How is the corona virus affecting you?

You know I think another problem in the US is those who wear masks because they are ordered to do so don't wear them properly. I wear a N-95 mask underneath with a 2nd antimicrobial mask over the top, and I make sure that they are close fitting around my face with no gaps. I am sure that just a well-fitting mask in general is good but I am a little paranoid I suppose. I have seen people wearing these cheap paper masks that gape around the sides, or they are wearing their masks over their mouths but not over their noses, etc. Pretty ineffectual to not cover the nose.

I get my my paper masks from my sister, an RN. They are the ones doctors and nurses generally wear at work. N95 masks are worn when exposer to viruses or powerful bacteria is unavoidable. She has to weat N95 masks to do Covid-19 swab tests. She tells me that are pretty hard to breathe through.

How do you get them -- my sister can't even get them for use outside of her job.

CD

Last edited:
Okay, it is my understanding is that if someone tests positive, but is asymptomatic, 10 days is a safe quarantine. Sound fishy to me.

Also, a person who has had Covid-19 should test positive for the antibodies to the virus that their immune system created during quarantine/illness. I don't think they should test positive for the virus. However, there are documented cases of people getting infected with Covid-19 more than once.

Covid-19 is a weird thing. It seems that the more science looks at it, the more surprises they get.

They DO know that wearing a mask, and social distancing WORKS to greatly reduce the spread of the virus. Now, if we can just get everyone to do it!

CD

I'm in IL (USA) and tested positive on a Friday (took the test two days before on Wednesday). I missed the call from the health department on that same Friday so I didn't speak to her until Monday. She counted the days from when I tested and said that I needed to quarantine until that Saturday which would make it a full 10 days. My caregiver tested that same Friday and it was negative; however, she had to quarantine for 5 ADDITIONAL days because it was assumed that she would have tested positive except she tested "too soon" for it to show up.

I had to reschedule my outpatient procedure due to the positive test. It is now scheduled for January. I was told that I do NOT need to retest because I would continue to show positive from 90-120 days (cannot remember which it is) from the positive test (it would be pointless). I specifically asked the health department rep. if I would be immune from catching the virus again and she said "we simply don't know". My take-away is that they think people are subject to reinfection after 90-120 days.

Regardless, I continue to wear a mask when I go in public which isn't very often. I do NOT wear one or require my caregiver to wear one when she is with me because we've both been exposed already. I really wish other people would wear them even if it means a slight chance of not spreading the virus but I don't think it's possible. People seem more hell-bent on exercising their rights not to wear a mask than consider the overall positive impact on society, as a whole, to wear one. It's sad. I remember a time when people cared about their communities, neighborhoods and one another.

I get my my paper masks from my sister, an RN. They are the ones doctors and nurses generally wear at work. N95 masks are worn when exposer to viruses or powerful bacteria is unavoidable. She has to weat N95 masks to do Covid-19 swab tests. She tells me that are pretty hard to breathe through.

How do you get them -- my sister can't even get them for use outside of her job.

CD
We are talking about a different kind of N-95 mask, apparently. My N-95s are a thick paper. The paper masks I was referring to in my previous post are those cheap, 1 layer flimsy ones they sell at the convenience stores. My stepdaughter got these N95s for us. Apparently you can get them on Amazon:
Amazon.com : n95 masks for sale

Last edited:

CD
If I had one of those kind of masks I sure wouldn't bother putting a cloth one over it, unless I wanted some fancy fashion statement, LOL!.

Today our government just announced Christmas measures and, being the good Catholic country that we are, the restrictions will be none. People are advised to avoid closed spaces and gatherings with too much people but they are otherwise free to do whatever they like, meaning we'll be seeing a surge in cases again in January. On the other hand, we can't circulate outside our area of residence from Dec 31 to January 4, meaning New Year's Eve is ruined. I was really looking forward to New Year's Eve and really disappointed with these decisions, because booze and friends and are always better than no booze and family drama, but this means I have no option but to spend New Year's Eve alone, and Christmas will be the usual drama.
Morning Luscious, the majority of Croatians are very subservient to the Vatican. A nation of 4 million. As a new EU country fiscal controls are rightly in place, apart from an 80 million Euro stipend given to the Vatican each year. The basic pension is very small here so pensioners and the unemployed are common sights in upscale area dumpster diving to supplement their pittance. Why the government gives this and the richest church in the world accepts it is open to conjecture. I suppose it goes to pay for the world wide sexual abuse compensation claims.
The current restrictions to indoors public meetings is 25 people, social distancing and masks. The rules in the first wave were stricter. Churches etc were closed. The Police were forced by the press to implement this. Their were some deeply embarrassing video's of priests violent reactions when the cops arrived. The national daily paper ran a tip line. When they were tipped of they sent a reporter and video crew to the church and informed the police. The police were forced to act. The same is happening now. One of the cases that had this publicity was on the Island of Brac where a priest returned from Rome tested positive and held a mass on his return. Brac had 0 cases at that time. 3 weeks later they had 49 cases 19 from the mass and 30 family members. Sheeple never learn.

