How is the corona virus affecting you?

Fauci predicting 100,000 a day now, and that's conservative. Not good America!!

Russ

All anyone has to work with as far as predicting how this pandemic will go is computer models based on the data we have. That is what makes it so serious. We have to go where the science leads us -- and to a large degree, where the &^%$#@ virus leads us.

My UBER driver yesterday was a nice guy, but he said at one point, "If Trump doesn't get re-elected, we are all going to lose our guns." That's absolutely stupid, but it is how he lures people into following him like the Pied Piper. It is all about distraction. Don't pay attention to Covid-19, your guns are at risk!!!

CD

Last edited:
All anyone has to work with as far as predicting how this pandemic will go is computer models based on the data we have. That is what makes it so serious. We have to go where the science leads us -- and to a large degree, where the &^%$#@ virus leads us.

My UBER driver yesterday was a nice guy, but he said at one point, "If Trump doesn't get re-elected, we are all going to lose our guns." That's absolutely stupid, but it is how he lures people into following him like the Pied Piper.

CD
We lost all our guns here last year, after a gun man killed 50 at two mosques. And he was an Aussie using our laws to carry out his beliefs. And we get penalised.

Russ

Our pubs are permitted to open again today. Restrictions still in place until July 31st.

My UBER driver yesterday was a nice guy, but he said at one point, "If Trump doesn't get re-elected, we are all going to lose our guns." That's absolutely stupid, but it is how he lures people into following him like the Pied Piper.

CD
Our new president is going to have much more on his plate to think about than guns, DACA, and stupid walls. Oh, and I don't think he will have much time for tweeting.

Some people don't like Biden. But I think he is going to surround himself with smart people and learn from them, allowing them to help him be a better leader. That's what the last one was supposed to do. He had some good ideas and hired some smart people, but didn't know how to listen and take advice from people who were much more knowledgeable than he was about foreign affairs and the like. That's why I refer to him as the "buffoon-in-chief" instead of "Mr. President".

We lost all our guns here last year, after a gun man killed 50 at two mosques. And he was an Aussie using our laws to carry out his beliefs. And we get penalised.

Russ

Doesn't have much to do with the US. I've been hearing for all my life that "liberals," AKA anyone not far right conservative, are going to take our guns away, ban Christianity, force women to have abortions, and make our kids gay. It hasn't happened, and it's not going to happen. Stupid people think stupid thoughts. They need very little encouragement to follow a politician who plays on their fearful, albeit stupid, thoughts.

Same people are the ones who think global warming and Covid-19 are a liberal hoax. There are honestly people who think mandating the wearing of a little paper mask is an infringement of their constitutional rights.

CD

Doesn't have much to do with the US. I've been hearing for all my life that "liberals," AKA anyone not far right conservative, are going to take our guns away, ban Christianity, force women to have abortions, and make our kids gay. It hasn't happened, and it's not going to happen. Stupid people think stupid thoughts. They need very little encouragement to follow a politician who plays on their fearful, albeit stupid, thoughts.

Same people are the ones who think global warming and Covid-19 are a liberal hoax. There are honestly people who think mandating the wearing of a little paper mask is an infringement of their constitutional rights.

CD
There is a complete failure of logic in these Trumpists.... all the things that these commie liberals are supposed to do to destroy America, why didn't they do those things for the 8 years they were in power?

"Thailand is seeing fewer fatalities than usual during the Covid-19 epidemic, with deaths from all causes since October dropping by about 8% from a year earlier.

Overall, 111,950 deaths were reported within Thailand’s public-hospital system during the first 267 days of fiscal 2020, which began nine months ago. That amounts to about 419 a day, compared with a daily average of 460 deaths during the year-earlier period, according to the Health Ministry’s database.

The low number is an encouraging sign for Thailand’s coronavirus situation. While the country has a relatively low testing rate, the absence of a spike in the mortality rate suggests there may not be a large number of virus-related deaths that have gone uncounted.

That trend is in contrast to other regions around the globe, such as New York City and the U.K., where death tolls spiked as health-care systems became overwhelmed and officials struggled to keep up with confirmed fatalities tied to the pathogen.

Although Thailand was the second nation to report cases of the coronavirus, only 58 fatalities have been tallied from a total count of 3,156 cases, according the Ministry of Public Health. Swift imposition of a curfew and travel restrictions, a ban on alcoholic-beverage sales and programs to promote hand-washing and mask-wearing have helped contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Such measures may have also helped curb deaths from other causes. Traffic fatalities have plunged -- especially good news in the nation with Asia’s highest per-capita death rate from road accidents.

Deaths have been stalled by frequent hand-washing, peoples’ willingness to wear face masks and social distancing, according to Sopon Iamsirithaworn, the Health Ministry’s director of general communicable diseases. Those measures have lessened the spread of potentially fatal food-borne germs and reduced fatalities from influenza and pneumonia, he said."

There is a complete failure of logic in these Trumpists.... all the things that these commie liberals are supposed to do to destroy America, why didn't they do those things for the 8 years they were in power?

Yep. And to be honest, there is liberal hysteria that rears its ugly head when Republicans are in power. But, now we have Trump. When retired military leaders say someone is a danger to the country, smart people sit up and notice, even if they are lifelong Republicans. I promise they are speaking for acting military leaders who can't speak out.

