How is the corona virus affecting you?

Also, hopefully Canada gets an improved vaccine for the new A.23.1 variant and just skip the Delta altogether, but that's wishful thinking because most politicians are in denial and think the world revolves around what they say. Our Prime Minister of Canada just said today that the only way to stop the virus in it's tracks so everything can go back to normal is to be double vaccinated, seriously he said that. The A.23.1 variant that is being described as a monster, Fauci's words not mine is spreading from Africa to about 26 other countries and has infected a few thousand people, and will ramp up going forward. Unfortunately Africa with it's slow rollout for vaccines have given the time for mutations, and I suspect this is just the beginning and we'll see many more variants mutating and making their way across the globe for many many years.

Last edited:
Historic events are something that, if you live long enough, you live through them, and sometimes participate in them. Many of us have been around to see the invention of the television, astronauts walking on the moon, Ballard finding and exploring the Titanic, the invention of a whole lineage of semi-conductor devices and more, not to mention the tearing down of the iron curtain and the various wars spawned by the cold war.

COVID is history and many of us have lived through it and experienced it personally, a global death dealing pandemic. The death rate, here in the USA, has surpassed 1 in every 500 US citizens. I have not personally known anyone who has died from COVID, but I don't doubt that some of us have, with that percentage being a reality. We have seen our industries and businesses crippled, our educational institutions, likewise, and somehow, we have kept punching it out. The stress of the pandemic has opened the door to some radical events, but I hope, that those don't become too detrimental to our contentment in our lives. I have always thought that with the stresses and conflicts internationally and culturally, that something like a nasty war could be triggered easily by a stress or event to trigger one. Lucky us, - eh?

SatNav just reminded me that it is time to get the annual flu shot in the Northern hemisphere. Flu season is right around the corner.

I hope people don't think the Covid vaccine will cover all viruses, like the common flu.

CD
Got my flu shot a couple of weeks ago, as soon as my health insurance cleared it.

I may venture to the supermarket on occasions and I like to meet mates in the pub once a week (tomorrow actually). The pub is open sided and although we don't wear masks when we are there, we observe social distancing. At the present time, serving and drinking alcohol in restaurants/pubs is against the law in most provinces (including ours) so alternative plans have to be put into effect.

"A mixture of Thais and foreigners were arrested at a restaurant in Koh Samui over the weekend for allegedly drinking alcohol and gambling. They were also allegedly witnessed playing pool. The bar patrons were in violation of Surat Thani’s Provincial Orders that forbids gatherings, notably gatherings that include drinking alcohol. Around 20 customers were busted for drinking alcohol when police raided the premises. The name of the restaurant was not provided.

After allegedly catching people in the act of imbibing, shooting pool, and gambling officials went to the owner of the restaurant for an initial inspection. The Pattaya News says the owner confessed to serving alcoholic drinks and also admitted that the drinks were put in ceramic coffee mugs to obscure the fact that the mugs contained alcoholic beverages. The owner was then charged for selling alcoholic drinks and permitting others to drink alcohol and play pool at the restaurant. It was not mentioned if they were also charged for the patrons alleged gambling as well.

The nearly 2 dozen customers were taken to a local police station for further legal proceedings. The selling of alcoholic drinks at restaurants and bars has been banned for months due to a mandate by the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration. Recently, 48 people were arrested at a Koh Samui birthday party for violating Covid restrictions."

Last edited:
A third anti-covid jab has already been announced today on TV.
The first of many going forward I predict. Probably for the Delta and by the time it gets rolled out to most of the worlds populations another mutation will be of significant interest. Virus's are going to do what they are designed to do, live. Hopefully the mutations are less deadly, which the Delta is, and hopefully this trend continues, but the booster jab is in our future for a few years at the least.

The first of many going forward I predict. Probably for the Delta and by the time it gets rolled out to most of the worlds populations another mutation will be of significant interest. Virus's are going to do what they are designed to do, live. Hopefully the mutations are less deadly, which the Delta is, and hopefully this trend continues, but the booster jab is in our future for a few years at the least.

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the Delta variant is less deadly. Where is your source? I found this which may be relevant - it seems to suggest the opposite:

Does the Delta variant cause more serious disease?​

There’s not yet consensus on whether the Delta variant makes people sicker. The internal CDC document cited studies from Canada and Singapore (not yet peer-reviewed) that found higher odds of hospitalization and death, and a study from Scotland that found double the risk of hospitalization compared to the Alpha variant, which had been the dominant variant in the U.S. before Delta’s rise.
||How Dangerous Is the Delta Variant? Here’s What the Science Says

Also this:

As data about Delta accumulates, scientists are working hard to learn as much as possible as quickly as they can. One important question is whether the Delta strain will make you sicker than the original virus. Early information about the severity of Delta included studies from Scotland and Canada, both cited by the CDC, that suggested the Delta variant may be more likely to result in hospitalization in the unvaccinated. A report this summer, published in The Lancet Infectious Diseases, found that people in England with Delta had double the hospitalization risk of those with Alpha, which was previously the dominant mutation in that country.

5 Things To Know About the Delta Variant

I learned the other day that mutations of viruses are mostly accidents of nature. As the virus replicates itself, things go wrong. Most of the time, the altered virus dies, but now and then, it makes the virus "better," and that takes off.

As for additional shots, what they are finding seems to be that the vaccines me be slowly losing their efficacy over time. That's the main reason they are looking at booster shots.

Of course, if everyone got the original vaccines, the virus would struggle to survive, and Covid would be manageable. But, poorer countries can't afford it, and a significant portion of the wealthiest country on Earth are idiots, and refuse to take the medicine that could save their lives -- and make it possible for us all to get back to "normal."

CD

I learned the other day that mutations of viruses are mostly accidents of nature. As the virus replicates itself, things go wrong. Most of the time, the altered virus dies, but now and then, it makes the virus "better," and that takes off.
Natural selection working in a time scale we can understand... Interesting how those who fervently believe in a Divine master that created everything don't want to include viruses in Gods list of accomplishments. :whistling:

Last edited:
A resident told me today that she received the 3rd (booster) shot at a CVS sore. I thought that the booster shots weren't out yet, according to CNN!! :eek:
You can get them if you're immunocompromised (Pfizer and Moderna). My wife got hers a couple of weeks ago, no doc's note necessary.

Back
Top Bottom