How is the corona virus affecting you?

I found this to be hilarious. They are trying to bribe people with a shot or a beer to get the vaccination. I constantly ask myself "What is the world are these people smoking?" (and, why are they not sharing it? LOL).

https://www.illinoispolicy.org/free-beer-with-your-covid-19-shot-is-aim-of-illinois-lawmakers/
Wish they did that here, people here are way too reluctant to get vaccinated. So far the stats say only 60% of people are willing and that's not enough. I'm looking forward to my second shot on june 3d!

Speaking to my sister last night, she said the Novavax vaccine should be approved in the next week or two. That will be another vaccine available.

CD

I am happy to continue to wear a mask in shops etc...

I am fully vaccinated, and still wear mine in shops, as a courtesy to others. First, they have no way of knowing if I am maskless because I have been vaccinated, or I'm one of those nuts who thinks Covid is a hoax. Second, I can still get the virus, and pass it on, without getting sick -- or even knowing I have it.

CD

Last edited:
I am fully vaccinated, and still wear mine in shops, as a courtesy to others. First, they have no way of knowing if I and maskless because I have been vaccinated, or I'm one of those nuts who thinks Covid is a hoax. Second, I can still get the virus, and pass it on, without getting sick -- or even knowing I have it.

CD

We are waiting for our second jab even when fully vaccinated will continue, as you say, as courtesy to others.
I prefer to be safe rather than sorry.

Still half-vaccinated. Even after the 2 weeks post the final shot, I will wear my mask in most places. I actually don't know what my state plans to require at this point, and since it won't be until midJune that i can go mask-less ethically, it's a moot point. Haven't bothered to check.

Meanwhile, I am scheduled for May 25th, and getting my plans in place in case I have a bad enough reaction that I'm in no mood/condition to take care of chickens or quail the next day.

I was thinking about keeping the mask on, even after my 2 nd shot, June 13 th. In crowded spots like shops, train stations, train, tram...even at work, don't know...
So far, most businesses here in Ohio (meaning retail and corporate) seem to be requiring masks for the near future, anyway.

My company is allowing voluntary return to the office starting 14 June, but to do that, we have to have our temps checked, wear masks at all times, no in-person meetings, and socially distance. They said over time, they'll relax that a bit, with the idea of eventually returning to normal, as long as the situation warrants it.

I did confirm with my manager that I'm cleared to work from home full time. That was a funny bit of touch-and-go. I had my annual review in early March, and I talked to my manager (Andrew) then, and he said not to worry about it, he'd clear it with the next higher manager (Will).

Then Andrew left two weeks later. I asked him again if he'd cleared that with Will, and he said yep, it's a done deal, you're good.

So for the time-being, Will is my manager, but we've hired a new guy to replace Andrew, and corporate as started talking about a return to the office, so I thought it prudent to check with Will directly, because he's legendary for his extremely poor memory. He's also come down on the side of "there's value to being in the office..." even though he works from home full time. :laugh:

"Hey, when I had my review two months ago, Andrew ok'd me working from home full time going forward, and when he left two weeks later, he said he cleared it with you. With all the changes, I just want to confirm that."

"He might have, I don't really remember, if he did or not."

<Oh boy, here we go...:meh:>

"So is that going to be a problem?"

"I guess not. I imagine everyone is going to want to work from home now."

😅

UK news, in light of the new Indian* variant the government has decided to shorten the time between doses for the over 50s from 12 to 8 weeks in order to speed up the reduction in the potential for serious illness. I am at 10 weeks so I expect the call early next week.

* This variant was first identified in India and is spreading most rapidly in the South Asian communities having been brought to the UK by people returning from trips to India. The newspapers, particularly our right wing xenophobic rags are doing a good job of stirring the pot on this making sure that their readers are certain where blame lies if the UK is unable to complete the roadmap and fully reopen on June 21st. There could be trouble.

One of my stepdaughters arrives today with her fiance from Texas. They will be staying in another wing, a closed off section of our house with 3 bedrooms where her brother lives. My husband thought we'd be having them over for dinner in our side of the house since we've both been fully vaccinated. Neither of them have been vaccinated. Instead, I had him clean out the garage yesterday and he is cleaning the back deck and outdoor furniture. I ordered some folding card tables for the garage and we found some chairs in the basement. We will eat outside on the deck when the weather is nice and in the garage if it's chilly or rainy. He thinks I'm being ridiculous and that I am overly cautious. He said, "it's low risk to have them inside for dinner." I'd prefer no risk, but it's significantly lower risk for us to be outside at separate tables and my mind is made up.

I'm pretty concerned about the breakthrough cases occurring in the US among fully vaccinated people. I'd like to not be one of them.

Last edited:
One of my stepdaughters arrives today with her fiance from Texas. They will be staying in another wing, a closed off section of our house with 3 bedrooms where her brother lives. My husband thought we'd be having them over for dinner in our side of the house since we've both been fully vaccinated. Neither of them have been vaccinated. Instead, I had him clean out the garage yesterday and he is cleaning the back deck and outdoor furniture. I ordered some folding card tables for the garage and we found some chairs in the basement. We will eat outside on the deck when the weather is nice and in the garage if it's chilly or rainy. He thinks I'm being ridiculous and that I am overly cautious. He said, "it's low risk to have them inside for dinner." I'd prefer no risk, but it's significantly lower risk for us to be outside at separate tables and my mind is made up.

Well, there have been quite a few cases of older family members getting COVID and dying after a family get together so there is that. But he's right that from what the scientists are saying that it's low risk for the 2 of you, but not for them and not for anybody the 2 of you may come into contact with on the off chance either of them are carrying the virus and don't know it. So it's a crap shoot and, like you, I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Back
Top Bottom