How is the corona virus affecting you?

I haven't seen anything to suggest that the Delta variant is less deadly. Where is your source? I found this which may be relevant - it seems to suggest the opposite:

||How Dangerous Is the Delta Variant? Here’s What the Science Says

Also this:

5 Things To Know About the Delta Variant
No source, but not seeing anybody saying death rate is going up in conjunction with infection. It's more infectious for sure. For Ontario where I live about 88% of the infected are from the Delta and deaths are almost at an all time low. Probably because most older people are not getting infected as much and it's mostly a younger demographic. For example in Ontario there's been about 10,000 deaths all but 750 of those are from the 60 and up age group with 90% in the 80 plus. 40 to 60 yrs old total deaths are about 650 people. Under 40 years old total deaths are about 100 and that's who's getting infected so it makes sense. The death rate for under 60 is 0.4% and under 20 yrs of age we've had 6 deaths.

Last edited:
No source, but not seeing anybody saying death rate is going up in conjunction with infection. It's more infectious for sure. For Ontario where I live about 88% of the infected are from the Delta and deaths are almost at an all time low. Probably because most older people are not getting infected as much and it's mostly a younger demographic. For example in Ontario there's been about 10,000 deaths all but 750 of those are from the 60 and up age group with 90% in the 80 plus. 40 to 60 yrs old total deaths are about 650 people. Under 40 years old total deaths are about 100 and that's who's getting infected so it makes sense. The death rate for under 60 is 0.4% and under 20 yrs of age we've had 6 deaths.

Delta is definitely more infectious. It spreads very proficiently. It is also sending more younger people to the hospital than previous strains, including children. I don't know about death rates right off hand. I do know that hospitals, and hospital staff (like my sister) are being pushed to the limits in places like Florida and Texas.

Another thing I know, is that a lot of videos are coming out from anti-vaxxers on their death beds pleading with people to NOT make the same mistake they did, and go get vaccinated. I have know idea if it is having any effect. Like comedian Jeff Foxworthy says, "You can't fix stupid."

CD

COVID deaths are poised to outnumber those from the legendary Spanish flu.

You can get them if you're immunocompromised (Pfizer and Moderna). My wife got hers a couple of weeks ago, no doc's note necessary.

I don't think that anyone needed a doc's note for the first 2 shots. It was necessary & free of charge. :whistling:

Delta is definitely more infectious. It spreads very proficiently. It is also sending more younger people to the hospital than previous strains, including children. I don't know about death rates right off hand. I do know that hospitals, and hospital staff (like my sister) are being pushed to the limits in places like Florida and Texas.

Another thing I know, is that a lot of videos are coming out from anti-vaxxers on their death beds pleading with people to NOT make the same mistake they did, and go get vaccinated. I have know idea if it is having any effect. Like comedian Jeff Foxworthy says, "You can't fix stupid."

CD
I believe that if your vaccinated you have a better chance for survival. The likelihood someone dies of covid is like buying a lottery ticket and winning but you can't win unless you buy a ticket. I get that. I got jabbed because I knew right from the get go that there would be a vaccination passport, it's not rocket science. Fear is driving the propaganda and most people fall in line but unfortunately there are people that have a different view. Eventually mostly all the people in hospitals on respirators will be people that are double vaxxed.

COVID deaths are poised to outnumber those from the legendary Spanish flu.
“Combined with deaths in the first few months of this year, Covid-19 has now claimed more than half a million lives in the United States. The total number of Covid-19 deaths so far is on track to surpass the toll of the 1918 pandemic, which killed an estimated 675,000 nationwide.”
Are Covid Fatalities Comparable with the 1918 Spanish Flu?

Comparing the death counts between the 1918 Flu and Covid-19 without adjusting for population growth is extremely misleading. In 1918 the population of the United States was roughly 103 million, while near the end of 2020 it stood at roughly 330 million. According to CDC statistics compiled by a study in JAMA Covid-19 killed 345,000 people in 2020 and now stands at around half a million as stated by the New York Times. Adjusted for the population growth of over 200 million people and holding the death rates constant, the 1918 Flu would have killed over 2 million people if it occured today, which is more than four times greater than Covid-19.

