How is the corona virus affecting you?

Well, there have been quite a few cases of older family members getting COVID and dying after a family get together so there is that. But he's right that from what the scientists are saying that it's low risk for the 2 of you, but not for them and not for anybody the 2 of you may come into contact with on the off chance either of them are carrying the virus and don't know it. So it's a crap shoot and, like you, I'd rather err on the side of caution.
And she's pregnant. If I am an asymptomatic carrier and gave it to her I would be devastated. People who have been vaccinated possibly can carry it with no symptoms and not know it, so yes, I'm going to be abundantly cautious.

Also my husband spends a lot of time with his younger cousin who has brain cancer and a severely weakened immune system, so he really needs to be careful.

Last edited:
And she's pregnant. If I am an asymptomatic carrier and gave it to her I would be devastated. People who have been vaccinated possibly can carry it with no symptoms and not know it, so yes, I'm going to be abundantly cautious.

Also my husband spends a lot of time with his younger cousin who has brain cancer and a severely weakened immune system, so he really needs to be careful.

Yes, she's already taking enough of a chance being pregnant and traveling. Not sure I'd do that personally.

Yes, she's already taking enough of a chance being pregnant and traveling. Not sure I'd do that personally.
We tried to talk her out of coming, but her mother is throwing a big baby shower party for her with over 100 guests. We were invited, I won't be going, even though it is outside. My husband probably will go, I think he shouldn't. I already sent our gift to Texas last month. There won't be gifts at the party, she doesn't have a way to get them back to Texas. I think the party is pointless, other than a way to spread germs. A lot of kids will be there and likely other unvaccinated adults besides her and her fiance. People are crazy.

Last edited:
One of my stepdaughters arrives today with her fiance from Texas. They will be staying in another wing, a closed off section of our house with 3 bedrooms where her brother lives. My husband thought we'd be having them over for dinner in our side of the house since we've both been fully vaccinated. Neither of them have been vaccinated. Instead, I had him clean out the garage yesterday and he is cleaning the back deck and outdoor furniture. I ordered some folding card tables for the garage and we found some chairs in the basement. We will eat outside on the deck when the weather is nice and in the garage if it's chilly or rainy. He thinks I'm being ridiculous and that I am overly cautious. He said, "it's low risk to have them inside for dinner." I'd prefer no risk, but it's significantly lower risk for us to be outside at separate tables and my mind is made up.

I'm pretty concerned about the breakthrough cases occurring in the US among fully vaccinated people. I'd like to not be one of them.
That falls under the "My House, My Rules" dictate. :)

"I guess not. I imagine everyone is going to want to work from home now
It does have advantages, in some fields of operation.
I do enjoy the chat with coworkers en passant inbetween lessons, it feels less isolated.
But if one does not need that and is a different working enviroment, sure, I understand...
You have a great garden too, so you can habe air and be outside in the breaks...
It is way easier in reg to transport ...food...😊
I keep my posts short as everything tires me still.
But am glad to be able to focus and read more posts👍🍀

That falls under the "My House, My Rules" dictate. :)
It was quite the battle, honestly. I've known that they were coming for about a month now, and I was very clear and very firm about my decision that no unvaccinated people would be in our house early on. Hubby would occasionally make offhand comments about how her fiance and I would be cooking together (he is a pretty good cook) and I quickly shot that down each time. Then a couple of days ago he tried to give me "this is my house and what I say goes" speech and I told him I could go live in my cousin's guest house if that's how it was going to be. He relented and said he thought I was being silly and overly cautious but okay. I explained this isn't a forever thing, I just don't want to rush into being too lax too soon. He says that the science indicates it's safe for us to be around them indoors without anyone wearing masks, I say it's too soon for anyone to know for sure and it won't hurt to take baby steps and go slow. And honestly, both my husband and her fiance smoke, we will be grilling outside, the weather in Ohio this time of year is gorgeous, and I am sick of being cooped up in the house anyway. Let's enjoy the fresh outdoor air and moderate temperatures while we can.

On a side note, my stepson and my oldest stepdaughter who both live in Ohio have decided to get the vaccine.

I read an article this morning that Walmart is allowing their unvaccinated employees to work without masks. They are also going to allow customers in their stores who have been vaccinated to not wear masks. How are they going to police that and know who actually has been vaccinated and which customers are unvaccinated buttheads that don't feel like wearing masks? Kroger is requesting that their customers continue to wear masks. Smart.

