How is the corona virus affecting you?

There is a totally different approach to obeying laws in Australia. It is really expected that you do, period. I guess it's a cultural thing. We've seen a massive difference between the UK and Australia. It's hard to explain tbh. Certainly where we are, the general community approach to life is very much in accordance with obeying the law and the police. It is just expected and people do, so I guess people including family would report you.

But at the same time, there is also an understanding that restrictions such as lockdown are intended for cities and larger towns and are impossible to follow for people like ourselves living rurally. An example is during the lockdown, we were not meant to leave a 5km radius around our home. That's just not viable where we live. We wouldn't even get to the end of our road, let alone to the highway to access any service (food, doctors, chemist, fuel etc). And on the times I was challenged by police, and found to be over 50km away from home, explaining where we live, the police office would and did each time appreciate that the closest shops, petrol station, doctors, pharmacy and so on were the ones i was using. The only exception was a supermarket which was 64km away in another territory and every time we crossed the border we were challenged and allowed to pass without problem. Explaining that the IGA in xyz isn't suitable for a weekly shop usually got a smile and agreement from them and I'd get waved through.

It's just a totally different culture with a very obedient population. Plus fines are not insubstantial. My mum has told me that the UK fine is being out during lockdown was £50 ($100). Here it was $2,000 at the time.

And given how high the infections in my state alone have been since RAT tests results have been logged even before it became mandatory, it is clear that people are logging positive results. Yesterday's figures for infections were over 68,000. The previous day was higher because it as the first day of mandatory reporting which was over 92,000. The day before that was 34,000 and before that 25,000.

Plus there is a lot of help available to people who test positive, so there is quite a bit to gain in reporting a positive test. And I guess if you get ill enough to need medical help it's immediately apparent if you haven't reported it and the medical practice is obliged to report certain diseases so you'll get caught very easily. Right now there are a whole host of services available to you free if you are positive including free doctors appointments over the phone. But you have to be waiting for a result (so self isolating like we are) or positive to qualify, otherwise it's something like $100 for a phone consult if it isn't bulk billed. Some medical appointments are free, some are not and I've yet to suss it out why because 1 of my doctors charges for routine appointments such as needing a script for medication, and free for a new condition, but the head of the practice and another Dr I see do the exact reverse which makes more sense to me (charge for a new condition, free for follow up apts and scripts).
That's amazing. Many people in the US (not all) tend to do as they please and many think they are above the law (some politicians and celebrities especially). In that instance, it's more of a generational thing I think.

Are you feeling a bit better today, then?

Are you feeling a bit better today, then?
Pretty much the same and having issues with my breathing still, with frequent asthma attacks and really breathless. Plus I'm exhausted but that's often a side effect of me getting ill and being in antibiotics (yep, I know covid is a virus and hence ABs are useless for it, but I'm assuming the chest infection which has responded to antibiotics is a secondary infection if I'm positive...)

We're also now out of all fresh fruit (except for the lemon tree outside) and all veg except garlic which is the only ripe things in the veg plot. It survived the hailstorm because I usually plant it too deep! The potatoes aren't ready yet.

And I've just found out from a journalist for the local council area newspaper that there is now an 8 day delay on PCR test results, so she's going to let us know of any RAT tests she hears of (or even sources 2 for us) so that even if we are positive (PCR test) we'll we able to get cleared before our citizenship ceremony because if there's an 8 day delay, day 6 results which need to be negative for us to attend won't actually be reported in time... the ceremony is a week Wednesday.

And she's going to hook us up with some local help from the closest town (read village but Aussies don't use the term, everything's a town if it is larger than 4 or 5 houses!). She's a good friend of the administrator for the local community page on FB and I'm not on social media so didn't know. So with any luck we might be able to get some groceries delivered. If we had a positive test result, we'd actually be entitled to it via the health services who I guess must be forcing supermarkets to cover those who can't leave home. Our usual fall back (our husband's boss is in the UK at present with his partner who has contacted covid!)