On topic, Trump only cares about Trump, and we are seeing it very blatantly acted out. His handling of Covid19, even with his cheerleaders at FOX-News, is hurting his re-election plans, so he is trying to make it go away by not testing so many people. If one million Americans died of Covid-19, he would consider himself the biggest victim. "Why did this happen to ME?"

I run my somewhat unpredictable business like this, "hope for the best , but plan for the worst." Trump seems to live by, "plan for the best, and if the worst happens, pretend it didn't happen, or blame it on Obama."

CD

One of the many strange things that this situation has thrown up is that we now seem to have a new budget from the Chancellor of the Exchequer about every three days or so. The Guardian informs us:

" A new taskforce, “Project Speed”, will be led by the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and is intended to deliver key projects faster."

This seems apt. I can only assume that the name was chosen because whoever thought this up was taking speed at the time.

One of the many strange things that this situation has thrown up is that we now seem to have a new budget from the Chancellor of the Exchequer about every three days or so. The Guardian informs us:

" A new taskforce, “Project Speed”, will be led by the chancellor, Rishi Sunak, and is intended to deliver key projects faster."

This seems apt. I can only assume that the name was chosen because whoever thought this up was taking speed at the time.
The discovery of a forest of magic money trees has suddenly made the government very generous.

The discovery of a forest of magic money trees has suddenly made the government very generous.

I shudder to think of the long-term cost of this pandemic in the US, which will be passed on to generations after me. The annual budget deficit had already ballooned under Trump to a trillion dollars -- typical tax cut and increased spending that Republicans love, from Reagan, to Dubya, and now with Trump. Cut taxes to make the sheeple happy (even though it mostly benefits the rich), and increase spending, particularly on the military.

Now, we've spent a couple trillion more on this crisis, which I understand, but is still going to hurt when the bills have to be paid. I feel bad for young people, to some degree. I went to college when you didn't need loans that you'd be paying off for years after graduation. We are leaving them with an emerging climate catastrophe to deal with when Im dead, and a mountain of National debt to pay off. BUT, for a long time, these young adults were too lazy or jaded to vote, so old farts like me made their choices for them. You snooze, you lose.

Sorry that most of this was off-topic, but at the same time, it is on-topic. Most of the people I see without masks in Kroger are young. Even with a pandemic, they are too self-involved to see the big picture.

CD

When I did my grocery store curbside pickup today, my grocery service employee was wearing his mask. I drove around the front of the store after he put the groceries in my trunk. I saw many customers walking in and out of the store with no masks on. I would say 10% of the people had masks on. One person who was walking into the store with no mask had on a chef's uniform (minus the hat and apron). That just cements my conviction of not going to restaurants to eat anytime soon.

Yep. And to be honest, there is liberal hysteria that rears its ugly head when Republicans are in power. But, now we have Trump. When retired military leaders say someone is a danger to the country, smart people sit up and notice, even if they are lifelong Republicans. I promise they are speaking for acting military leaders who can't speak out.

On topic, Trump only cares about Trump, and we are seeing it very blatantly acted out. His handling of Covid19, even with his cheerleaders at FOX-News, is hurting his re-election plans, so he is trying to make it go away by not testing so many people. If one million Americans died of Covid-19, he would consider himself the biggest victim. "Why did this happen to ME?"

I run my somewhat unpredictable business like this, "hope for the best , but plan for the worst." Trump seems to live by, "plan for the best, and if the worst happens, pretend it didn't happen, or blame it on Obama."

CD
My sister was a lifelong Republican until the 2016 election. She retires in September from the Department of State, so Trump is her boss's boss's boss's boss. She naturally is voting for Biden this November.

"Thailand is seeing fewer fatalities than usual during the Covid-19 epidemic, with deaths from all causes since October dropping by about 8% from a year earlier.

Overall, 111,950 deaths were reported within Thailand’s public-hospital system during the first 267 days of fiscal 2020, which began nine months ago. That amounts to about 419 a day, compared with a daily average of 460 deaths during the year-earlier period, according to the Health Ministry’s database.

The low number is an encouraging sign for Thailand’s coronavirus situation. While the country has a relatively low testing rate, the absence of a spike in the mortality rate suggests there may not be a large number of virus-related deaths that have gone uncounted.

That trend is in contrast to other regions around the globe, such as New York City and the U.K., where death tolls spiked as health-care systems became overwhelmed and officials struggled to keep up with confirmed fatalities tied to the pathogen.

Although Thailand was the second nation to report cases of the coronavirus, only 58 fatalities have been tallied from a total count of 3,156 cases, according the Ministry of Public Health. Swift imposition of a curfew and travel restrictions, a ban on alcoholic-beverage sales and programs to promote hand-washing and mask-wearing have helped contain the spread of the coronavirus.

Such measures may have also helped curb deaths from other causes. Traffic fatalities have plunged -- especially good news in the nation with Asia’s highest per-capita death rate from road accidents.

Deaths have been stalled by frequent hand-washing, peoples’ willingness to wear face masks and social distancing, according to Sopon Iamsirithaworn, the Health Ministry’s director of general communicable diseases. Those measures have lessened the spread of potentially fatal food-borne germs and reduced fatalities from influenza and pneumonia, he said."

I think Samoa was the first to close borders with no deaths at all.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom