How is the corona virus affecting you?

For the better I would think. I don't follow the Netherlands but just from taking a quick look it's showing infections per million have tripled in the last 3 weeks and the reproduction rate is as high as it was back in August 2020 which is the likelihood that someone will infect another person.
Yeah, I made a post about that a few pages back. Their lack of initiative is getting really tiring.

Yeah, I made a post about that a few pages back. Their lack of initiative is getting really tiring.
Looks like a trend for a few Countries, not just yours. The UK has had an upward trend for a while and Germany. I remember when Israel back in Jan had 1000 cases per million a day, they expedited the vaccine rollout and cases dropped to 15 or 20 per million by April but started to come down almost immediately. Then in July it started to climb to 1200 cases per million by the middle of Sept. They immediately rolled out the booster and it's now back to around 100.

That was about a 7 month gap from vaccine rollout to higher infections which we know the vaccines wain and Israel used the Pfizer vaccine. Basically, does the vaccine wain around 7 months or are the vaccines not as protective as we though for the Delta variant, or both. When did the Netherlands roll out the vaccines originally? Cases started to drop at the start of May and given it takes a while for stats to catch up is late march, early april....is that when the rollouts basically picked up steam? Just curious.

That was about a 7 month gap from vaccine rollout to higher infections which we know the vaccines wain and Israel used the Pfizer vaccine. Basically, does the vaccine wain around 7 months or are the vaccines not as protective as we though for the Delta variant, or both. When did the Netherlands roll out the vaccines originally? Cases started to drop at the start of May and given it takes a while for stats to catch up is late march, early april....is that when the rollouts basically picked up steam? Just curious.
No, the people infected right now are for 75% the unvaxxed here, the rest is elderly or otherwise severely ill. Our vaccinations only picked up steam in June, so almost everyone is still within it's effects. I'm in an at risk group and I also got my first vax only at the end of may.
The problem is mainly in religious communities where the majority doesn't want to get vaxxed but they do have a very active life. The stats show the religious hubs in the country are currently suffering the most infections.

The UK has had an upward trend for a while

I was reading today something I'd already thought, which makes it very difficult to compare data across countries or even with our own data from a year ago. It is that the UK now has one of the highest testing rates per capita. This means of course, that the UK may appear to have higher infection rates per capita. This is particularly important in relation to children and younger adults who are getting infected but showing no symptoms. If those people are not being tested so much in other countries, it skews the data and may make it appear that those countries have lower infection rates.

Not that I'm saying we don't have a big problem - but maybe the data to really watch and compare (in the Western world at least) is the number of hospitalisations and deaths per capita due to covid.

I was reading today something I'd already thought, which makes it very difficult to compare data across countries or even with our own data from a year ago. It is that the UK now has one of the highest testing rates per capita. This means of course, that the UK may appear to have higher infection rates per capita. This is particularly important in relation to children and younger adults who are getting infected but showing no symptoms. If those people are not being tested so much in other countries, it skews the data and may make it appear that those countries have lower infection rates.

Not that I'm saying we don't have a big problem - but maybe the data to really watch and compare (in the Western world at least) is the number of hospitalisations and deaths per capita due to covid.
For sure MG it's all relative and why multiply data points are crucial for comparing. The UK and Denmark do the most sequencing by a wide margin than any other Countries and any fluctuations need to be considered for sure. The UK started testing more than other Countries back in January and has been consistent in doing so. Daily testing in the UK has gone down slightly from the beginning of September for example while hospitalizations have gone up since the beginning of this month and deaths are slightly up, or are not going down. That was why I was concerned. There is another factor though that is relatively new.

Because the UK do the most sequencing the new variant AY 4.2. otherwise known as the "Delta Plus" has been found in around 15,000 people in the UK and more than likely the WHO will declare it a variant under investigation "VUI" It's been slowly rolling out for a while now and is considered marginally more infectious but evolutionarily speaking not like the Delta that burst onto the scene and became the dominant variant around the world quickly, so we'll see what this new variant does over time, probably not too much but you never know for sure. But it makes up around 8% of all new cases in the UK and is really not showing up anywhere else and that is attributed to the high testing done in the UK and it could factor in to the increased cases and hospitalizations ???

My concern for the UK is I generally compare your Country with the USA and they've pretty much mirrored each other with the UK generally speaking ahead of the curve, except for now, or recently I mean. New cases in the USA have gone down steadily but so have hospitalizations and death, the opposite is happening in the UK and that is with the UK's testing going down as well. It's a wait and see game. Personally I feel we need to be a little more cautious with lifting restrictions. They're talking in My Country to lift all restrictions and to eliminate the vaccine passport by the spring.....we've just gone to as new level where there's no seating restriction in restaurants, which the gov't has been using as their whipping post all during the pandemic, so that is concerning for me.

Just to add MG, herd immunity is now a consideration for quite a few Countries in the respect that the more people that get infected the more protecting it is to the overall population. India and Japan are good examples. This could have an effect on the USA numbers right now and should or will influence the UK soon simply because of the lower than expected vaccination rate and the high infection rate and we just haven't seen this roll out quite yet, but I suspect it will soon for the UK. the first indicators will be hospitalizations and deaths. Also the hospitalizations and death in the USA is astronomical compared to anybody else, it's just crazy overall but it's nice to see it coming down.

