How is the corona virus affecting you?

Thanks, I do hope you all fare well doing the upheaval.

My folks are in their 80's, and unlike some some people their age, they don't give a rat's butt about this whole thing. They're going out every day, eating out, going to Walmart, touching everything, shaking peoples' hands, they don't care at all. :)

Probably the best way to go about it! I am just self quarantining because I want to be considerate of those more vulnerable than me.

I find it odd that people are being advised to wash their hands-common practice I would have thought.
I am concerned for those who are high risk but there is very little we can do, some may have already had it without even knowing.

We are not panic buying but we do have 3 extra bottles of hand wash simply because they are disappearing off the shelves end we need something to wash our hands with.

I'm the least effected being down under, don't get me wrong, it will get here. But no one effected in South Island, but 5 in north island. No shopping changes here. I'm not worried about me and my family, all healthy but I worry about the ill and old people.
I'm told Italy aren't reviving over 65s. That's not good. Resources are stretched.
Be safe people!!

Russ

No real personal concerns but the control tower at the airport is under a kind of lockdown. No 'outsiders' allowed in. Their main concern is the availability of essential staff. Should they run out of air traffic controllers, engineers (me), Ops or Sparks the airport may have to close down.

What is the policy on Guernsey schools, mass gatherings etc. ?

Just got my work schedule for the next month. I'm in the office Monday and Wednesday this week and next week. Working from home the rest of the time.

What is the policy on Guernsey schools, mass gatherings etc. ?
Schools still open at the moment, although one has closed temporarily as too many members of staff self isolated. Some (most?) gatherings have been closed.
Peeps warned off non essential travel.
Self isolation advised rather than GP or A&E visits.
Cruise ship visits cancelled for now.

Isn't that what you normally do?
No. Normally, over the next month, I would go in every Monday and Wednesday. Now, I'm going in Monday and Wednesday the first two weeks, then staying home completely the following two weeks, and that'll repeat until this is over.

The two weeks I'm "in the office," (even though it's just Mondays and Wednesdays), other half of my team will be home completely, and the two weeks I'm home completely, they'll be in the office their usual days.

That means there'll be some days when no one is in the office, something my manager absolutely hates (even though he works from home full time).

My 401K value dropped over 20% in the last few days. I'm really wishing I hadn't looked.

To you and TR, and others worried about their investments. Don't panic. They will eventually rebound. As for the "losses," you have only lost money on paper. As long as you don't need that money RIGHT NOW, just stay calm and ride out the storm.

CD

For me personally, not much difference. I work from home, and my travel schedule is usually light right now, anyway.

Add to that the fact that I've been sick, so I've been staying away from people, anyway. Besides, most of my friends are on my computer. :(:D

We have had four people test positive in my county. With a population of just over a million people, that's not too bad.

CD

For me personally, not much difference. I work from home, and my travel schedule is usually light right now, anyway.

Add to that the fact that I've been sick, so I've been staying away from people, anyway. Besides, most of my friends are on my computer. :(:D

We have had four people test positive in my county. With a population of just over a million people, that's not too bad.

CD

Just had 6th case, traveller returning from murica!! Wouldn't like to be over 65 with the virus in Italy.

Russ

To you and TR, and others worried about their investments. Don't panic. They will eventually rebound. As for the "losses," you have only lost money on paper. As long as you don't need that money RIGHT NOW, just stay calm and ride out the storm.

CD
I'm not worried in the least. My wife, OTOH...I think I saw her searching online for "10 Best Homeless Shelters In The US..." :laugh:

My husband is showing symptoms too now, so we're cancelling all appointments this week. We've told the mother of the children (my husband's ex wife) that we have to stay in quarantine which means they have to stay here. We're hoping she won't demand she takes them, because that would be against government recommendations right now. If she demands it, we will ask government advice on what to do.
We're not doing this for fun, after all.

I hope we're just having regular flu symptoms and not corona, but it's impossible to know right now.

Back
Top Bottom