How is the corona virus affecting you?

Luckily, not everywhere in Texas. Around me, people are wearing masks and keeping a reasonable distance. I did see 30-40 teenage boys playing full contact basketball at a local park today. But, they are immortals.

CD

Young people nowadays don't give a dam. I know people that fought in Vietnam, for what? This bunch of millenials that don't know if they're male, female or a toaster.

Russ

No one I have come in contact with (police) have been wearing masks. Teenagers riding their bikes and walking down the sidewalks without them. So they could very easily leave the virus behind with their heavy breathing and I might walk right through it taking the trash out. Ugh. It just seems hopeless.

Only my fourth time out since March today. First to buy the new fridge freezer, second to collect my western foods, third to have my haircut and today to play snooker. However, the snooker was still closed despite them telling us it would be opening on 1st July.

So, call in the noodle shop for some carry oot char siu and onward to the beer shop (which has been "closed off" since Saturday due to major buddha festivals). The beer shop is Makro and despite the recent relaxation of Covid-19 precautions, we had to sign in (and out), use the hand cleaner, have our temperatures monitored and comply with the one-way system marked on the floor. Although the store was very busy I did not see one person, staff or shoppers, NOT wearing a mask (although the 2 m distancing rule was being put to the test).

[Edit: to put this in perspective there have been zero domestic cases reported in Thailand for over one month. The few cases that have come to light have been persons travelling in from other countries].

Last edited:
The (horrible) pub near where we live re-opened yesterday. Well, re-opened officially as they have been open on the sly ever since lockdown. Unfortunately, they have an outdoor area.

A substantial crowd turned up and inevitably, there were people inches away from each other. By the time a few drinks had gone down, people were hugging and virtually snogging each other. Just how serious does a pandemic have to get before some people take any notice?

I hear the President of Brazil has "a little flu".

I don't wish anyone dead, but please let him be ill enough that he realises he has been an arse and has inflicted much suffering on his people through his ignorance and denial.
I fear that all we'll see is that he recovers in a few days and simply uses the whole episode to underplay things even more. "I told you it was nothing."

Even Bozo's pretty serious case didn't seem to have much effect on his attitude.

Our governor just made masks mandatory in seven counties. One is where I normally would be working, one is where all but one of my family live, and another is where I normally do all my weekend running around/shopping/eating/drinking.

He previously tried to make masks mandatory for the whole state, but rescinded that less than 24 hours later as "a bridge too far." Glad he's at least partially reinstating it.

Last edited:
Our governor just made masks mandatory in seven counties. One is where I normally would be working, one is where all but one of my family live, and another is where I normally do all my weekend running around/shopping/eating/drinking.

He previously tried to make masks mandatory for the whole state, but rescinded that less than 24 hours later as "a bridge too far." Glad he's at least partially reinstating it.

We have some counties that excluded from mandatory masks, but we have some counties with more livestock than people. Counties like that were excluded from the executive order -- as if more than a few people in those counties even know what an executive order is.

CD

No surprise, the sheriff in the county where my parents live has said he's not enforcing any mask requirements handed down by the governor.

I say "no surprise," because the entire time he's been in office, he's been nothing but a show-boating attention-seeker. Folks in the US will likely remember Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio (sp?), the guy who dubbed himself "America's Toughest Sheriff," has been investigated for multiple counts of misconduct, is a birther, and was convicted of criminal contempt of court, and then was pardoned by the president.

Well, the Butler County sheriff is an Arpaio-wannabe, and takes every opportunity he can to get his face on TV and in the paper, complaining about "illegals," and any other hot-topic extreme-right cause du jour, and that has now extended to "masks are unconstitutional," apparently.

He started off by saying he had "more important things to do" than to enforce a mask requirement. He'd have done well to stop there, because he could at least have couched his personal bias in work efficiency terms, but he couldn't shut his big walrus-mustache mouth, and before he finished, he'd landed squarely in it's-a-personal-freedom-attack territory, exposing his actual reason for opposing it.

No surprise, the sheriff in the county where my parents live has said he's not enforcing any mask requirements handed down by the governor.

I say "no surprise," because the entire time he's been in office, he's been nothing but a show-boating attention-seeker. Folks in the US will likely remember Arizona sheriff Joe Arpaio (sp?), the guy who dubbed himself "America's Toughest Sheriff," has been investigated for multiple counts of misconduct, is a birther, and was convicted of criminal contempt of court, and then was pardoned by the president.

Well, the Butler County sheriff is an Arpaio-wannabe, and takes every opportunity he can to get his face on TV and in the paper, complaining about "illegals," and any other hot-topic extreme-right cause du jour, and that has now extended to "masks are unconstitutional," apparently.

He started off by saying he had "more important things to do" than to enforce a mask requirement. He'd have done well to stop there, because he could at least have couched his personal bias in work efficiency terms, but he couldn't shut his big walrus-mustache mouth, and before he finished, he'd landed squarely in it's-a-personal-freedom-attack territory, exposing his actual reason for opposing it.
A descendant of this guy?

1594223579896.png

The city of Tulsa is experiencing a surge in coronavirus cases, a little over 2 weeks after President Donald Trump held a campaign rally in an indoor arena there.

Dr. Bruce Dart, Executive Director of the Tulsa Health Department, said in a press conference on Wednesday there are high numbers being reported this week, with nearly 500 new cases in two days and trends are showing that those numbers will increase. (CNN)

Poor Donny. How could ANYONE have foreseen such a thing happening.

I haven't seen this kind of leadership since Reverend Jim Jones broke out the grape Kool-Aid.

CD

Back
Top Bottom