How is the corona virus affecting you?

So, just announced, all the shops and schools in Leicester and the surrounding area are to close again from tomorrow. We were due to get our pubs back on Saturday, so there will be some very angry young men about, I expect mosques to be petrol bombed and muslim businesses to be targeted for violence, this will not end well.

This can prove to be a full day, depending on how things are going. The lines at the newly reopened recycling centers in Michigan can be very long, with limited entry. We pay 10 cents a bottle or can when purchased, and we get that money back when we return them. There has been a 3 month stack up of returnables that I am slowly dipping into. We are limited to $25 per visit when returning cans and bottles...this is seriously only a fraction of what I have piling up in my basement from the past 3 months: everyone in my house drinks beverages in returnables, and everyone's been home the entire time. Math!

My local post office periodically shuts down with signs that suggest that someone in the office has contracted the virus. Or, maybe it's just that they have to give the place a deep cleaning? The upshot is that I need to go to a post office further away, and that office of course now has the customers of two offices (or more). My wife has started selling her clothes online, and she's doing quite well, which means I need to run packages to the post office several times a week. Most recently, my local office was closed, and the next one had their bins so full I had to cram everything into a mailbox outside the office.

Clearly, a lot more people are leaning on the post office these days. Aside from healthcare workers, they face more potential exposure than anyone.

You need to get a USPS Click-N-Ship account. You can pay postage, print shipping labels, and just give the package to your mailman. Or, drop in the post office with put waiting in line. They will also supply you with free label sheets for your printer, and free Priority Mail Boxes. I've been doing it for years, and love it.

CD

You need to get a USPS Click-N-Ship account. You can pay postage, print shipping labels, and just give the package to your mailman. Or, drop in the post office with put waiting in line. They will also supply you with free label sheets for your printer, and free Priority Mail Boxes. I've been doing it for years, and love it.

CD
There is prepaid postage for the packages (Poshmark), but I have to have a place to deposit them. Yesterday, she had 6 packages to send out. Business is good, but some of them are too big to fit in a mailbox. When the office is open, I can walk in and drop it on the shelf (after telling people who are waiting to get in so they don't think I'm jumping the line). Occasionally, things aren't so simple.

I will definitely look into the Click-N-Ship account, however, since we sometimes have to ship things that don't have prepaid postage. Thanks!

Just found out middle stepdaughter who lives in Austin, TX just tested positive for COVID-19. And she lives with her boyfriend and his mother, plus his little girl visits on the weekends and was there all this past weekend. Next question: how is she going to be able to self-quarantine properly in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house that is only about 800 sqft?

Just found out middle stepdaughter who lives in Austin, TX just tested positive for COVID-19. And she lives with her boyfriend and his mother, plus his little girl visits on the weekends and was there all this past weekend. Next question: how is she going to be able to self-quarantine properly in a 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom house that is only about 800 sqft?

Chances are, the other people already have it. But, she'll have to stay in one bedroom as much as possible, and sanitize a lot -- she's going to have plenty of time on her hands for sanitizing. I wish the whole family good luck.

CD

In the UK the whole household gets tested if one member is positive, is it the same for you? as caseydog said they most likely have been infected already, perhaps even one of them gave it to her.

Anyway, here's hoping for a rapid recovery.

Chances are, the other people already have it. But, she'll have to stay in one bedroom as much as possible, and sanitize a lot -- she's going to have plenty of time on her hands for sanitizing. I wish the whole family good luck.

CD
Yes, her boyfriend is on his way to the testing facility right now. She will have to contact everyone she has come into contact with over the last week or so and let them know. She says she was wearing her mask in public but somehow she still got it. I did read an article last week that the virus has mutated into a more contagious strain. Not anymore dangerous, just easier to contract it.

In the UK the whole household gets tested if one member is positive, is it the same for you? as caseydog said they most likely have been infected already, perhaps even one of them gave it to her.

Anyway, here's hoping for a rapid recovery.
I believe so, but common sense would dictate that and she is a smart girl. But her bf will have to contact his ex and have the daughter tested and her side of the family (the ex lives with her parents).

She doesn't have any health issues, but her boyfriend has asthma. I have no idea if his mother has any cardiovascular disease or anything else.

Yes, her boyfriend is on his way to the testing facility right now. She will have to contact everyone she has come into contact with over the last week or so and let them know. She says she was wearing her mask in public but somehow she still got it. I did read an article last week that the virus has mutated into a more contagious strain. Not anymore dangerous, just easier to contract it.

Wearing a mask is more beneficial in stopping the transmission from the mask wearer to other people, than it is for the mask wearer's protection. It is certainly better than no mask, but unless it is an N95 mask that is not available to anyone but medical staff and first responders at this time, most masks just reduce the risk of catching to virus. They don't eliminate it.

CD

Yes, masks are much less effective against COVID-19 than condoms are for protecting against pregnancy, and I know several women who have more kids than they had planned as proof. 🤨

Wearing a mask is more beneficial in stopping the transmission from the mask wearer to other people, than it is for the mask wearer's protection. It is certainly better than no mask, but unless it is an N95 mask that is not available to anyone but medical staff and first responders at this time, most masks just reduce the risk of catching to virus. They don't eliminate it.

CD

I don't understand why folk don't seem to understand this. Its simple: you wear the mask to protect others. A mask may help protect you a bit. But its not very much unless its a belt and braces well fitted (key point) high grade medical mask.

I don't understand why folk don't seem to understand this. Its simple: you wear the mask to protect others. A mask may help protect you a bit. But its not very much unless its a belt and braces well fitted (key point) high grade medical mask.
Exactly, the mask reduces the velocity of the air and moisture leaving your mouth and nose, most droplets are arrested, the rest are slowed down do they don't travel so far. Also, wearing a mask is a constant reminder that things aren't normal and you need to take care.

Hope it's a mild case for your step-daughter and she gets through it quickly. Also, hoping the best for extended family & friends.

Back
Top Bottom