How is the corona virus affecting you?

I suppose the only personal issue at the moment is that we were going to book a holiday in Prague for August but I'm now waiting until we know it's all clear. I think we should be ok as from what I understand the virus can't survive in higher temperatures.

There was a doctor countering that on the news here this morning. It will survive less easily, but it won't go away either.
Yes, mixed messages again. Some seem to think warmer weather will stop it in its tracks, while others think it will merely slow it down. Something to do with the virus having some sort of fat in it that is compromised at higher temperatures as far as I understand things.

Yes, mixed messages again. Some seem to think warmer weather will stop it in its tracks, while others think it will merely slow it down. Something to do with the virus having some sort of fat in it that is compromised at higher temperatures as far as I understand things.

Well, there are cases in Thailand and its pretty hot there at the moment.

My husband is showing symptoms too now, so we're cancelling all appointments this week. We've told the mother of the children (my husband's ex wife) that we have to stay in quarantine which means they have to stay here. We're hoping she won't demand she takes them, because that would be against government recommendations right now. If she demands it, we will ask government advice on what to do.
We're not doing this for fun, after all.

I hope we're just having regular flu symptoms and not corona, but it's impossible to know right now.
I hope it's just the regular flu...well, really I hope it's not even that. Either way, I'm not sure how your government is handling things, but if you feel you need to get some medical advice or attention, please don't hesitate to do so!

Well, there are cases in Thailand and its pretty hot there at the moment.
I don't know. No expert obvs.
The most recent cases in Thailand (allegedly) started with a guy who had just returned from Hong Kong and went to a party where he was sharing drinks and 'cigarettes'.

If, and it's a big if, the heat thing works it isn't going to work overnight. It will only kill or slow down the virus when it is on surfaces exposed to heat, so if you come into contact with someone who is already infected no amount of heat will help you. (especially if you share drinks and spliffs). Which is why they advocate self isolation I guess.

How dumb do you have to be to share drinks with someone in the middle of all this?

I hope it's just the regular flu...well, really I hope it's not even that. Either way, I'm not sure how your government is handling things, but if you feel you need to get some medical advice or attention, please don't hesitate to do so!

Not yet, no reason to. We have symptoms of a cold but no fever as of yet, so hopefully it's something else than Corona. We'll see, but no reason to contact anyone as of yet. Hopefully it stays that way.

With regard to it surviving in warmer conditions, I understand virus' are sensitive to UV, so they survive on exposed surfaces less well in summer months. Part of swimming pool and public water installation filtration systems include a glass pipe surrounded by UV lamps that blast the water as it passes thtough. I know this because my company makes the driver transformers for one supplier of this equipment.

My son has just had to phone the local helpline as he feels absolutely awful but they think he just has normal flu but advised him to self isolate.

My son has just had to phone the local helpline as he feels absolutely awful but they think he just has normal flu but advised him to self isolate.
That's what they're recommending in my state - if you have flu symptoms, self-quarantine unless you're at a higher risk. At this point, confirming someone has the actual virus seems to be more of a statistical concern, until testing is more available.

Our genius government did a complete U-turn yesterday and banned all "large" gatherings. Helpfully, nobody saw fit to give us a number or exactly how "large" is defined.

One noticeable thing this morning from a trip to the local Co-op; the pasta shelf was looking a bit thin. We don't seem to have a bogroll shortage - we got some the other day from another local shop (necessity, not panic) and there were masses of them.

My husband is showing symptoms too now, so we're cancelling all appointments this week. We've told the mother of the children (my husband's ex wife) that we have to stay in quarantine which means they have to stay here. We're hoping she won't demand she takes them, because that would be against government recommendations right now. If she demands it, we will ask government advice on what to do.
We're not doing this for fun, after all.

I hope we're just having regular flu symptoms and not corona, but it's impossible to know right now.
My prayers are there for you that it not corona.
Sarana x

Back
Top Bottom