This site is good re if anyone wants to see stats per population numbers - covid-cases. You can preset the countries you want to look at. The USA has more deaths per capita from Covid than UK, Canada, Germany & France

Officially required third dose of vaccine here. As it was in the beginning, the first to be vaccinated will be the 80+, then going downhill.
The no-vax people will have a new argument to latch onto. If in the beginning they seemed harmless though stupid annoying idiots, now they have become dangerous and threatening, as well as convenient for some political faction to use as pawns to hurl against their opponents.

I don't know if there is a Green-pass obligation in your countries, but here there is, and frankly I am more than in favour of it. It is not a lack of freedom, quite the opposite. It is not the antidote, but it is certainly a means of protecting oneself even more. Basically, the green-pass is an instrument that certifies the fact that you are fully vaccinated, an app that you can download onto your mobile phone (or print out and take with you) and allows you access to any public or private establishment, from restaurants to bars to work.

Officially required third dose of vaccine here. As it was in the beginning, the first to be vaccinated will be the 80+, then going downhill.
The no-vax people will have a new argument to latch onto. If in the beginning they seemed harmless though stupid annoying idiots, now they have become dangerous and threatening, as well as convenient for some political faction to use as pawns to hurl against their opponents.

I don't know if there is a Green-pass obligation in your countries, but here there is, and frankly I am more than in favour of it. It is not a lack of freedom, quite the opposite. It is not the antidote, but it is certainly a means of protecting oneself even more. Basically, the green-pass is an instrument that certifies the fact that you are fully vaccinated, an app that you can download onto your mobile phone (or print out and take with you) and allows you access to any public or private establishment, from restaurants to bars to work.
Yes Canada requires proof for being fully vaccinated for most destinations and most jobs. Personally I would have liked to have seen a more proactive attempt to initiate a home covid defense kit. It's a bit of a no brainer that Vit D and Zinc be a defense against Covid 19. I've been using both since the very beginning of the pandemic because....wait for it......it helps the immune system cope with invaders including covid infections and the multiple studies have shown this and If I can come to this conclusion why haven't the gov'ts. Simple politics. Nobody in gov't has mentioned their efficacy.... crickets. Well with the exception of India and Japan. It will be interesting to find out why this has happened because these questions will come out in the wash, there's no doubt about it. Personally I consider this negligence and incomprehendable for a gov't and health to totally ignore a basic "do no harm" mantra. I'm fuming about it actually, sorry for the rant in this regard.

Yes Canada requires proof for being fully vaccinated for most destinations and most jobs. Personally I would have liked to have seen a more proactive attempt to initiate a home covid defense kit. It's a bit of a no brainer that Vit D and Zinc be a defense against Covid 19. I've been using both since the very beginning of the pandemic because....wait for it......it helps the immune system cope with invaders including covid infections and the multiple studies have shown this and If I can come to this conclusion why haven't the gov'ts. Simple politics. Nobody in gov't has mentioned their efficacy.... crickets. Well with the exception of India and Japan. It will be interesting to find out why this has happened because these questions will come out in the wash, there's no doubt about it. Personally I consider this negligence and incomprehendable for a gov't and health to totally ignore a basic "do no harm" mantra. I'm fuming about it actually, sorry for the rant in this regard.

I would have liked to have had an anti-covid kit in the house at the beginning too, but it's there now, better than nothing.
The no-vax people are 'fighting' for freedom when in fact they are being used against it.
Anyway, our government provides swabs for those who don't want to vaccinate, but they are paid for (rightly so), whereas the vaccine is free.
Does this mean that those who don't vaccinate have to pay out of pocket for the vaccine every other day? Yes, it does. Is this a compulsion? Yes, but a necessary one. Is it a restriction of freedom of choice not to vaccinate? If I were a no-vaccine person I would say yes, but not being like this I say that thank goodness it is a very valid instrument of control for those who have chosen to be vaccinated.

I would have liked to have had an anti-covid kit in the house at the beginning too, but it's there now, better than nothing.
The no-vax people are 'fighting' for freedom when in fact they are being used against it.
Anyway, our government provides swabs for those who don't want to vaccinate, but they are paid for (rightly so), whereas the vaccine is free.
Does this mean that those who don't vaccinate have to pay out of pocket for the vaccine every other day? Yes, it does. Is this a compulsion? Yes, but a necessary one. Is it a restriction of freedom of choice not to vaccinate? If I were a no-vaccine person I would say yes, but not being like this I say that thank goodness it is a very valid instrument of control for those who have chosen to be vaccinated.
I'm not saying instead of the vaccine, I'm saying in tandem with the vaccine.

As far as people not wanting to get vaccinated let me just say that I understand the right every individual should have when it comes to a medication and the right to refuse. The road to feeling safe as a society can sometime lead to a place one never expected to be or would ever go.

Back
Top Bottom