How is the corona virus affecting you?

Here the whole country has that attitude, and new measures taken have zero effect because nobody listens. Vulnerable people like me are forced to just stay at home, I can't even go for a walk because people will literally do nothing. They only wear masks on public transport because of the hefty fines, but otherwise people are completely lax and the police says 'we don't have the capacity to manage this crisis' so basically it's everyone for themselves. Our government keeps delaying a lockdown because we have elections this year and our prime party wants to be re -elected and a second lockdown will ruin their chance of getting a new term on the cushions. It's really bad all around.

We have a presidential election coming up in November, too. One candidate is saying, "Covid-19 is no big deal -- only effects old, weak people," and they have a big following. Survival of the fittest. Although, my city is almost all supporters of that candidate's party, but I've seen pretty much complete compliance with mandatory mask regulations. But, I live in a very well educated city. I'm sure there are parts of the Dallas metropolitan area that have more issues with mask compliance.

CD

We have a presidential election coming up in November, too. One candidate is saying, "Covid-19 is no big deal -- only effects old, weak people," and they have a big following. Survival of the fittest. Although, my city is almost all supporters of that candidate's party, but I've seen pretty much complete compliance with mandatory mask regulations. But, I live in a very well educated city. I'm sure there are parts of the Dallas metropolitan area that have more issues with mask compliance.

CD

Yup you don't have to tell me who that is. This attitude prevails here too.

Generally, the guests at our hotel have been very well behaved, observing social distancing, one way systems and queuing patiently (mostly Brits, mostly retired at this time of year). That was until yesterday, when a new party arrived from Germany. No compliance whatsoever. Makes my blood boil - the Cypriots have worked so hard to suppress the virus (single figure new cases per day) and selfish tourists are undermining their efforts. Good job I'm going home tomorrow. I'm already having nightly confrontations with Big Herman over access to the swimming pool. He likes to swim 100 lengths at dusk when everyone else has vacated the pool. So do I. Trouble is, Big Herman can't count, so he carries on swimming until someone tells him to stop, or until the pool closes at 8 p.m. Words have to be said around 7 p.m. so that I can get my stint in.

My husband suddenly had high fever and unexplained pain on his chest last night, he was deeply cold before that and was shaking all the way. He said he had never felt like this, and he's someone who never had any health issues in his life. So we're testing him for corona, not me as I have had no symptoms at all and we're not allowed to test without symptoms due to capacity limits. Even if your partner has corona.

So we're waiting on our call to be answered now, and hopefully we can test soon. I really pray it's not Corona, I would be completely lost without him :(

Edit: husband can get tested on wednesday.

Last edited:
My husband suddenly had high fever and unexplained pain on his chest last night, he was deeply cold before that and was shaking all the way. He said he had never felt like this, and he's someone who never had any health issues in his life. So we're testing him for corona, not me as I have had no symptoms at all and we're not allowed to test without symptoms due to capacity limits. Even if your partner has corona.

So we're waiting on our call to be answered now, and hopefully we can test soon. I really pray it's not Corona, I would be completely lost without him :(

Edit: husband can get tested on wednesday.

Fingers crossed. Pain on the chest isn't usually a symptom. Has he got a dry cough?

After monitoring various news sources and comparing infection rates, we took the decision to go ahead with on our holiday to France - and I have no regrets whatsoever. It may not quite have been the holiday we planned, but it was so good to get away and at least feel a little bit "normal".

We were careful and avoided large towns and cities...mostly stayed on very quiet campsites or on vineyards, and we mostly used our own toilet/shower/sink instead of using the communal facilities (which all required masks). We cycled into a few small towns for shopping, drinks and meals and found that bars and restaurants were variable (same as at home)...some had tables widely spaced, others not so much. But we only ever sat outside to minimise risk. Mask wearing in supermarkets was pretty much 100% though - with most of them being worn correctly. And many people also wore them outside even if it wasn't mandated.

Travel-wise we felt very safe: in the tunnel you are no longer allowed to leave your vehicle (that's fine for us...we have all our facilities on board, and can even walk up and down to stretch our legs!), but the terminals were deserted anyway...I've never seen it so quiet. Every petrol station we used in France was automated - no cashiers at all. Though when we stopped for diesel and LPG when we first arrived in Calais we did manage to pick up a migrant (no idea how he got on board!) I guess he got a bit a of surprise when he saw we were heading south, not back to the UK....he had a good 10 mile walk back to Calais *lol*

Coming back we filled our UK government passenger locator forms....we could have lied and said that we visited Germany and only transited France and Belgium without stopping and therefore wouldn't have needed to quarantine. But we were honest, and we're now on day 10 of our 14 day quarantine. Though nobody asked to see the forms at passport control, and no-one has checked up on us yet - the system relies on honesty and integrity.....I'm not sure how reliable that's going to be!

when a new party arrived from Germany. No compliance whatsoever
Epic mate, my close friend is married to a delightful lady from Berlin. Both involved in the tourist industry for many year. She explained it as a class thing. The German working class can afford the holidays that the British middle class take. West Germans have the same views of most East Germans. I love Blackpool but hell would freeze over before I would visit on Scottish weeks.

I have an infection near my stoma, but can't get it checked due to corona virus restrictions. I really hope it won't get worse, because that would be pretty dire by the time we're out of quarantine if my husband tests positive.

Try to see a doctor. An infection in my abdomen put me in the hospital back in February. The secondary effects of that infection still dog me.

CD

Try to see a doctor. An infection in my abdomen put me in the hospital back in February. The secondary effects of that infection still dog me.

CD

I am not allowed to see a doctor, my husband is in corona quarantine. That's what really concerns me about this. If your family is in quarantine, you're not allowed to go out either here. I'm sending a pic to my stoma nurse, and hope she can help me that way.

I'm sorry that happened to you by the way, this is no joke and I know from an earlier infection I had too.

I am not allowed to see a doctor, my husband is in corona quarantine. That's what really concerns me about this. If your family is in quarantine, you're not allowed to go out either here. I'm sending a pic to my stoma nurse, and hope she can help me that way.

I'm sorry that happened to you by the way, this is no joke and I know from an earlier infection I had too.

I don't understand that. If you are sick, you need to see a doctor, especially with an infection. They know how to handle a patient in quarantine. Are they going to wait for you to arrive at a hospital ER in an ambulance? :thumbsup:

CD

Back
Top Bottom