How is the corona virus affecting you?

The risk of going to the shop is quite different from going to a restaurant: in a shop you are unlikely to spend much time in reasonably close contact with a specific person: you tend to walk around so you although you may be close to other people you never actually spend very long near any one person. So whilst there is a risk of being infected by passing by someone, its very low.

On the other hand in a restaurant, concert hall, gym etc. you are much more likely to be sat in one place not too far from someone else for a prolonged period of time. If you add in lack of or limited ventilation then risks of infection are increased further. Scientists identified fairly early on in the pandemic that proximity plus time were critical factors for cross-infection, as far as I'm aware that research has not been disproven.

We've recently spent a couple of weeks in France where mask wearing compliance was very high and you needed to show your pass sanitaire (proof of vaccination or recent negative test) before entering bars and restaurants. It took 30 all of seconds to scan the QR code and if it contributes to keeping a lid on things then its something I'm more than happy to do. Since returning home I've noticed how lax everything seems to be now in the UK....we seem to be in a minority wearing masks :(

My DIL was vaccinated, twice, and then gave up on the mask. 3 weeks ago, she got Covid.
This morning I was giving a class to a language student - he was also vaccinated, twice. He got Covid last week.
A guy who lived down the road didn´t get vaccinated and died of Covid within 5 days.
We´re very much not out of the woods yet, so I still think it´s necessary to take precautions.
As for Covid Passports - it was inevitable. I can imagine they will be enforced more and more, and any kicking, screaming and throwing tantrums will be irrelevant, thank goodness. If that´s what is needed to take the pressure off the health services and getting the world economies back on track, it´s a small unselfish price to pay.

he was also vaccinated, twice. He got Covid last week.

Oh - I am thinking this must be an on-line class? I hope so!

For sure, we can all catch Covid when double vaxed and we can also carry it without knowing and pass it to others. The main point is that the vaccine minimises serious illness and death.

I went into D.C. last night to get a few shots of the "In America: Remember" installation that is going up. Each flag represents a life, and each flag has the info and a quick story of the deceased person it represents. I posted it to my IG with a simple message of "a lot of people quietly contemplating. A virus doesn't care about your politics". Well that sure triggered some people.

This isn't even the half of it. They are still recruiting volunteers to help fill and place the flags. The pics don't do justice to the size of this field of flags.

"It's just the flu, bro"
51498979532_11a540c037_6k.jpg

51500703815_f1c63b771a_6k.jpg

51498979822_3dc9edce98_6k.jpg

51499765076_87465fe045_6k.jpgD.C. Nights by Jono Kenyon, on Flickr

I can't find any evidence for this. As garlichead quotes above - any meaningful comparison looks at the percentage of the population dying (not total numbers of people dying) and the population in 1918 was significantly lower than today.

It's just the total count. Comparable or not, it is still a milestone.

Honestly, I don't think it is possible to come to any conclusions in a comparison of two virus pandemics 102 years apart.

CD

And, as a resident of the Great, totally unrestricted State of Texas, the Ontario restrictions are better than NO restrictions.

CD
We've had restrictions in restaurants from the very beginning, the most restrictive actually. No restrictions don't make much sense, if that's true.....Texas has no restrictions wow. Even Sweden had some restrictions.

Last edited:
We've had restrictions in restaurants from the very beginning, the most restrictive actually. No restrictions don't make much sense, if that's true.....Texas has no restrictions wow. Even Sweden had some restrictions.

Zero. In fact, public schools in Texas are even prohibited by Executive Order to require vaccinations or masks for teachers or students.

Well, actually, individual businesses can require masks, but not vaccines (that will be going to court before long). Hospitals can also require masks, but can not require vaccines for employees (again, see ya' in court, Governor).

CD

Zero. In fact, public schools in Texas are even prohibited by Executive Order to require vaccinations or masks for teachers or students.

Well, actually, individual businesses can require masks, but not vaccines (that will be going to court before long). Hospitals can also require masks, but can not require vaccines for employees (again, see ya' in court, Governor).

CD
What is there argument, they must have one. Ok, so vaccinations and masks are not required but can teachers and students wear masks or get vaccinated if they want?

A woman was reported to have died from covid-19 after being fully vacinated!!! How in the world does THAT happen?!!!! 😱

What is there argument, they must have one. Ok, so vaccinations and masks are not required but can teachers and students wear masks or get vaccinated if they want?

Yes, they can. The argument is "personal freedom." It is all political. "Don't tell me what to do with MY body -- unless I'm a woman, and... you can fill in the blanks on that.

One problem with no mask mandates in schools is that children don't have the maturity to make that personal decision, and the parents won't be there to make it for them when they are in school The kids will go with peer pressure.

The argument from MOST people in Texas is that, because a minority of Texans are anti-vax and anti-mask, we all have to go back to wearing masks, not going to restaurants to protect ourselves, and protect the unvaccinated from the spread of this new Delta variant that is killing them, and filling up Texas hospital beds.

CD

A woman was reported to have died from covid-19 after being fully vacinated!!! How in the world does THAT happen?!!!! 😱

Any particulars other than "a woman?" It's possible, but extremely unlikely. Fewer than one percent of Covid deaths in the US are fully vaccinated people.

People read stories like "Fully Vaccinated Woman Dies of Covid," out of context, and some figure, the vaccinations don't work. Then they tell their friends, "See, those vaccinations don't work."

CD

Yes, they can. The argument is "personal freedom." It is all political. "Don't tell me what to do with MY body -- unless I'm a woman, and... you can fill in the blanks on that.

One problem with no mask mandates in schools is that children don't have the maturity to make that personal decision, and the parents won't be there to make it for them when they are in school The kids will go with peer pressure.

The argument from MOST people in Texas is that, because a minority of Texans are anti-vax and anti-mask, we all have to go back to wearing masks, not going to restaurants to protect ourselves, and protect the unvaccinated from the spread of this new Delta variant that is killing them, and filling up Texas hospital beds.

CD
Right ok. Only freedom, that's it? How many children have died in Texas 17 and under of covid?

Back
Top Bottom