How is the corona virus affecting you?

They don't retest because it would just show positive again.

I see what you mean. I'm not sure its always that long though. Maybe its simply that they might waste their time testing you before then as it might still show positive. I think I heard of some cases where people had second tests sooner than that so they could return to their country or whatever. I'm no expert though!

I see what you mean. I'm not sure its always that long though. Maybe its simply that they might waste their time testing you before then as it might still show positive. I think I heard of some cases where people had second tests sooner than that so they could return to their country or whatever. I'm no expert though!

Quite frankly, I don't have much confidence that anybody really knows what's going on. It seems like the "rules" change with the wind (around here anyway).

I think what's going on with my friend is that she's (liberally) falling under the new quarantine guidelines put out by the CDC, which says if you test positive but present no symptoms, you need quarantine only for 10 days, not 14.

It sounds like, and this is purely conjecture on my part, that her doctor is interpreting no symptoms as no new symptoms, because she did mention that to me in her text, "He said I can go back to work Monday as long as I don't have any new symptoms."

Since she already had symptoms before she was tested and hasn't developed any new ones since testing, he's giving her the all-clear under the latest guidelines. That's just me piecing things together.

I think what's going on with my friend is that she's (liberally) falling under the new quarantine guidelines put out by the CDC, which says if you test positive but present no symptoms, you need quarantine only for 10 days, not 14.

It sounds like, and this is purely conjecture on my part, that her doctor is interpreting no symptoms as no new symptoms, because she did mention that to me in her text, "He said I can go back to work Monday as long as I don't have any new symptoms."

Since she already had symptoms before she was tested and hasn't developed any new ones since testing, he's giving her the all-clear under the latest guidelines. That's just me piecing things together.

That pretty much how it sounds to me. I had to quarantine for 10 days but my caregiver tested negative and had to quarantine for 19 days as it was assumed that she tested "too early" and probably would test positive if they bothered to retest.

We both think I had a false positive because I had no symptoms and she and I are together M-F in close contact, no masks, so there is no way only one of us could have it. I never leave the house without her.

I hope your friend stays asymptomatic and she can help you with your man up-do. Ha Ha. ;-)

Here in Portugal Covid cases are individually monitored by the health delegate of each council. There are different health delegates and they each give different guidelines, for example one health delegate may say an entire nursery needs to close if one child tested positive but a different health delegate may say only the children with symptoms need to be in quarantine... I too have the feeling that guidelines "change with the wind", considering the long portuguese tradition of disorganization I feel this probably has to do with poor communication and misunderstandings.

It is interesting to see what American individuality and free will are demonstrating in terms of the escalation of Coronavirus infections. People don't want to be put off by wearing masks, adhering to lockdowns and much of anything else that interferes with their 'right' to do whatever they see fit. And it says much about American concerns for the welfare of their fellow citizens, in light of the right to exercise their individual free will.

Certainly, there are pressures to go to work, but that's one thing that is a necessity. Going out to party, share a doobie among friends, hang out at the local bar and so forth, are not necessities. There is a huge psychological impact brought on by the pressures of the pandemic and the reaction of people to that varies.

I don't wonder why the Covid19 cases are spiking in the US, more than any other country, especially, in these Holiday times.

Not quite sure what you mean. Here if someone tests positive they must isolate for 14 days otherwise they may infect others. The hairdresser in question has been told she doesn't need to do that. I don't know what you mean by 90-120 days? :scratchhead:That's over 3 months.
However, since the appointment is less than 120 days from my positive diagnosis, I do not have to retest. They don't retest because it would just show positive again.

I'm not sure how they figured out the time frame and the rep couldn't tell me if it is possible to get it more than once. She admitted they just don't know.

Like you, I don't understand why the hair dresser doesn't have to quarantine especially in a business that has to be face-to-face.
There are two types of tests: PCR tests that are used to diagnose a current infection, and antibody tests which can tell you if someone has previously had an infection. From what I understand, if you've had Covid, have recovered and are no longer infectious a PCR test will come back negative and an antibody test will come back positive.

Here, you need to have a negative PCR test before you can go into hospital for a procedure. I don't think we really use antibody testing...its not that useful because you can get Covid twice (there are many documented cases of it happening) and they don't know how long any immunity lasts after infection.

Today our government just announced Christmas measures and, being the good Catholic country that we are, the restrictions will be none. People are advised to avoid closed spaces and gatherings with too much people but they are otherwise free to do whatever they like, meaning we'll be seeing a surge in cases again in January. On the other hand, we can't circulate outside our area of residence from Dec 31 to January 4, meaning New Year's Eve is ruined. I was really looking forward to New Year's Eve and really disappointed with these decisions, because booze and friends and are always better than no booze and family drama, but this means I have no option but to spend New Year's Eve alone, and Christmas will be the usual drama.

Today our government just announced Christmas measures and, being the good Catholic country that we are, the restrictions will be none. People are advised to avoid closed spaces and gatherings with too much people but they are otherwise free to do whatever they like, meaning we'll be seeing a surge in cases again in January. On the other hand, we can't circulate outside our area of residence from Dec 31 to January 4, meaning New Year's Eve is ruined. I was really looking forward to New Year's Eve and really disappointed with these decisions, because booze and friends and are always better than no booze and family drama, but this means I have no option but to spend New Year's Eve alone, and Christmas will be the usual drama.
Maybe we need to find a time that more or less works for a good number of people here, pour ourselves a drink, and log in and share pics and all that. :)

LissaC, I wish I could make it better for you. If I could go back in time to your age I would do things so differently. I know it's hard but the BEST thing I ever did for myself is to distance myself from family drama and toxic people. It took me decades and for me to end up totally broken to realize it. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or cross boundaries. I really just want you to know that you are not alone and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sure, I miss out on family "togetherness" but I also miss the verbal and physical abuse (yes, my family is VERY toxic). I even have much younger siblings like you. I was always there for them and they both turned on me as adults because they didn't want to be disinherited like I was. I don't care because I needed loving and supportive parents. Money cannot replace that.

A very good friend (now gone), the closest I had to a loving mother figure, told me "You are a beautiful swan surrounded by ugly ducklings." and she was right. I honestly thought my parents would chill out in old age. They are just as hateful, back-stabbing and as mean as they were when I was a kid. I love them because they brought me in the world but I would NEVER choose those type of people as friends. Friends are the "family" we get to choose.

All the best to you, my dear. Remember, you are not alone.

Same here.

LissaC, I wish I could make it better for you. If I could go back in time to your age I would do things so differently. I know it's hard but the BEST thing I ever did for myself is to distance myself from family drama and toxic people. It took me decades and for me to end up totally broken to realize it. I'm not trying to tell you what to do or cross boundaries. I really just want you to know that you are not alone and there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Sure, I miss out on family "togetherness" but I also miss the verbal and physical abuse (yes, my family is VERY toxic). I even have much younger siblings like you. I was always there for them and they both turned on me as adults because they didn't want to be disinherited like I was. I don't care because I needed loving and supportive parents. Money cannot replace that.

A very good friend (now gone), the closest I had to a loving mother figure, told me "You are a beautiful swan surrounded by ugly ducklings." and she was right. I honestly thought my parents would chill out in old age. They are just as hateful, back-stabbing and as mean as they were when I was a kid. I love them because they brought me in the world but I would NEVER choose those type of people as friends. Friends are the "family" we get to choose.

All the best to you, my dear. Remember, you are not alone.
Dear mjd you are always very kind, I sincerely admire how your heart is so filled with kindness in spite of the difficulties you've faced. I'll admit I was hoping government restrictions would be a way for me to escape my Christmas "duties" but I guess I'll just need to deal with this like I do in every other year. And Christmas only lasts a couple of days, then it's back to normal, it's difficult but not unbeareable.

My grandmother is my biggest concern and I do keep my distance from her. Now that we live closer she's tried to pay me unexpected visits several times but I always avoided it, which made me feel like a b****, but I'd feel much worse if I had to spend time with her in my house everyday and I'd probably end up lashing out at her. When I moved here I was spending more time with her but she saw that as an opportunity to start paying me unexpected visits and I had to cut her off. She's my grandma and one of the few people who is there for me when I need (not financially) and I am there for anything she needs but I can't keep her company it's too destructive for me. My therapist says I have to make a decision, either I don't see her because I know it doesn't do me good; or I make the decision to go and visit her even though it doesn't do me good but I accept is as my decision and deal with it. So I see her once a week which is what is comfortable for me. My aunt sees her once or twice a week and other days she's always chatting on the phone with or visiting neighbors.

Dear mjd you are always very kind, I sincerely admire how your heart is so filled with kindness in spite of the difficulties you've faced. I'll admit I was hoping government restrictions would be a way for me to escape my Christmas "duties" but I guess I'll just need to deal with this like I do in every other year. And Christmas only lasts a couple of days, then it's back to normal, it's difficult but not unbeareable.

My grandmother is my biggest concern and I do keep my distance from her. Now that we live closer she's tried to pay me unexpected visits several times but I always avoided it, which made me feel like a b****, but I'd feel much worse if I had to spend time with her in my house everyday and I'd probably end up lashing out at her. When I moved here I was spending more time with her but she saw that as an opportunity to start paying me unexpected visits and I had to cut her off. She's my grandma and one of the few people who is there for me when I need (not financially) and I am there for anything she needs but I can't keep her company it's too destructive for me. My therapist says I have to make a decision, either I don't see her because I know it doesn't do me good; or I make the decision to go and visit her even though it doesn't do me good but I accept is as my decision and deal with it. So I see her once a week which is what is comfortable for me. My aunt sees her once or twice a week and other days she's always chatting on the phone with or visiting neighbors.

Thank you for the compliment. I try to keep my heart loving because, otherwise, my abusers have won and there is NO WAY I'm going to allow that happen. People often ask me why I'm so kind to someone that has hurt me and my response is always the same "I'm kind not because of who THEY are, but because of who *I* am." Nothing but death will stop me from caring about others. Nothing.

One thing I used to do to avoid the family drama is volunteer in the community. I could always find a church or ministry or shelter that needed volunteers during the holidays. I usually volunteered somewhere for years so not just during the holidays and other than being a mom, those were the best moments of my life. I would go, give whatever I could and release the guilt of not being there with family. Yes, it's hard. Very hard, but the upside is I got to have some holiday spirit with people who were of like spirit and others who were grateful for what they received.

I'm sure you know your therapist is correct. We either direct our own ship or stay quiet and endure the storm to let others lead the ship. It took my parents helping my ex kidnap my children for me to realize they just aren't capable of being loving parents to me and when you mess with my children, all bets are off. I am strong. I could withstand the broken bones, threats, etc. but nobody messes with my "babies". To this day, my parents are still blowing up my phone and I ignore them and am proud to say it's without any guilt. I only wish I had done it sooner. I am the Captain of this ship NOW! ;-)

I am glad to read that you've set a boundary with your grandmother that is comfortable for you. That shows that you are strong and resilient and responsible. I'm so proud of you, LissaC. I know it's not easy. Keep doing the things that work for you and try your hardest to stop the things that don't. As you grow stronger through this you will know exactly what to do. I promise you that it's easier on the other side. I can finally see that light at the end of the tunnel and it's shining bright! It will come for you too.

As always, all the best to you.

Christmas will be the usual drama.

In the UK there is going to be loosening of restrictions over Christmas to allow up to 3 household to mix. This is inevitably going to cause a rise in cases in January just like Portugal. In theory this means my youngest son and daughter who live locally could be here at Christmas. However I've already taken the decision that I am going to be sensible about this and told them not to visit. They are fine with this as they feel the same way and don't want to be party to any virus spread or to being responsible for giving me or their Dad covid!

I reckon its up to you to decide from a safety point of view for yourself and others whether you want to participate in family gatherings over Christmas. It should be a personal decision.

No drama for us - a Covid Christmas looks about like every other Christmas around here because we just keep it to ourselves anyway.

We never celebrated Christmas growing up (was against our religion), though my mom always tried to sneak a few Christmassy things in now and again, but my dad would have none of that.

Once I'd grown up and moved away, I'd phone home on the day, and we all knew I was calling because it was Christmas, but no one was never allowed to acknowledge that.

When I moved back to Ohio in 2004, we went over on Christmas Day (maybe 2005) and my dad challenged me with, "What are you doing here?"

"It's Christmas!"

"Yeah, and?"

:laugh:

Back
Top Bottom