How is the corona virus affecting you?

Our govt has now paused the Astrazenaca vaccine distribution due to concerns about possible blood clotting as a side effect. Another two weeks where nobody will get a shot, and 400.000 appoinments cancelled.
Just what we need on top of this mess. I definitely want it checked, because I am a prime target for blood clots having had them three times already. But the way this is going, the vaccines will never be rolled out before summer as we were promised.

Our govt has now paused the Astrazenaca vaccine distribution due to concerns about possible blood clotting as a side effect. Another two weeks where nobody will get a shot, and 400.000 appoinments cancelled.
Just what we need on top of this mess. I definitely want it checked, because I am a prime target for blood clots having had them three times already. But the way this is going, the vaccines will never be rolled out before summer as we were promised.

We are having just the same situation about Astra Zeneca. However Draghi said that within June/July we will be all vaccinated, but the only certain thing at the moment is that we started a new total lockdown today until mid-April.

I do wonder if some of these stops on the AZ vaccine are just to cover supply problems and deflect blame.

I hope this can be seen outside the UK where it covers how a Dutch vaccine plant is yet to receive Government approval to supply AZ vaccine despite being ready for months.
Subscribe to read | Financial Times

My wife and I had our first dose of the AZ vaccine today. Parts of the UK are ahead of schedule and are now vaccinating people below the 56+ national age bracket. Really well organised, I can see how they are getting through the population so quickly. As I drove, I had to wait 15 minutes afterwards before leaving, which was the longest part of the appointment.

Updates from Europe (shout if you can't see the BBC website).

The UK is going to double its vaccination rate this week to 4million per week as deliveries of the AZ product from India are passed as safe, and the Modena product comes on stream. That's 1 in 15 being inoculated every week from now on.

Covid: UK vaccination surge expected in coming days

Meanwhile large parts of Europe are halting use of the AZ vaccine over a small number of blood clots that even WHO says is nothing to do with the product. Given the risk to health of Covid this decision doesn't seem to stack up.

Is Europe's AstraZeneca jab decision-making flawed?

Finally Turkey has announced that it will welcome British holiday makers this summer without the need for Covid Passports or negative test results, saying simply that it believes the UK will be effectively infection free by the middle of the year, so checks are not necessary

My wife and I had our first dose of the AZ vaccine today. Parts of the UK are ahead of schedule and are now vaccinating people below the 56+ national age bracket. Really well organised, I can see how they are getting through the population so quickly. As I drove, I had to wait 15 minutes afterwards before leaving, which was the longest part of the appointment.
Nice one, you might feel a bit grotty tomorrow, but it is worth it.

Reactions: mjd
Just got scheduled for Moderna shots, 24 March and 21 April. I have to drive 25 miles, but it's a nice drive, so I don't mind at all.
Also, my employer provides two hours of paid time off for each shot, which is nice.

I'll bet my manager just tells me not to worry about it, because I work a lot of overtime, and because he's the one who has to file for the hours. :laugh:

Last edited:
I became eligible today, but the vaccines are not plentiful enough in my county. I have to check first thing every morning to see if appointments are available. I am also going to look into what is available down in Dallas. The big urban areas of Texas seem to be getting better allotments of vaccines.

CD

We are getting Pfizer, I'm glad we aren't getting az now because of the clots.

Russ

The World Health Organisation (WHO), the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) say there was no evidence linking the jab to an increased risk of blood clots.

In the UK we have vaccinated over 11 million with AstraZenica and the incidence of blood clots is no different in percentage than that which is normally seen in the population. In fact, the follow up data on Pfizer shows the same percentage of blood clots as AstraZenica.

The World Health Organisation (WHO), the European Medicines Agency (EMA) and the UK's Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) say there was no evidence linking the jab to an increased risk of blood clots.

In the UK we have vaccinated over 11 million with AstraZenica and the incidence of blood clots is no different in percentage than that which is normally seen in the population. In fact, the follow up data on Pfizer shows the same percentage of blood clots as AstraZenica.
Yeah I don't really understand why this is suddenly considered relevant for the entire population, if you're at risk of clots like me it might be important to get another vaccine but for the normal population this seems odd considering the numbers.

And even then, my doctor has suggested I take my blood thinners as prescribed and I should be fine if I am getting AZ regardless.

Back
Top Bottom