How is the corona virus affecting you?

I think South Korea used a similar app early on and credited it (along with other measures) with getting a handle on the outbreak very quickly, in that the citizenry accepted that it was an issue of "the greater good," so they were ok with it.

Can you imagine what would happen if the US government were to try to implement such an app? Conspiracy theorists and "militias" would take up arms and storm the gates of government. :ohmy:

CD

TastyReuben you have a great point there, Asian cultures usually put a huge emphasis on the greater good and doing what’s best for the collective and not only for the individual. As individualistic societies, we in the West are favoring being “free” to manage my own risk and taking my decisions (I am clearly following that route myself when I’ve decided to not quarantine myself even though I could, even though no one is asking me to do it). Just different approaches.

Back during the Great Depression and WWII, Americans had the "all for one, one for all" mentality, too. People willingly made sacrifices for the greater good. The baby boom here really turned that on its head. It became "what's in it for me" time. BTW, baby boomers think that it was the Millennials that opened that can of worms, but they just carried on a tradition started by the boomers.

That attitude is why we can't seem to get everyone on the same page with Covid-19 prevention. It is not enough for most people to follow CDC guidelines for limiting the spread of Covid, everyone has to do it.

CD

TastyReuben you have a great point there, Asian cultures usually put a huge emphasis on the greater good and doing what’s best for the collective and not only for the individual. As individualistic societies, we in the West are favoring being “free” to manage my own risk and taking my decisions (I am clearly following that route myself when I’ve decided to not quarantine myself even though I could, even though no one is asking me to do it). Just different approaches.

I don't think you need to "quarantine" yourself. Wear a mask in public, practice social distancing, and avoid crowds. That's enough. Now, if you were to get Covid (we all hope not), then you would need to quarantine yourself.

CD

I don't think you need to "quarantine" yourself. Wear a mask in public, practice social distancing, and avoid crowds. That's enough. Now, if you were to get Covid (we all hope not), then you would need to quarantine yourself.

CD

Well unless your risk of dying of Covid19 is high ofcourse, then a light quaratine for yourself is recommended. As I and some other folk here are doing due to healthy issues.

The latest here in Portugal is the government wants to force everyone to install a government-run app that tracks where you've been and tells you if you've been close to someone who's been diagnosed with Covid. They're planning on imposing fines on people who don't have the app, and how they will police this is beyond my understanding. People are going wild about the government forcing them to install an app and some complain the government will use the app to spy on them. These are the same people who have willingly installed Tik Tok, Facebook and Instagram on their phones. The government app uses a lot less data from the phone than any of those apps, by the way. Why the government wants people to install the app is something I don't understand, my hunch is they will use it to track people who tested positive and are not observing social isolation.
The government hasn't forced us but almost half of Finns have installed a government-run app which tracks your goings through Bluetooth and tells if you've been in close contact (over ~15 minutes closer than ~3 m) with someone anonymous using the app and diagnosed with Covid-19. In such a case, the app gives you instructions how to proceed. The app doesn't give details on where you've been exposed to Covid-19 (or by whom) but rings a bell. I've installed the app voluntarily. Finland is small and high(est) on the list of uncorrupted countries so we mostly trust our officials and each other.

Well unless your risk of dying of Covid19 is high ofcourse, then a light quaratine for yourself is recommended. As I and some other folk here are doing due to healthy issues.

Yes - shielding is recommended for those at risk. I suppose I'm more or less doing that. If I was younger and with no underlying health issues I'd probably risk going to restaurants/shops sometimes and being careful. In the end its a personal decision how much to shield or quarantine, unless you have symptoms or are diagnosed.

Can you imagine what would happen if the US government were to try to implement such an app? Conspiracy theorists and "militias" would take up arms and storm the gates of government. :ohmy:

CD
For those who don't know, this is no joke. I'm 100% certain that this would happen, at least somewhere. We can't even get people to wear masks to avoid killing their loved ones. So, the CDC and other entities need to use other means to infer the spread of people after social gatherings. A lot of people disable their location on their phone due to privacy concerns. But, it's still possible to figure out locations based on the apps we download onto our phones. Note that (officially) this doesn't allow the tracker to get personal data on the individual, but rather just shows that there is someone going from here to there. Here's a demo of that data gathering after the Sturgis motorcycle rally in August:

It would be so much better if we had a model such as the one South Korea adopted. But, as caseydog says, our country has too much emotional baggage to ever agree to this.

For those who don't know, this is no joke. I'm 100% certain that this would happen, at least somewhere. We can't even get people to wear masks to avoid killing their loved ones.

Oh, yes, I was not joking. I also know for sure the nut jobs would come out of the woodwork, armed to the teeth, and show up at government offices.

Michigan has a big problem with so called "militias." One "militia" group was plotting to kidnap the Governor of Michigan, put her on trial, and if they found her guilty, execute her. :ohmy: 13 people were arested, due to undercover police infiltrating their group, and gathering evidence. Why did they want to do this? Because of the Governors mandates relating to Covid-19 "infringed on people's constitutional rights," in their view.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz4yHH2OwSI

Now, imagine what a Covid App would stir up in these nimrods.

CD

Last edited:
These are Civil Protection Officers who patrol bars restaurants etc and enforce the current regulations. The sane people (majority) are very happy with their presence.

• Interior Minister and Chief of the National Civil Protection Headquarters Davor Božinović announced on Monday that wearing masks indoors would be obligatory and social gatherings attended by more than 50 people would be restricted. “We are introducing the obligation to wear masks indoors, where people come into contact with each other, and it is not possible to maintain a physical distance of at least two meters,” Božinović said at a noon press conference of the National Civil Protection Headquarters.
  • “Citizens are obliged to use face masks or medical masks in the correct way all the time – over the mouth and nose,” he added.
  • Masks must be worn by employees of healthcare institutions and people visiting patients, employees of social welfare institutions providing accommodation services and visitors to users, drivers and other employees in public transport and passengers in public transport. They should also be worn by employees and customers in stores, employees in the catering industry who come into contact with guests or participate in serving or preparing food, drinks and beverages, guests in catering establishments, except while sitting in their seats and consume food, drinks or beverages, etc.
  • Božinović said that special recommendations have been made for all gatherings where more than 50 people are expected, and they relate to professional artistic performances and programs, amateur cultural and artistic performances and programs, cinema screenings, sports competitions, gatherings during weddings, funerals, the last farewell and laying of urns, religious rites, exhibitions in museums, galleries and other exhibition spaces.

1602909014877.png

Good to see big crowds at the races today, big day at hawkes bay. People dancing and arms around each other. Looks like pre covid. Kiwis are allowed to fly to New South Wales and Northern Territory. No isolation required. Full planes back and forwards now.

Russ

Good to see big crowds at the races today, big day at hawkes bay. People dancing and arms around each other. Looks like pre covid. Kiwis are allowed to fly to New South Wales and Northern Territory. No isolation required. Full planes back and forwards now.

Russ
That's great to hear Russ. See what happens when you have a decent leader in charge? 🙂

This has been installed at our local Tesco-Lotus and probably other TL stores also.

You need to look into the "screen" and it takes your temperature and detects whether you are wearing a mask before it will open the gates.

Believe it or not but don't forget that you heard it here first!

This has been installed at our local Tesco-Lotus and probably other TL stores also.

You need to look into the "screen" and it takes your temperature and detects whether you are wearing a mask before it will open the gates.

Believe it or not but don't forget that you heard it here first!

View attachment 48476

Not sure what I think about those things.. Are they the future? As someone with a chronic condition, this scares me because I often have a fever that is non contagious and has to do with my chronic inflammation. This would mean people like me get banned from stores, which is a scary thought for those like me who have nobody to fall back on.

Not sure what I think about those things.. Are they the future? As someone with a chronic condition, this scares me because I often have a fever that is non contagious and has to do with my chronic inflammation. This would mean people like me get banned from stores, which is a scary thought for those like me who have nobody to fall back on.

I have not encountered one myself yet but I'm sure there are alternative entrance procedures in special cases.

Back
Top Bottom