How is the corona virus affecting you?

I know a woman that insists she gets her hair done every week. She won't wear a mask and rarely washes her hands (gross, I know) and goes to the salon every Thursday. She is VERY upset by the lockdowns and gets herself worked up because she can't have her morning cup of coffee with neighbors. She's elderly and two people have died from it in her building. I don't "get" that mindset at all.

This is so absurd and shocking. Sounds like it’s not her issue, she probably (well, surely) thinks like many other people all over the world that she is over the rules, over the virus, invincible and it has been only a very annoying time.

Last edited:
This is so absurd and shocked. Sounds like it’s not her issue, she probably (well, surely) thinks like many other people all over the world that she is over the rules, over the virus, invincible and it has been only a very annoying time.

I don't understand her line of thinking. However, I think many people feel it has been going on "long enough" and that's that. Not to start a political debate, but I think our President (Trump) has made it a very divisive subject by refusing to wear masks, holding close-knit rallies and questioning the scientists' recommendations. I'm not suggesting that all Trump supporters don't wear masks. I'm just concerned that some of his supporters, like him, are in the high risk groups and they don't have access to the best hospital with the best medications.

That's a somewhat unwarranted statement. People - are people. It is better to try to understand exactly what that means. By rationalizing that definition, one does what many people do not - discipline their responses instead of reacting.

I have often noted that there are two extremes to people, those who blindly react to their environment and those who exercise intellectual and spiritual discipline to rationalize disciplined responses to their environment.

And certainly, there are more people at the reactant end of the scale, then at the disciplined response end. But they are your fellow humankind, citizens and neighbors. It is easy to take exceptions to behaviors and differences in other people, but it is better to do a little bit of work to rationalize and understand them, tolerate and perhaps, even provide some positive guidance.

The reactant personalities are collective. They share their common grounds as recognition for inclusion in community. And that is good. Yet they also draw unnecessary lines between themselves where they see variance in those common grounds.

The disciplined thinker is by nature a variant of the common ground, sometimes avoiding the crowds and community to find peace and contentment where the crowd and community may promote discontent and even hostility. Rational explanations are not favored among the reactant crowd. It is perhaps taken as an effort to manipulate and control - and nobody favors that. I learned long ago, that to try and help people is therefore a difficult task which takes an extraordinary talent.

Such are people. And you and I and they, must respect each other

People - are people. It is better to try to understand exactly what that means. By rationalizing that definition, one does what many people do not - discipline their responses instead of reacting.

I have often noted that there are two extremes to people, those who blindly react to their environment and those who exercise intellectual and spiritual discipline to rationalize disciplined responses to their environment.

And certainly, there are more people at the reactant end of the scale, then at the disciplined response end. But they are your fellow humankind, citizens and neighbors. It is easy to take exceptions to behaviors and differences in other people, but it is better to do a little bit of work to rationalize and understand them, tolerate and perhaps, even provide some positive guidance.

The reactant personalities are collective. They share their common grounds as recognition for inclusion in community. And that is good. Yet they also draw unnecessary lines between themselves where they see variance in those common grounds.

The disciplined thinker is by nature a variant of the common ground, sometimes avoiding the crowds and community to find peace and contentment where the crowd and community may promote discontent and even hostility. Rational explanations are not favored among the reactant crowd. It is perhaps taken as an effort to manipulate and control - and nobody favors that. I learned long ago, that to try and help people is therefore a difficult task which takes an extraordinary talent.

Such are people. And you and I and they, must respect each other.

The statement is in no way unjustified as far as I am concerned. I have enough direct experience and have a more than legitimate and justified personal opinion.

Respecting each others, it is curious how the word respect is so variable sometimes, don't you think?

I don't understand her line of thinking. However, I think many people feel it has been going on "long enough" and that's that. Not to start a political debate, but I think our President (Trump) has made it a very divisive subject by refusing to wear masks, holding close-knit rallies and questioning the scientists' recommendations. I'm not suggesting that all Trump supporters don't wear masks. I'm just concerned that some of his supporters, like him, are in the high risk groups and they don't have access to the best hospital with the best medications.

I don't even want to enter into political debates, especially towards countries that are not mine, but I understand your concern.

I don't think you'll find many, if any, Trump supporters on this forum.

I don't think you'll find many, if any, Trump supporters on this forum.

I only mentioned him because the woman I mentioned is a staunch supporter and openly states that she doesn't bother with a mask because he doesn't and doesn't speak about their importance. Otherwise, I don't believe it's a political issue at all. It's a human issue.

You aren't ikely going to get any arguments if you have less than enthusiastic comments to make about cheeto cheese puff (aka big orange baby), just saying!

My mom asked me yesterday why no one is making tunnels between houses so people can visit without going outside.

Make of that what you will.

If it makes you feel better, my parents actually had part of one of their dens redone with huge storage closets for the "Great Y2K Fallout". I have learned to just smile-and-nod. ;-)

P.S. Nevertheless, I used to wonder why they didn't build tunnels to houses so mail carriers didn't have to go out in inclement weather. LOL

but it is better to do a little bit of work to rationalize and understand them, tolerate and perhaps, even provide some positive guidance.

Not flipping likely, I have no interest in having a "kumbaya" moments with, Bigots, Xenophobes, Homophobe's, Fascists and Misogynist.

Not flipping likely, I have no interest in having a "kumbaya" moments with, Bigots, Xenophobes, Homophobe's, Fascists and Misogynist.

Well, I respect those types by steering clear of them.

Back
Top Bottom