How is the corona virus affecting you?

Like everything over the past three months it is about most people following principles and doing their best to comply and the 80/20% rule will apply. I guess those that will try to congregate in numbers and think the rules shouldn't apply to them will already be doing that at home, and I'm not sure they are going to get much out of the new pub experience so will quickly switch back to ignoring social distancing rules in their own homes.

The bars have been shut down again in Texas. Bar owners are angry, but they didn't control their bars. The TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) had undercover officers checking out bars for compliance with rules that bar owners promised they would obey and enforce. Plus, the biggest error bar owners made is that they forgot that young people put EVERYTHING they do on the internet, including phone-video of them getting drunk and breaking all the rules in bars.

BTW, the use of the word "landlord" for what I assume is a pub owner/operator in the UK, is another case of words having very different meanings and usage in the US. :scratchhead:

CD

The bars have been shut down again in Texas. Bar owners are angry, but they didn't control their bars. The TABC (Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission) had undercover officers checking out bars for compliance with rules that bar owners promised they would obey and enforce. Plus, the biggest error bar owners made is that they forgot that young people put EVERYTHING they do on the internet, including phone-video of them getting drunk and breaking all the rules in bars.

BTW, the use of the word "landlord" for what I assume is a pub owner/operator in the UK, is another case of words having very different meanings and usage in the US. :scratchhead:

CD
Landlord means both a pub licensee and someone who owns and rents a building. So in America what do you call the person who owns the license to sell alcohol on a premises?

Landlord means both a pub licensee and someone who owns and rents a building. So in America what do you call the person who owns the license to sell alcohol on a premises?

Bar owner? In Texas, bar owners, which are corporations as often as individuals, apply for a "liquor license" in order to serve alcohol. They are issued by the TABC, after a pretty thorough approval process. Texans can even protest and block licenses for applicants in their local areas.

BTW, we don't have "bars" per-see in Texas. A bar has to be part of a restaurant or business that makes the majority of their income on food or other services, like entertainment. Well, that is how I understand it. I don't know how well enforced that is. It seems hard to believe every establishment with a bar can meet that expectation.

CD

Is that your pubs 'rules' or is it the advice nationally? If its a national government advice then surely it would be impossible to enforce unless the pub landlady/landlord knew all their customers and who they lived with.
I think its based on the guidance they've received - from the government, the council or via the brewery I'm not sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if they decided to improve on the guidance themselves if they thought it was necessary. This is a proper hub-of-the-community type pub....the first thing they did when it was announced pubs had to close back in March was to open a food bank to support local people in need 🥰

Like everything over the past three months it is about most people following principles and doing their best to comply and the 80/20% rule will apply.
I think you've it the nail on the head there......all the official advice from government has been woolly at best. They're really trying to shift the blame for any consequences on to the people rather than government policy.

We really have it easy here compared to you guys. I feel for yas.

Russ
That's the thing, I understand and see your frustration and anger at the gaffs that your government make, but in America tens of thousands have died because their leader is incapable. Here in the UK research is showing that our death toll could have been half what it is if difficult decisions were made a week earlier.

America, following the Russian model.

Trump has a plan to stay in the White House if he loses election, former senator says

Enjoy your civil war.

I wish I was joking

The Independent is not my first choice in news services when covering US issues. But, voter suppression efforts by the Republican Party at both the national and state levels are nothing new. They were part of the attempted and failed plan to make President Obama a one-term president. In 2020, I see voter suppression efforts being the biggest threat to free and fair elections -- favoring Trump and Republicans in General.

The other scenarios would be much harder to pull off. Trump lost the popular vote by millions of votes, but won the Electoral College. That is a systemic issue, not cheating. The same basic thing happened with Bush V Gore, with a few extra twists.

CD

It's not all bad news out their...

New York (CNN Business) The economy might be a shambles, but Jeff Bezos' wallet couldn't tell. He's now worth nearly $172 billion, a new record for the world's richest person, according to Bloomberg Billionaire Index.
Bezos this week surpassed his previous wealth record that he reached prior to his divorce from his ex-wife MacKenzie. Last year, the couple divorced after 25 years of marriage. She received 25% of the couple's Amazon (AMZN) stock, which is roughly a 4% stake in the company.
MacKenzie's wealth also hit a record: She's now worth $57 billion, making her the 12th richest person in the world. Her wealth skyrocketed 54% year to date, or an increase of nearly $20 billion, according to Bloomberg's tallies.
Much of Bezos' wealth is tied to Amazon. He owns roughly 57 million shares, or 12% of the company. And its stock has soared 56% year to date.

Hmmmmmm, I wonder why Amazon stock is up so much during a pandemic???

CD

I went to two stores today, with the new mandatory mask rules in place for Texas. I only saw one person inside without a mask on. A lot of people took their masks off when they got outside, away from crowds. It is &%*^$ hot out their, especially in a big concrete parking lot. I did the same thing.

Just a side note about heat in Texas cities and suburbs. He have "heat islands" all over town. It may be 95F in a park with grass, plants and trees, and 105F (or more) in a large mall parking lot or on a crowded freeway.

CD

Our supermarkets still have the clear screens up to protect the cashiers. About 5% wearing masks yesterday. China owes the whole world a lot for bringing this crap on everyone. And the deaths.

Russ

Our supermarkets still have the clear screens up to protect the cashiers. About 5% wearing masks yesterday. China owes the whole world a lot for bringing this crap on everyone. And the deaths.

Russ

It started there, but China did a way better job of dealing with it than we did.

Screen Shot 2020-07-02 at 9.05.48 PM.png

China deserves their fair share of blame for their early efforts to cover this thing up, but we knew about it anyway, and chose to ignore it, or pretend it would go away. Then, our leaders told us it was all under control... go back to your normal lives -- AND SPEND MONEY.

I hope we don't blame this all on China, and fail to learn anything about our own mistakes.

CD

BTW, I can't return to my normal work and income until we get this virus under control. So, I am really pissed off about us not doing what we needed to do to get this right the first time. In the short term, people got to go to bars, and party on crowded beaches. Restaurants were open, and we were encouraged to act as if the pandemic was over. NOW, we have to start ALL OVER again. That means I have to wait unknown more months to get back to work. Thanks!

Meanwhile, our President is holding 4th of July parties with thousands of people, no masks and no social distancing. I hope his supporters aren't as stupid as he thinks they are.

CD

I agree with trump on who. The head of who knows more about what was going on, he had a private briefing with China's top man zhe?? They thought it would go away, who is corrupt IMHO. This was in November from memory.?

Russ

Back
Top Bottom