How is the corona virus affecting you?

I don't understand that. If you are sick, you need to see a doctor, especially with an infection. They know how to handle a patient in quarantine. Are they going to wait for you to arrive at a hospital ER in an ambulance? :thumbsup:

CD

Yes they are. Unfortunately that is the reality of the lockdown here. I might get steroids send to me through the mail. Even cancer patients are not treated if it's not life theatening.

I am upset about it too, and was before I got infected

I have just read an email from my friend in County Durham, where there are stricter lockdown measures being applied. This is part of what she told me:

"I'm glad to see that the rules for the north-east are abundantly clear. From what I can make out, some people (in groups of up to six) can meet outdoors, but not indoors, although some people can meet indoors and some people can't meet indoors or outdoors."

I have just read an email from my friend in County Durham, where there are stricter lockdown measures being applied. This is part of what she told me:

"I'm glad to see that the rules for the north-east are abundantly clear. From what I can make out, some people (in groups of up to six) can meet outdoors, but not indoors, although some people can meet indoors and some people can't meet indoors or outdoors."

I need a book about logic to understand that.

I need a book about logic to understand that.
I shouldn't bother...there's no logic involved in anything our government decides. Yesterday, one cabinet minister freely admitted she didn't know the answer to a question about what the rules were and then the buffoon we have for a Prime Minister said that he "misspoke" after being asked the same question. In other words, he just spouted the first load of tripe that came into his empty head and then, it seems, somebody informed him that he had got it hopelessly wrong.

Shambles? I only wish it was as good as that.

Windigo, that sounds crazy, but I get it, you don't make the rules. Here, even when lots of medical procedures where shut down, you could still call your doc or do a telehealth appointment, and if needed, they'd get you in for a more thorough exam or to the hospital. It's just that they kind of controlled the access for a while. Now, it's pretty much business-as-usual, except for having to wear a mask while in the doc's office. I hope you can keep that under control.

Talked to my brother Ron last night. He's a teacher, and they've been doing distance learning for the kids since the schools opened earlier this month. All of a sudden, no warning, they're being told to return to the classroom in three weeks, schools are opening. :(

Also talked to a friend of mine who had COVID (i mentioned her earlier). She got it, her husband got it, and one of her kids got it. They're all over it now, but now her hair is falling out. Apparently, that's another possible side effect for some folks.

While a lot of governments seem to be mishandling this, it also seems a tough time to be a leader. I have the impression that science doesn't know so much about the virus, what symptoms it causes, what after effects it has, how to treat it, and decisions and guidelines change on the go.

Here in Portugal schools reopened almost 1 month ago. The mother of one of my colleagues is a teacher, and 2 weeks after the reopening there were already 3 classes in quarantine...

Windigo, that sounds crazy, but I get it, you don't make the rules. Here, even when lots of medical procedures where shut down, you could still call your doc or do a telehealth appointment, and if needed, they'd get you in for a more thorough exam or to the hospital. It's just that they kind of controlled the access for a while. Now, it's pretty much business-as-usual, except for having to wear a mask while in the doc's office. I hope you can keep that under control.

Yeah as I said I can send her an email with the pic, but she can't let me visit if my husband turns out to have corona.
I have an appointment in the physical for tuesday which I can go to IF my husband is declared negative to corona. If it wasn't for this corona thing she would have let me come today.

Because she thinks I have pyoderma gangnerosum (don't look at the pics) . It's a chronic, hard to treat, type of skin ulcer caused by IBD that causes severe pain and difficulty fitting the appliance. Hopefully tuesday will prove it's something else, otherwise prednisone is back in my life..

While a lot of governments seem to be mishandling this, it also seems a tough time to be a leader. I have the impression that science doesn't know so much about the virus, what symptoms it causes, what after effects it has, how to treat it, and decisions and guidelines change on the go.

Here in Portugal schools reopened almost 1 month ago. The mother of one of my colleagues is a teacher, and 2 weeks after the reopening there were already 3 classes in quarantine...

Science doesn't have all the answers, but I'll take science over politics every time.

CD

I have the impression that science doesn't know so much about the virus, what symptoms it causes, what after effects it has, how to treat it, and decisions and guidelines change on the go.
Science is a learn-as-you-go thing, which is why we've gotten some conflicting info from the scientists along the way. The problem is the leadership. They want a simple, concrete answer, and they want it now, and when they're told there isn't one, they get in front of the cameras and make one up, then, when the info on the virus changes as we learn more, they point back at the science community and say, "See, they don't know what they're talking about!" 😒

Science is a learn-as-you-go thing, which is why we've gotten some conflicting info from the scientists along the way. The problem is the leadership. They want a simple, concrete answer, and they want it now, and when they're told there isn't one, they get in front of the cameras and make one up, then, when the info on the virus changes as we learn more, they point back at the science community and say, "See, they don't know what they're talking about!" 😒

Exactly!

CD

Agreed. But there's (naturally) pressure from people for clear guidance. A lot of people don't understand this is a situation that needs to be managed with flexibility and demand a clear direction. Plenty of people still don't understand how science works.

The best science challenges itself constantly to see if anything has changed, and if things have changed then the science changes too. And again....and again. Unfortunately most politicians and the general public don't understand this, and instead see it as "proof" that science doesn't know what its doing. :(

It's why I absolutely despise the term "settled science." Science, by its very nature, is never settled. It's merely a reflection of what we've figured out based on the evidence we have so far.

Back
Top Bottom