How is the corona virus affecting you?

I completely fail to see how a ten o'clock pub curfew is going to help. If anything, people will pack into pubs even more because of the shorter time available for drinking. And you can pretty much guarantee that lots of these places will simply lock the doors at ten and have a bunch of regulars drinking away until late.

Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish First Minister, said yesterday that she would have preferred to close pubs, but was constrained by UK Government policy. We haven't been to a pub in ages and that isn't going to change any time soon.

They opened the bars in Texas, and it went horribly wrong, so they closed them, again. Apparently people who have had a lot to drink don't make sensible choices. Who'd have thunk it?

CD

Also very tiresome hearing Bozo attempting to sound Churchillian. The Guardian's John Crace described him as a "Poundland Churchill" which I thought rather generous. You can buy the odd useful thing in Poundland.

He (Bozo) also claimed that the increase in cases was down to the "British love of freedom," contrasting us with Italy and Germany. So the Italians and Germans don't believe in "freedom", then? This little effort managed to insult Italians, Germans and indeed Brits. The "freedom-loving" bit was essentially a backhanded compliment, with the implication that the increase in cases was down to the people and, of course, nothing to do with the Government's perpetual mishandling of the situation.

Wow, you are sounding more and more like us by the minute.

CD

Wow, you are sounding more and more like us by the minute.

CD
Not really surprising, as Bozo has clearly picked out the bits of the Trump Playbook that he likes. Surround yourself with sycophants and nutters - tick. Pander to the extreme right - tick. Deny all knowledge of anything you've ever said - tick.

Not really surprising, as Bozo has clearly picked out the bits of the Trump Playbook that he likes. Surround yourself with sycophants and nutters - tick. Pander to the extreme right - tick. Deny all knowledge of anything you've ever said - tick.
I wish I did not have friends relatives living in the UK. I also have a strong social conscience. If I did not my schadenfreude would know no bounds

I just read in the news that Europe is entering a second wave. I guess it's official now. It was reported here that young people are the group getting it most often now, so the death rate is lower than the peak rate in April. But, it seems only a matter of time before they spread it up the family tree. This virus is tenacious.

CD

With depressing predictability, the return of students to universities has produced a large number of cases. Yes, let's have massive Freshers' Week parties, nothing bad can happen, can it?

I hope these people have some academic ability, as they appear to have no common sense whatsoever.

I just read in the news that Europe is entering a second wave. I guess it's official now. It was reported here that young people are the group getting it most often now, so the death rate is lower than the peak rate in April. But, it seems only a matter of time before they spread it up the family tree. This virus is tenacious.

CD

Indeed. I'm still in lockdown here and that is where I'm staying for the foreseeable. Yesterday there were 6,634 new coronavirus cases, making it the highest daily figure since mass testing began.

Midwest, Chicago, IL area - Our governor is doing a phased reopening. Our kids are doing remote learning for now. I am terrified about them going back anytime soon especially since there have been outbreaks in which parents KNEW their child was infected and sent them to school anyway. I think there will be another upswing as flu season kicks off. I also worry about the people that are severely depressed due to isolation. I've seen this especially in seniors.

I had to get tested on Wednesday because I'm having outpatient surgery today. I'm a bit nervous about going into any medical setting but it has been put off for over six months now. I escaped it in July when I was in the hospital for ten days. I'm hoping for the best this time as well.

I hope all of you and your families stay safe!

CD
Around here, a lot of people I know have just given in to the weariness, I suppose, and have taken more of a "screw it, I can't stay locked up forever" attitude.

MrsT and I are still in our respectfully cautious mode - no haircuts, no dining in, no going out for the hell of it, and we do get teased/shamed a bit...all by younger people, naturally.

Around here, a lot of people I know have just given in to the weariness, I suppose, and have taken more of a "screw it, I can't stay locked up forever" attitude.

MrsT and I are still in our respectfully cautious mode - no haircuts, no dining in, no going out for the hell of it, and we do get teased/shamed a bit...all by younger people, naturally.

Here the whole country has that attitude, and new measures taken have zero effect because nobody listens. Vulnerable people like me are forced to just stay at home, I can't even go for a walk because people will literally do nothing. They only wear masks on public transport because of the hefty fines, but otherwise people are completely lax and the police says 'we don't have the capacity to manage this crisis' so basically it's everyone for themselves. Our government keeps delaying a lockdown because we have elections this year and our prime party wants to be re -elected and a second lockdown will ruin their chance of getting a new term on the cushions. It's really bad all around.

Same here in Portugal. I'm being very conservative, only saw 2 friends and my family since the lockdown in March, only ate out 2 or 3 times, quit a lot of activities like going to the movies, the gym, the theater, in person dance lessons. Most people I know are living a regular life and I feel like some of my work mates think I'm being a p****. They got together in the office this week and they were boasting about how much they enjoyed being together again. Our office has all the safety measures in place but of course they didn't keep a distance from each other and they all went out to eat together. I think it's soon to be walking around like nothing's going on. I feel like everytime we go out we're taking a risk and we have to decide if it's worth it or not. I feel like taking the risk to see my family is worth it. Taking the risk to see my colleagues is not, no matter how much I like (some of) them.

Sometimes I think maybe it's best I do like some people and pretend nothing's going on and if I get sick at least I'd have enjoyed my last moments. The only high risk person I see (and the only person I see most weeks, to be honest) is my grandma but she's out and about living her best and will even go on an excursion to the north of the country next week. But last week I was listening to the news and I think it was Scotland's prime minister saying you can't let people decide if they want to take a risk or not because when they decide to take a risk they put everyone else at risk too.

Anyway I decided I'm trying an in-person dance class next week, my teacher's studio can only have 4 students and she currently only has one student. I take online classes but it's harder for the teacher to see you and correct you like this. I'll be wearing a mask the whole time, I'm not sure I will enjoy it, but we'll see.

I just have to say, I'm waiting on the patio at a local bar and grill, for a to-go order. Not a mask in sight, except for the workers, and I think I'm about the youngest one here.

Everyone's blaming this on the young'uns...I think the oldies aren't much better!

Melbourne's lock down has a lot of opposition with protests about being locked up. South Island here is level 1 but north island 2, but relaxing now. The main cluster was from a Polynesian church in Auckland. They all met at church under lock down, up to 200 people, they just don't care.
You guys going into winter need to be careful.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom