How is the corona virus affecting you?

I have not encountered one myself yet but I'm sure there are alternative entrance procedures in special cases.

Well in places like the UK people with bowel conditions like me have a government issued public toilet key and other accesibility options indeed. However, here in NL such things don't exist. This country is known as one of the worst in terms of disabled accesability, so I very much doubt something like a badge for people with pre existing conditions would be realised. Patient organisations here have lobbied for years for example for an easy acces card for public toilets, but they are constantly denied as well.

So I would hope you are right, but I wouldn't have too much faith in it. People without disabilities often underestimate how difficult such systems can be to navigate or turn around.

This has been installed at our local Tesco-Lotus and probably other TL stores also.

You need to look into the "screen" and it takes your temperature and detects whether you are wearing a mask before it will open the gates.

Believe it or not but don't forget that you heard it here first!

Stores would have to repair or replace them every week in the US. I am sure the right wingnuts would just plow through them.

CD

Well in places like the UK people with bowel conditions like me have a government issued public toilet key and other accesibility options indeed. However, here in NL such things don't exist. This country is known as one of the worst in terms of disabled accesability, so I very much doubt something like a badge for people with pre existing conditions would be realised. Patient organisations here have lobbied for years for example for an easy acces card for public toilets, but they are constantly denied as well.

So I would hope you are right, but I wouldn't have too much faith in it. People without disabilities often underestimate how difficult such systems can be to navigate or turn around.

We actually have very good accessibility laws here. Also, most public restrooms are open -- no key or money needed. They are mostly in stores. They are required to be wheelchair accessible. Elevators and building guidance signs must have brail on them for the blind. Fire alarms must have bright flashing lights for the deaf.

Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 - Wikipedia

CD

We actually have very good accessibility laws here. Also, most public restrooms are open -- no key or money needed. They are mostly in stores. They are required to be wheelchair accessible. Elevators and building guidance signs must have brail on them for the blind. Fire alarms must have bright flashing lights for the deaf.

Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 - Wikipedia

CD

That's great!

Here most toilets are paid, lots of buildings have no lift (even mental hospitals) , not all stores are wheelchair accesible, no wheelchair ramps are created at (all) festivals etc etc. All kinds of acts and agreements were signed, but none actually fulfilled. Some partially.

That's great!

Here most toilets are paid, lots of buildings have no lift (even mental hospitals) , not all stores are wheelchair accesible, no wheelchair ramps are created at (all) festivals etc etc. All kinds of acts and agreements were signed, but none actually fulfilled. Some partially.

I'm really surprised by this - I always thought Scandinavia was enlightened in such matters.

While I admire Jacinda Arden, let's not forget New Zealand is an island and has kept its borders closed during most of the pandemic. You have new infections as soon as you have people mixing, and asking people to quarantine or arrive with proof of a negative Covid test isn't effective at all. If all countries closed all borders at the same time maybe we'd stop the virus spreading, but if there's new cases as soon as borders open, we'd only be buying time.

Don't get me started, celebrity politics is a joke. She was told to,close our borders three weeks earlier, more luck than management. People breaking out , and in, under guards noses. I'm not happy today.lol.

Russ

When I read the news this morning, my first thought was, "Rascal is going to blow a gasket."

If results are the bottom line, your liberal government has done a whole lot better with Covid-19 than our conservative one.

We are averaging 55,000 new cases per day, right now, and our President tells us the pandemic is almost over, 80-percent of people who wear masks get the virus, and we should open everything up. Our conservative Senate stands behind him, like obedient servants. Now, the Supreme court has a conservative majority, and will soon have a conservative super-majority. I'm already preparing to kiss my health insurance goodbye.

CD

While I admire Jacinda Arden, let's not forget New Zealand is an island and has kept its borders closed during most of the pandemic. You have new infections as soon as you have people mixing, and asking people to quarantine or arrive with proof of a negative Covid test isn't effective at all. If all countries closed all borders at the same time maybe we'd stop the virus spreading, but if there's new cases as soon as borders open, we'd only be buying time.

Her only job was working in a fish n chip shop. The Labour Party here have members who are part of their ctiteria for joining. They like gays, disabled, deaf and blind and immigrants fresh off the plane. They love immigrants, and just passed legislation so prisoners can vote, and snuck through an abortion clause that upset a lot of Christians. I was rsised to be labour when I learnt about the real world I changed to national.

Russ

And I'm not anti gay, my wife's family have them in their genes. I have gabrothers in law, who I really like and always have. Her oldest brother only came out about 10 years ago. I knew when I met him he was gay. We raced a horse together. I have gay nephews as well.

Russ

Last edited:
When I read the news this morning, my first thought was, "Rascal is going to blow a gasket."

If results are the bottom line, your liberal government has done a whole lot better with Covid-19 than our conservative one.

We are averaging 55,000 new cases per day, right now, and our President tells us the pandemic is almost over, 80-percent of people who wear masks get the virus, and we should open everything up. Our conservative Senate stands behind him, like obedient servants. Now, the Supreme court has a conservative majority, and will soon have a conservative super-majority. I'm already preparing to kiss my health insurance goodbye.

CD

Lol, the thing is people I know (own daughter) who is a teacher. She was indoctrinated at teachers college. They get them all their. She's very intelligent along with a lot of other people I know who vote for the person , not the policy. This government is the worst ever, promised 10,000 new houses in 3 years . Delivered 400. Promised light rail , nothing done. But they built a 500,00 slide outside parliament. and gave millions to people to write songs about their feelings during covid. I'm used to seeing and people doing stuff, getting things done. I don't like lazy people or governments.
I spoke to some muricans just after trump got power. They said the people that voted him in were all rednecks, not people that had travelled and experienced the world? Does that sum up trump voters to you??

Russ

Her only job was working in a fish n chip shop. The Labour Party here have members who are part of their ctiteria for joining. They like gays, disabled, deaf and blind and immigrants fresh off the plane. They love immigrants, and just passed legislation so prisoners can vote, and snuck through an abortion clause that upset a lot of Christians. I was rsised to be labour when I learnt about the real world I changed to national.

Russ

Jacinda Ardern

Fortune is a conservative magazine.

BTW, our soon to be Supreme Court justice has argued on the record that convicted felons should be able to own guns, under the second amendment of our constitution. But, they can't vote.

BTW, I went to lunch yesterday with a gay man, and have no problem with government aiding the disabled, deaf and blind. Do you?

I was raised conservative, but when I learned about the real world, I shifted left.

CD

Jacinda Ardern

Fortune is a conservative magazine.

BTW, our soon to be Supreme Court justice has argued on the record that convicted felons should be able to own guns, under the second amendment of our constitution. But, they can't vote.

BTW, I went to lunch yesterday with a gay man, and have no problem with government aiding the disabled, deaf and blind. Do you?

I was raised conservative, but when I learned about the real world, I shifted left.

CD

No trouble with anybody, my wife's best friend have deafness in her family, (she Maori) her son and my son are great mates, he's deaf in one ear. Don't know any blind people. I was raised poor with excepting everybody, poor working class. I've been president of Jaycees . School board of trustees , sports committees. You name it I've done it. I always like to,be the boss though. Chairman etc or president. I get things done!

Russ

Lol, the thing is people I know (own daughter) who is a teacher. She was indoctrinated at teachers college. They get them all their. She's very intelligent along with a lot of other people I know who vote for the person , not the policy. This government is the worst ever, promised 10,000 new houses in 3 years. Delivered 400. Promised light rail , nothing done. But they built a 500,00 slide outside parliament. and gave millions to people to write songs about their feelings during covid. I'm used to seeing and people doing stuff, getting things done. I don't like lazy people or governments.
I spoke to some muricans just after trump got power. They said the people that voted him in were all rednecks, not people that had travelled and experienced the world? Does that sum up trump voters to you??

Actually, his supporters share a lot of your views. They don't like government. Consider poor people "lazy," even if they work two low wage jobs to try and make ends meet. Higher education "indoctrinates" young minds. They actually hate any form of public transportation, like rail. They want the ACA (Obamacare) destroyed (but don't touch their Medicare!) -- let the private sector run healthcare, and those who can't afford private insurance, well, too bad.

CD

Back
Top Bottom