How is the corona virus affecting you?

Yesterday, I went into the local city - needed an essential chicken supply, and figured I'd hit the smaller grocery store as well. So I stopped off at a breakfast venue shortly after they opened, and had an outdoors meal. Then on to get the rather rarified chicken supply - non-adhesive shelf liners! (I have a batch of baby chicks, and as they grow but before they can go outside to their coop, they NEED to move to bigger cardboard boxes as they grow - said boxes need liners at the bottoms for um, biological reasons?) I arrived at both actual stores during their "senior hours" - and the store with the liners (Bed Bath and Beyond) had one sales clerk and three customers, including myself.

It's a sad fact that folks here pay more attention to wearing masks on motorbikes than they do helmets. In our village I'll bet 90% of riders going past my gate are wearing masks but only 40% wearing helmets.

The total deaths from Covid-19 up to now has been 58 whereas traffic accident deaths last year averaged 66 per day of which 80% were motorcyclists.

Last edited:
It's a sad fact that folks here pay more attention to wearing masks on motorbikes than they do helmets. In our village I'll bet 90% of riders going past my gate are wearing masks but only 40% wearing helmets.

The total deaths from Covid-19 up to now has been 58 whereas traffic accidents last year averaged 66 per day of which 80% were motorcyclists.

Texas doesn't require helmets for motorcycle riders. They tried to pass helmet laws, but this is Texas, so bikers bitched and moaned about their "right" to be stupid and ride a motorcycle without a helmet, even on the busy freeways of Houston and Dallas.

Same thing happened when seatbelts became mandatory because of Federal laws.

That is EXACTLY the attitude we are seeing with the same people concerning masks. Somehow, they equate wearing a little paper mask around strangers as an infringement on their god-given Constitutional rights.

Care to guess who they are going to vote for in November?

CD

I have to pat myself on the back just a little for keeping my tongue in check while surrounded by my family in Houston who are diehard Trump supporters. My sister, whom I talk to a lot, is also an RN, and I know she is struggling with mixed feelings, but will vote for Trump, anyway. My parents are lost causes, but have mostly kept quiet, as have I. I just don't understand blind loyalty to a politician or party. I expect to see good results from the people I vote for.

On the plus side, people here in Houston seem to be okay with the mask mandate. I've only seen one person insist on entering a store, an auto parts store (new tail light for sister's SUV) without a mask, and he was told to leave, which he did.

It looks like I will be here until Sunday. There is a bigger list of things I need to deal with than I expected. I am, at least, enjoying cooking for my family. They all love my cooking. We "liberals" are good for something, I guess. :wink:

CD

Oh, at the end of my five-hour drive to Houston, I popped into a store to get one thing. There was one employee there, and I was the only customer. As I was paying for my purchase, I suddenly realized I wasn't wearing my mask. I promptly apologized to the employee, who was very understanding and polite. So, I'm certainly not perfect. But, at least I try, as they say. :facepalm:

CD

Oh, at the end of my five-hour drive to Houston, I popped into a store to get one thing. There was one employee there, and I was the only customer. As I was paying for my purchase, I suddenly realized I wasn't wearing my mask. I promptly apologized to the employee, who was very understanding and polite. So, I'm certainly not perfect. But, at least I try, as they say. :facepalm:

CD
I had to laugh when I got my takeout pizza last night.

Thursday night, and just before 5PM, so I was the only customer. I pulled up, got my mask on, walked inside, maybe five people working, and as soon as the door opened, they all immediately put their masks on.

Ordered my pizza, went out to wait, back inside 10 minutes later...same thing. Obviously, when no one's around, those masks are dropping faster than a pair of undies on prom night. :laugh:

I had to laugh when I got my takeout pizza last night.

Thursday night, and just before 5PM, so I was the only customer. I pulled up, got my mask on, walked inside, maybe five people working, and as soon as the door opened, they all immediately put their masks on.

Ordered my pizza, went out to wait, back inside 10 minutes later...same thing. Obviously, when no one's around, those masks are dropping faster than a pair of undies on prom night. :laugh:

I do think about that kind of thing, but I haven't seen any kind of real data to suggest that food handling is a significant spreader of Covid-19. Maybe it is, but it is not getting much attention.

The scary thing about Covid-19 is that a person who has it can walk past me in a hallway while he's talking on his phone, and I can catch it.

CD

I do think about that kind of thing, but I haven't seen any kind of real data to suggest that food handling is a significant spreader of Covid-19. Maybe it is, but it is not getting much attention.

The scary thing about Covid-19 is that a person who has it can walk past me in a hallway while he's talking on his phone, and I can catch it.

CD
To me, it's optics as much as anything. If I owned that business, I'd make sure the employees understood that. Seeing someone hurriedly put on a mask as you walk through the door says, "I'm only wearing this because you caught me."

Especially with counter workers, where they're handling credit cards, and passing pens back and forth to sign receipts, wearing a mask says, "Hey, I'm taking this seriously."

I also giggled a bit at their sign that said, "If you'd like your cashier to wear gloves, just ask!"

To me, it's optics as much as anything. If I owned that business, I'd make sure the employees understood that. Seeing someone hurriedly put on a mask as you walk through the door says, "I'm only wearing this because you caught me."

Especially with counter workers, where they're handling credit cards, and passing pens back and forth to sign receipts, wearing a mask says, "Hey, I'm taking this seriously."

I also giggled a bit at their sign that said, "If you'd like your cashier to wear gloves, just ask!"

I picked up a sausage biscuit and coffee at McD's yesterday morning, and the guy held the PIN pad out of the drive-thru window for me to insert my card. He never touched my card. That was a first, for me.

A few businesses I have gone to have requested that customers use cards, instead of cash. That way, you insert your own card, and employees don't have to touch anything, and you don't have to handle change from a cashier.

CD

I picked up a sausage biscuit and coffee at McD's yesterday morning, and the guy held the PIN pad out of the drive-thru window for me to insert my card. He never touched my card. That was a first, for me.

A few businesses I have gone to have requested that customers use cards, instead of cash. That way, you insert your own card, and employees don't have to touch anything, and you don't have to handle change from a cashier.

CD
I went to KFC a few weeks ago, and they held out a chicken bucket for my card!

Don't you have contactless cards in the USA? Here most people have them. You just hover your card over the machine. No contact required. Same if you go on buses.

Don't you have contactless cards in the USA? Here most people have them. You just hover your card over the machine. No contact required. Same if you go on buses.

Yes, we have them. We also have ApplePay, which allows you to pay with an iPhone. I don't have either one.

CD

We have all that, but coverage can be spotty. Also, depending on where you live, many merchants may not take bank/credit cards at all. They don't want to pay the processing fee.

In my area, if a place is a mom-and-pop shop, chances are, they don't take cards. The best you can hope for is a third-party ATM inside, and they'll tell you to take cash out of that.

Hell, my doctor takes cash and checks only.

ApplePay and all that...some places take it, some don't. Lowe's, a massive DIY chain, they don't take it. DLM, my favorite grocery store, just three locations, they take it. Some places have the capability, but the workers don't know how to use it. The local greenhouse I go to, they use an ApplePay point-of-sale system, but no one knew how to use it for contactless payments until I showed them how. Think about that for a minute... 🤔

I'm still surprised at how many times I go somewhere, pay with my phone, and the person at the register says, "Wow, I haven't ever seen that before!"

The first time I went to McD's after the pandemic started, so that meant drive-through, I asked about paying with my phone, and they couldn't do it through the window, so that's a step back, that's for sure.

Back
Top Bottom