Comparing the death counts between the 1918 Flu and Covid-19 without adjusting for population growth is extremely misleading. In 1918 the population of the United States was roughly 103 million, while near the end of 2020 it stood at roughly 330 million. According to CDC statistics compiled by a study in JAMA Covid-19 killed 345,000 people in 2020 and now stands at around half a million as stated by the New York Times. Adjusted for the population growth of over 200 million people and holding the death rates constant, the 1918 Flu would have killed over 2 million people if it occured today, which is more than four times greater than Covid-19.

Agreed, but you also have to factor in advances in science and medicine in the last 100 years. Would the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 really have killed 2 million people in today's population of 330 million? Probably not. Would Covid 19 have killed more people in 1918 than the Spanish Flu did? That's certainly possible.

CD

Agreed, but you also have to factor in advances in science and medicine in the last 100 years. Would the Spanish Flu pandemic of 1918 really have killed 2 million people in today's population of 330 million? Probably not. Would Covid 19 have killed more people in 1918 than the Spanish Flu did? That's certainly possible.

CD
With todays mobility compared to 1918 the Spanish Flu would definitely be more deadly. Those advances in medicine hasn't really stopped covid 19, we're barely coping with a disease that has a less than 1% death rate. Actually we should consider ourselves lucky that 90% of the deaths are to people over 80. The Spanish flu was less picky and liked little kids and athletes as well. Personally I think we got a break with covid 19, but my opinion could change going forward. 7 billion people with a virus that is focused on the weak.....yeah, we got lucky.

There were headlines locally the 3rd dose should be taken 6 months after the 2nd.
If that is so, my 3rd will be due Dec 2021.
I guess we will be informed.

There were headlines locally the 3rd dose should be taken 6 months after the 2nd.
If that is so, my 3rd will be due Dec 2021.
I guess we will be informed.
Same. I hope I will get one, as our government says people with my illness don't need a booster. I hope my doctor thinks differently.

It appears to be official. COVID deaths have now surpassed the number of deaths assumed attributable to the 1918 - 1919 Spanish flu. History.

It appears to be official. COVID deaths have now surpassed the number of deaths assumed attributable to the 1918 - 1919 Spanish flu. History.

I can't find any evidence for this. As garlichead quotes above - any meaningful comparison looks at the percentage of the population dying (not total numbers of people dying) and the population in 1918 was significantly lower than today.

Unpacking Spanish Flu mortality rates:
Any mortality comparisons between these two pandemics in the United States, 2020 and 1918, must differentiate between totals and rates. The current US population, a little more than 330 million, is more than three times larger than the population in 1918, estimated at 105 million. The 675,000 deaths attributed to the influenza epidemic made up 0.64 percent of the total population, a little more than six in every thousand people. By contrast, the more than 500,000 deaths attributed to COVID-19 make up about 0.15 percent of the total population, or between one and two in every thousand people. If COVID-19 caused deaths at the same rate as the 1918 epidemic, the total would approach two million. Even the disturbing projections of more than to 600,000 deaths by July 1, 2021, would still remain below the rates recorded in the earlier epidemic.

Measuring Mortality In The Pandemics Of 1918–19 And 2020 ...https://www.healthaffairs.org › doi › hblog20210329

Ontario will now require people to prove they're double vaccinated to enter non essential business like gyms, indoor restaurants, movie theatres and concert halls, under the province's new vaccine certification program starting Sept. 22. Ridiculous. It's ok to go to Walmart or any big box store or indoor malls but you can't go to an indoor restaurant. Restaurants and gyms have contributed pretty much 0 risk considering the strict adherence that has always been in place by self regulating in these establishments since the beginning but seemed to be the sacred offerings that our esteemed politicians have used in each shutdown and they say they're following the science. They wouldn't know what science is if it hit them in the face, twice.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom