How is the corona virus affecting you?

I'd hope so. But somehow it seems like he simply evades allegations.
He won't leave, but when the Tory MPs go home for Christmas they will start messaging each other and determine he is a liability. If some of them have got the backbone there will be a vote of no confidence in the new year. That's how the Tories work. Note too how Matt Hancock has reappeared reminding people that he did the honourable thing and resigned and how he fully understands the errors he made.... setting himself up for a glorious return as a leadership candidate.

This whole situation with the new lockdown and the new variants and everything is taking it's toll on my mental health. I'm usually an optimistic type but I've suffered from depression before and I'm starting to notice it's symptoms creeping up.
I know what to do about it, and this too shall pass. But I'm feeling pretty down and haven't felt any real joy since the last press conference on nov 24th. I see little perspective for the future and feel drained and unable to focus on anything. Meh.

I'm sorry you are starting to feel your illness returning. This new twist happening when we are all exhausted, and during the depth of winter is difficult to shoulder. Clearly there is nothing helpful I can do for you, and all I have is virtual hugs.

If there is one thing to hang onto it's that there is growing evidence that the Omicron variant might be the one we have been waiting for; highly transmissible but very mild. This has the potential to quickly deliver mass immunity without costing too many lives.

Dr John Campbell is a reliable source of verified data.

View: https://youtu.be/5r0AA41dgLU

I'm sorry you are starting to feel your illness returning. This new twist happening when we are all exhausted, and during the depth of winter is difficult to shoulder. Clearly there is nothing helpful I can do for you, and all I have is virtual hugs.

If there is one thing to hang onto it's that there is growing evidence that the Omicron variant might be the one we have been waiting for; highly transmissible but very mild. This has the potential to quickly deliver mass immunity without costing too many lives.

Dr John Campbell is a reliable source of verified data.

View: https://youtu.be/5r0AA41dgLU
Thanks, I didn't know that about Omicron! Makes me feel a little better :hug:

It will pass, I've never had severe depression. But it's a bleak feeling, and like you said I won't be the only one. I just have few people to share it with, and they are currently all burned out/and or depressed too so I don't want to vent too much.
If it gets worse I'll contact my doctor, I don't mind taking meds if it helps me pull through until spring.

Had booster shot (Moderna) today. It was tricky for my partner (who has dementia). I think he didn't really understand what we were both doing there. Despite my fears (its bang in the town centre in the midst of Christmas shoppers) it was very well organised with no real queue and distancing and masks were enforced so I felt quite safe.

Last edited:
I don't get depressed, but I do get that somewhat bleak or blah feeing.

In many aspects of my life, I do much better when things have a definite end. I have a much harder time with things that go on and on an on, with no concrete end in sight.

For example, if we were in the middle of this thing, and we were advanced enough to say, "This will end no later than 31 December 2022," I'd be fine. I know when it'll end. Even if it were 2027, I could say, "Ok, hunker down for the next six years, but then we're done with this. Can do!"

It's the uncertainty that blahs me. It's just that feeling of waking up, chipper, then 30 seconds later..."Oh yeah, COVID...it's crap these days," and not knowing when that'll be done with.

I don't get depressed, but I do get that somewhat bleak or blah feeing.

I'm on the verge of sinking into depression, so I perfectly understand you Windigo. I have not much to look forward to except 'life as a carer' which will get more difficult, no doubt. Cooking and food photography is my 'escape' and creative outlet and I've been doing less of that due to other issues. I'll be OK. I have to be, to look after my partner. In truth I've been through worse situations on a domestic level, but in those days I was a bit younger, fitter and as they say 'when the going gets tough, the tough go shopping'! In my case it was clothes shopping. I could shop till I dropped. I do miss that.

It's the uncertainty that blahs me. It's just that feeling of waking up, chipper, then 30 seconds later..."Oh yeah, COVID...it's crap these days," and not knowing when that'll be done with.

I agree.

To continue, it's not even the specifics of having to wear a mask, or keeping your distance, it's the having to mentally process everything through your invisible COVID filter, as in:

"That doughnut looks good, let me just reach in there with these tongs and...wait a minute, can I still use public tongs with the virus everywhere?"

"Looking forward to buying a new car this year, that'll be fun...wait a minute, when I test drive a car now, do I have to wipe everything down first and when I'm done?"

"Hey, my neighbor got a new dog, I'm going to give her a pat on the head...wait a minute, do I have to wipe that dog's head off before I touch it?"

Everything, even the most ridiculous things, seem to have some COVID protocol, and it's exhausting constantly having to think COVID COVID COVID, all day long.

I wonder how many people have their utility companies banging at them because their power and water consumption has gone up during the pandemic? Does it make sense that with people home bound more often that such things are bound to happen? Do you find yourselves looking for neighbors tapping into your electric lines, cable TV and so forth. Are you looking for water leaks where there are none?

I´ve got my vaccinations and, now I´m here in Ohio, it´s a relief not to have to wear a damn mask all the time; although that may change.
Last year (2020) I was going nuts. My family was stranded in Europe, my car broke down, and everyone wore masks all the time, everywhere. A bloke came up to me in the supermarket one day and said:
"Hey! How are you? Haven´t seen you for ages!"
I hadn´t got a clue who it was until he lowered his mask. A neighbour from 5 houses down.:eek:
I was basically in solitary confinement from January till November. Depression? Nah - more like stark raving lunacy; I even started having conversations with the trees.
And I still totally fail to understand why people refuse to get the jab. I don´t give a monkey´s about their constitutional rights, their right to freedom of speech, their human rights, their stupid conspiracy theories or why they blindly believe they have a Magna Cum Laude degree in advanced infectology from Harvard and can therefore work it all out on the internet. What about MY right to lead a healthy life, eh?

To continue, it's not even the specifics of having to wear a mask, or keeping your distance, it's the having to mentally process everything through your invisible COVID filter, as in:

"That doughnut looks good, let me just reach in there with these tongs and...wait a minute, can I still use public tongs with the virus everywhere?"

"Looking forward to buying a new car this year, that'll be fun...wait a minute, when I test drive a car now, do I have to wipe everything down first and when I'm done?"

"Hey, my neighbor got a new dog, I'm going to give her a pat on the head...wait a minute, do I have to wipe that dog's head off before I touch it?"

Everything, even the most ridiculous things, seem to have some COVID protocol, and it's exhausting constantly having to think COVID COVID COVID, all day long.

Covid has not effected me with any form of depression. The closest thing has been financial worry due to business falling off.

BTW, it seems Covid is not very good at spreading by touch. It mostly spreads though breathing.

Also, Pfizer released some encouraging news about vaccines and Omicron. The current boosters are apparently quite effective against the variant, and they are working on a new formula that specifically targets Omicron, as well as earlier versions.

Basically, it looks like the more scientists learn about omicron, the less dangerous it seems to be. Let's hope so.

CD

Well ... I have a sore arm after the booster. But that's nothing. I'm hoping that omicron might prove to be the saviour in that it will take over, result in mild illness and not result in so many deaths. Its too early to say. In the UK, Deaths from Covid per day massively outnumber deaths by road traffic accidents or flu.

Back
Top Bottom