How is the corona virus affecting you?

We have all that, but coverage can be spotty. Also, depending on where you live, many merchants may not take bank/credit cards at all. They don't want to pay the processing fee.

In my area, if a place is a mom-and-pop shop, chances are, they don't take cards. The best you can hope for is a third-party ATM inside, and they'll tell you to take cash out of that.

Hell, my doctor takes cash and checks only.

ApplePay and all that...some places take it, some don't. Lowe's, a massive DIY chain, they don't take it. DLM, my favorite grocery store, just three locations, they take it. Some places have the capability, but the workers don't know how to use it. The local greenhouse I go to, they use an ApplePay point-of-sale system, but no one knew how to use it for contactless payments until I showed them how. Think about that for a minute... 🤔

I'm still surprised at how many times I go somewhere, pay with my phone, and the person at the register says, "Wow, I haven't ever seen that before!"

The first time I went to McD's after the pandemic started, so that meant drive-through, I asked about paying with my phone, and they couldn't do it through the window, so that's a step back, that's for sure.

Wow, here in Dallas, and most places I've been to in Texas, everybody takes cards. Most have a PIN pad on the counter, and you do it all yourself.

I rarely carry cash. I love using my debit card for most things, because I have a complete record of everything I spend.

CD

Wow, here in Dallas, and most places I've been to in Texas, everybody takes cards. Most have a PIN pad on the counter, and you do it all yourself.

I rarely carry cash. I love using my debit card for most things, because I have a complete record of everything I spend.

CD
I also rarely carry cash. I'm very used to looking for the little credit card stickers on the door showing what they take for payment, and if they don't take cards, I go somewhere else.

I use cash most of the time, I always like a hundy in my back pocket.

If I had a "hundy," known as a Benjamin in the US, in my wallet, I'd spend it, and have no idea what I spent it on.

BTW, we call a $100 bill a Benjamin, because the face of Ben Franklin is on it. Paper money is also sometimes referred to as "Dead Presidents," because that is who are on our money. Example: "Enough talk, show me some dead presidents or I walk." (Imagine Joe Pesci saying that)

CD

Last edited:
If I had a "hundy," known as a Benjamin in the US, in my wallet, I'd spend it, and have no idea what I spent it on.

BTW, we call a $100 bill a Benjamin, because the face of Ben Franklin is on it. Paper money is also sometimes referred to as "Dead Presidents," because that is who are on our money. Example: "Enough talk, show me some dead presidents or I walk." (Imagine Joe Pesci saying that)

CD

I didn't know that, we call a 50 a fiddy from South Park I think. aboutafrefiddy lol

Russ

I've hardly carried cash since the start of the pandemic. Contactless payment is integrated into all card payment systems over here, and the upper limit for contactless payments has been increased from £30 to £45 to help reduce the need to use the keypad. Everywhere takes card payments, apart from Chinese establishments.

The shop my wife runs has strict protocols for handling cash. The few that wish to pay by cash are asked to deposit it onto a tray. The tray is then tipped into a bucket of bleach solution so the cash is sanitised before anyone touches it. Card machines are wiped down with sanitiser after every use.

I've hardly carried cash since the start of the pandemic.

Although it is becoming more acceptable here to pay by card it is still a predominantly cash only society. On-line transactions are obviously electronic but only the larger value store purchases, in my case, are paid by card (washing machines, televisions, air conditioners, etc).

However, when it came to buying our new fridge-freezer my card was not accepted by the cashier's reader and my wife's account did not have the required amount available. That meant I needed to use the ATM (in store) to draw the necessary cash (two transactions as the dispensing slot is not large enough to eject more that 20 notes).

More prize berk behaviour, courtesy of the pub near us. We saw a group of four people leave yesterday evening and cram themselves into a taxi (just an ordinary cab, not a big black one). The Scottish Government has said that it is mandatory for both drivers and passengers to wear face coverings. So guess what; not a single face covering among any of them.

More prize berk behaviour, courtesy of the pub near us. We saw a group of four people leave yesterday evening and cram themselves into a taxi (just an ordinary cab, not a big black one). The Scottish Government has said that it is mandatory for both drivers and passengers to wear face coverings. So guess what; not a single face covering among any of them.

Normally I would say, "Let Darwin sort this problem out." But sadly, it will probably be someone who wasn't in the cab that ends up with the virus.

CD

I'm going to wear this the next time I go to the Co-op.

There was a report on BBC Scotland last week about having to wear face coverings in shops, a rule that came into being last Friday. They interviewed several shoppers, one of whom was a chap who (I would guess) was about 50. He declared that this would be his last shopping trip "until the rules change." It might, we thought, be rather a long time until he goes to a shop again unless he decides to grow up in the meantime.

What is it about these self-styled macho men who somehow think that wearing a mask or other covering is beneath them? Are they scared that it will undermine their masculinity? Or are they simply just utter prats?

Back
Top Bottom