Last edited:
Morning Luscious, the majority of Croatians are very subservient to the Vatican. A nation of 4 million. As a new EU country fiscal controls are rightly in place, apart from an 80 million Euro stipend given to the Vatican each year. The basic pension is very small here so pensioners and the unemployed are common sights in upscale area dumpster diving to supplement their pittance. Why the government gives this and the richest church in the world accepts it is open to conjecture. I suppose it goes to pay for the world wide sexual abuse compensation claims.
The current restrictions to indoors public meetings is 25 people, social distancing and masks. The rules in the first wave were stricter. Churches etc were closed. The Police were forced by the press to implement this. Their were some deeply embarrassing video's of priests violent reactions when the cops arrived. The national daily paper ran a tip line. When they were tipped of they sent a reporter and video crew to the church and informed the police. The police were forced to act. The same is happening now. One of the cases that had this publicity was on the Island of Brac where a priest returned from Rome tested positive and held a mass on his return. Brac had 0 cases at that time. 3 weeks later they had 49 cases 19 from the mass and 40 family members. Sheeple never learn.

We had an outbreak a few months ago, a pacific island church carried on through lock down. ( I suspect tithing was up there?)

Russ

The usual boneheaded idiocy...the minute the lockdown was lifted (in England), we see masses of people out shopping. Some of the pictures I've seen defy belief. Harrods, of all places, was virtually overrun and four people got arrested. It's almost beyond description - you get a brief lockdown because numbers were going through the roof and then the moment it ends, we'll see those numbers charging back upwards again.

The usual boneheaded idiocy...the minute the lockdown was lifted (in England), we see masses of people out shopping. Some of the pictures I've seen defy belief. Harrods, of all places, was virtually overrun and four people got arrested. It's almost beyond description - you get a brief lockdown because numbers were going through the roof and then the moment it ends, we'll see those numbers charging back upwards again.

Same here. I was floored by the number of parents that allowed their kids to go on Spring vacation and then were shocked when they brought the viruses back to their communities. Management had to physically remove the chairs in our lobby because people were still congregating there. They even had to lock the screened porch and remove the picnic tables outside for the same reasons.

I understand that nobody likes to be locked down but common sense should prevail at some point. I guess it's not as "common" as we'd like to think.

I am curious with the experiences of members who live in Asia, I have a hunch all this mask/lockdown resistance isn't mostly a western thing.

Some people only think “it’s my right. I can, I want, I must recover time I’ve lost.”

Well idiots, you only have to say thank you to those who lost their lives to allow you only to lost your time.

I know a woman that insists she gets her hair done every week. She won't wear a mask and rarely washes her hands (gross, I know) and goes to the salon every Thursday. She is VERY upset by the lockdowns and gets herself worked up because she can't have her morning cup of coffee with neighbors. She's elderly and two people have died from it in her building. I don't "get" that mindset at all.

As far as I can see, idiots have not Country and not borders to keep them wherever they live.

People - are people. It is better to try to understand exactly what that means. By rationalizing that definition, one does what many people do not - discipline their responses instead of reacting.

I have often noted that there are two extremes to people, those who blindly react to their environment and those who exercise intellectual and spiritual discipline to rationalize disciplined responses to their environment.

And certainly, there are more people at the reactant end of the scale, then at the disciplined response end. But they are your fellow humankind, citizens and neighbors. It is easy to take exceptions to behaviors and differences in other people, but it is better to do a little bit of work to rationalize and understand them, tolerate and perhaps, even provide some positive guidance.

The reactant personalities are collective. They share their common grounds as recognition for inclusion in community. And that is good. Yet they also draw unnecessary lines between themselves where they see variance in those common grounds.

The disciplined thinker is by nature a variant of the common ground, sometimes avoiding the crowds and community to find peace and contentment where the crowd and community may promote discontent and even hostility. Rational explanations are not favored among the reactant crowd. It is perhaps taken as an effort to manipulate and control - and nobody favors that. I learned long ago, that to try and help people is therefore a difficult task which takes an extraordinary talent.

Such are people. And you and I and they, must respect each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom