How is the corona virus affecting you?

Had a falling out today via text message with an old friend of mine who used to live next door but moved away. We have been friends for almost 20 years. She was texting me that she doesn't wear a mask when she goes in places and feels as if she is going to suffocate when she wears one. She goes grocery shopping and other places without a mask. She also said that the government needs to quit telling hospitals to say that every single death that happens is due to COVID-19 (what????). I told her that was simply untrue, that I have friends who work in the hospitals and they do not state that every death is from COVID-19, only when they are sure that was the cause of death (or the result of complications from COVID). She tried to argue with me about it! I also told her I was shocked and disappointed about her attitude concerning wearing a mask in public and if she didn't want to wear one she should just stay home. She tried to argue about that too, stating she wasn't worried about getting sick, and I pointed out the fact that the mask was for others' protection, and then she said, "I don't have it, though." I told her she could be asymptomatic, and she said, "No, I am not." So I told her I had to go.

Not sure I can still be friends with someone who is so selfish and ignorant. She isn't who I thought she was.

Additionally, I read an article recently about several young women who gave birth wearing their masks the entire time, and all of them basically had the attitude that if they could go through labor and deliver a baby with a mask on, then everyone should be able to wear it doing something so simple as going into the store. "Wear a damn mask!"
I'm pretty safe compared to you guys over there. We have never worn a mask at any time. When we were in lockdown only about 50% of people wore them. I do get what you are saying though.
Watching CNN now.

Russ

I guess what really got under my skin is that I initially texted her to tell her that middle stepdaughter who lives in Texas (who she has known since SD was about 6) was sick with COVID, and she said, "Oh, poor thing," then she tells me that crap. That and she knows the reason I didn't go to her daughter's graduation party last weekend is because hubby and I are still sheltering in place. She also knows I am a big advocate of wearing a mask. I guess she thinks we are just being silly and overly cautious.

SD couldn't get out of bed today, weak and no appetite. She's in her mid 20s and it's hitting her hard. They won't admit her to the hospital because she can still breathe on her own, basically.
Poor thing, hope she improves quickly.

Russ

I'm pretty safe compared to you guys over there. We have never worn a mask at any time. When we were in lockdown only about 50% of people wore them. I do get what you are saying though.
Watching CNN now.

Russ
You live on a groovy island with a smaller population.

Pubs in England are re-opening this weekend, though not until the 15th in Scotland. You just know that thousands of idiots are going to treat this as National Get Hammered Day. I wouldn't like to be working behind a bar anywhere.

I wouldn't like to be working behind a bar anywhere.
That's another thing I notice when reading comments in news articles online - nobody thinks about the workers. Even the folks who are taking this seriously and are staying home for the most part, maybe going out for groceries once a week, their comments are always all about protecting themselves and their families.

I've mentioned before that I'm on a first-name basis with a lot of the workers at my local Kroger, because I used to be in there every other day, and now when I do my weekly shopping trip, I always ask at least one person how long they're working for that day, or if it's late in the day, how long they've been there, and the the answer is always around 10, maybe 12 hours.

And I get sweaty over 90 minutes.

Last time I went, one of my favorite checkout people, Tina, was there, and she was just coming in as I was leaving, so I said hello, and something like, "I'm all done and you're just getting started!"

She came back with, "Yeah, and I've got 12 hours to go," and kind of rolled her eyes. Keep in mind, Tina is in her mid-60's, single, and can't afford to retire, so she's high risk as well.

Pubs in England are re-opening this weekend, though not until the 15th in Scotland. You just know that thousands of idiots are going to treat this as National Get Hammered Day. I wouldn't like to be working behind a bar anywhere.
Most pubs seem to be taking guests by booking only and many are only accepting people they know to start with. Town centre bars will be a different story, the police and door staff are going to have a difficult few days, it could be carnage.

With regard to the extended lockdown in Leicester there are more and more photos and videos on local social media groups showing Muslims crowded into private homes praying, or partying together in the street or women mass catering. Now there is no confirmation of when these photos etc were taken, but there is clearly a concerted effort by some people to stir racial hatred against brown people. The more I hear the more I fear there is going to be violence.

We would love to visit one of our local pubs this weekend, but I don't think we're going to......they're going to be rammed. Whilst I really want to get out there and support local businesses and help them recover, I think we'll wait until it calms down a bit. :(

The landlord of our favourite local pub was telling everyone last night (during the pub quiz via Facebook live stream) that for the next week or two you'll need to book a table in advance or you won't be allowed in. They've removed the bar stools so people aren't tempted to congregate in the bar area and in fact won't be serving anyone at the bar - its table service only. They're an independent local pub so they don't have the resources to develop a fancy app for ordering so instead they've set up a whatsapp ordering service to allow people to order from their table. There are also rules about how many people and households can share a table.

The landlord of our favourite local pub was telling everyone last night (during the pub quiz via Facebook live stream) that for the next week or two you'll need to book a table in advance or you won't be allowed in.

I'm now totally confused about what we are advised we can or cannot do. Can we meet a range of people from other households at one table in a pub?

Our preferred snooker hall is now open. It is the intention to play on Tuesday next week. At the present time I do not know what the stipulations may be regarding mask wearing and social distancing. Whatever they are, I shall respect them but I shall not be playing wearing a mask. I'll just stay home.

I'm now totally confused about what we are advised we can or cannot do. Can we meet a range of people from other households at one table in a pub?
As I understand it (and if I'm remembering it right from last night) tables are limited to a maximum of 6 people. At inside tables you can only have people from upto two households but outside they can be from upto 6 households. Our local are asking when you book you declare how many households are in the booking as well as the number - they know the majority of their customers so I think they should be able to police this ok. They also said that they will stop people mingling between tables.

As I understand it (and if I'm remembering it right from last night) tables are limited to a maximum of 6 people. At inside tables you can only have people from upto two households but outside they can be from upto 6 households. Our local are asking when you book you declare how many households are in the booking as well as the number - they know the majority of their customers so I think they should be able to police this ok. They also said that they will stop people mingling between tables.

Is that your pubs 'rules' or is it the advice nationally? If its a national government advice then surely it would be impossible to enforce unless the pub landlady/landlord knew all their customers and who they lived with.

Is that your pubs 'rules' or is it the advice nationally? If its a national government advice then surely it would be impossible to enforce unless the pub landlady/landlord knew all their customers and who they lived with.
Like everything over the past three months it is about most people following principles and doing their best to comply and the 80/20% rule will apply. I guess those that will try to congregate in numbers and think the rules shouldn't apply to them will already be doing that at home, and I'm not sure they are going to get much out of the new pub experience so will quickly switch back to ignoring social distancing rules in their own homes.

Back
Top Bottom