He thinks I'm being ridiculous and that I am overly cautious. He said, "it's low risk to have them inside for dinner." I'd prefer no risk, but it's significantly lower risk for us to be outside at separate tables and my mind is made up.

You are absolutely right to be careful. Both of us are vaccinated and so are my kids but they still won't come in the house. Their choice as much as mine.

I can't believe they lifted the mask and social distancing in the US so soon. I think it's way too soon.
Really? How much longer do you think it should be? I don't disagree with you. I've heard varying opinions about it. It's not really an issue for me since I don't work outside the home but I know many people are excited for the restrictions to be lifted.

On a side note, my stepson and my oldest stepdaughter who both live in Ohio have decided to get the vaccine.

I read an article this morning that Walmart is allowing their unvaccinated employees to work without masks. They are also going to allow customers in their stores who have been vaccinated to not wear masks. How are they going to police that and know who actually has been vaccinated and which customers are unvaccinated buttheads that don't feel like wearing masks? Kroger is requesting that their customers continue to wear masks. Smart.
They are tossing around the idea of Vax Passports. We would have to carry them to prove we've been vaccinated. The problem is people are already selling forged ones. The UK is rolling out their passport program in the next few days. That should give us some idea on how to approach it here.

You are absolutely right to be careful. Both of us are vaccinated and so are my kids but they still won't come in the house. Their choice as much as mine.
How was it for you? My caregiver did fine after the first one but was down for 4 days after the second one. She got Moderna.

So far, most businesses here in Ohio (meaning retail and corporate) seem to be requiring masks for the near future, anyway.

My company is allowing voluntary return to the office starting 14 June, but to do that, we have to have our temps checked, wear masks at all times, no in-person meetings, and socially distance. They said over time, they'll relax that a bit, with the idea of eventually returning to normal, as long as the situation warrants it.

I did confirm with my manager that I'm cleared to work from home full time. That was a funny bit of touch-and-go. I had my annual review in early March, and I talked to my manager (Andrew) then, and he said not to worry about it, he'd clear it with the next higher manager (Will).

Then Andrew left two weeks later. I asked him again if he'd cleared that with Will, and he said yep, it's a done deal, you're good.

So for the time-being, Will is my manager, but we've hired a new guy to replace Andrew, and corporate as started talking about a return to the office, so I thought it prudent to check with Will directly, because he's legendary for his extremely poor memory. He's also come down on the side of "there's value to being in the office..." even though he works from home full time. :laugh:

"Hey, when I had my review two months ago, Andrew ok'd me working from home full time going forward, and when he left two weeks later, he said he cleared it with you. With all the changes, I just want to confirm that."

"He might have, I don't really remember, if he did or not."

<Oh boy, here we go...:meh:>

"So is that going to be a problem?"

"I guess not. I imagine everyone is going to want to work from home now."

😅
Has Will ever heard of the invention of a thing they make out of trees...a notebook? I'm glad you got cleared to WAH.

My stepson has a cold, my MIL is demanding we get to her so he can get an appointment made to get a corona test. She refuses to call them herself, which would be much better as it wouldn't expose us to possible covid. But my husband has to do everything for his family, so she wants my stepson tested because he might be a risk, but then forces us to expose ourselves to that risk because she doesn't want to make a phone call.

I've already had my first shot, so I am not resisting but it does quietly make me pretty angry that she can't be bothered to make a phone call and therefore might expose us to covid.

Update: I read that pfizer after the first shot already gives at least 70% protection against covid after three weeks, so that's a relief.

Last edited:
They are tossing around the idea of Vax Passports. We would have to carry them to prove we've been vaccinated. The problem is people are already selling forged ones. The UK is rolling out their passport program in the next few days. That should give us some idea on how to approach it here.
Our vaccination 'passports' are on the NHS app which you can use to access health services and see your records, so you just show your app when travelling to another country. There are no plans to use a proof of vaccination record to gain access to pubs, restaurants, theatres etc. This goes with the 'we're all in it together' approach I mentioned earlier, and our restaurants are opening because it's safe for everyone to visit them, not just those lucky enough to be at the front of the queue for the needle.

Our vaccination 'passports' are on the NHS app which you can use to access health services and see your records, so you just show your app when travelling to another country. There are no plans to use a proof of vaccination record to gain access to pubs, restaurants, theatres etc. This goes with the 'we're all in it together' approach I mentioned earlier, and our restaurants are opening because it's safe for everyone to visit them, not just those lucky enough to be at the front of the queue for the needle.
So, you ONLY need it for international travel? I like that idea better than having to show any employee of a retailer or restaurant the information.

Back
Top Bottom