieces ( after scrapping out seeds ) , Onion also cut into extremely small diced pieces, sea salt, black pepper and vegenise mayo.

I mix a little cider apple vinegar and wholegrain mustard mixed into the mayo and gently stir in cubes of boiled potato or whole cooked baby potatoes, and add some slivers of raw onion. I also like cold potato with sour cream and chives. Red or yellow peppers are a good addition to either.

Thank you both for your ideas. I want to try a new variant. My wife doesn't like celery or tomatoes, so I probably wouldn't use those ingredients. I think it would be good, but only if the tomatoes were very firm. I feel the only soft part of a potato salad should be the eggs. Apple vinegar and mustard would make a very tangy salad, which I again, would enjoy, but my family likes more mild food.

My potato salad is very simple indeed. Potatoes cut into small cubes, mayo and finely chopped spring onions. That's it. I prefer to eat it cold, usually with sliced meats.

I make my potato salad by using boiled cube potatoes,boiled cube eggs,canned corn,canned green peas or mixed vegetable,mayo, grated onions and a dash of black pepper.

Back
Top Bottom