Pretty much the same and having issues with my breathing still, with frequent asthma attacks and really breathless. Plus I'm exhausted but that's often a side effect of me getting ill and being in antibiotics (yep, I know covid is a virus and hence ABs are useless for it, but I'm assuming the chest infection which has responded to antibiotics is a secondary infection if I'm positive...)

We're also now out of all fresh fruit (except for the lemon tree outside) and all veg except garlic which is the only ripe things in the veg plot. It survived the hailstorm because I usually plant it too deep! The potatoes aren't ready yet.

And I've just found out from a journalist for the local council area newspaper that there is now an 8 day delay on PCR test results, so she's going to let us know of any RAT tests she hears of (or even sources 2 for us) so that even if we are positive (PCR test) we'll we able to get cleared before our citizenship ceremony because if there's an 8 day delay, day 6 results which need to be negative for us to attend won't actually be reported in time... the ceremony is a week Wednesday.

And she's going to hook us up with some local help from the closest town (read village but Aussies don't use the term, everything's a town if it is larger than 4 or 5 houses!). She's a good friend of the administrator for the local community page on FB and I'm not on social media so didn't know. So with any luck we might be able to get some groceries delivered. If we had a positive test result, we'd actually be entitled to it via the health services who I guess must be forcing supermarkets to cover those who can't leave home. Our usual fall back (our husband's boss is in the UK at present with his partner who has contacted covid!)
Yeah, I often read your screen name as Savvy, LOL. But I read several posts ago about green phlegm and I figure by our ages we know that usually means a secondary bacterial infection regardless of the initial disease. I used to get horrible colds (virus) that almost always lead to bronchitis and green sputum (sorry everybody, I know it sounds disgusting). I don't think it matters if you turn out to be positive for this particular virus or not, of course I am no healthcare professional but I feel like you know yourself well enough...to know.

I hope your breathing gets better and you pull out of this quickly. It sucks, I am so sorry you aren't well. I know it doesn't make you feel any better to know that I am in the camp of exhausted, but a commiseration of sort.

I was up and around for 3 hours today and it was exhausting, but at least I wasn't dizzy today. I managed to scrub the kitchen sink and disinfected it with white vinegar, wheee! I've been meaning to do that for several days but didn't have the energy. Little by little, right?

Get more rest and get well! I would try to give you some nutritional advice but you probably know more than I do so I won't even go there!

Get more rest and get well! I would try to give you some nutritional advice but you probably know more than I do so I won't even go there!
Yep. I'm pretty up on the nutritional side of being vegan.

Many years ago when we were going off to attempt to cycle around the world we actually consulted a nutritionist who was a friend of a friend. The outcome was to make no changes to our diet except in quantity!

As for right now, I've a good 28 days of protein supplements (vegan shake with 31g of protein when made with water, and 40g if made with 50/50 soya milk/water). We keep it in for when I can't eat or drink much due to my geographic tongue (It's permanent and chronic and untreatable, it only responds to zinc). With a straw you can bypass the tongue and not leave blisters and all sorts of burns in the mouth.

Multivitamins and Vit C have always been a must. Sadly potassium has joined that list as well (from a medical stand point) and calcium... osteoporosis treatment because of essential and life long steroid use plus the anaphylaxis to dairy.

Right now we don't have a single piece of fresh fruit or veg in the house excluding lemons! Lol. Luckily we have frozen food in the freezer and the local community are coming up with some for us whilst we get an order placed online that they'll collect for us and deliver to us (tomorrow). So very kind of them.

The lockdown is now a lockdown light, but the rules are just crazy now.

- You can visit a prostitute, barber or other close contact worker if you wear a mask
- But you have to keep 1.5 metres distance everywhere else, including at home when friends come
-And restaurants, hotels, bars and cultural venues are still forced to stay closed
-While stores are open but have to keep distance and limit the people that can enter
-But all sports including contact sports are allowed with a mask
- Schools are all opened again entirely
- And craziest of all: vaxxed people do not have to quarantine if they're positive to covid!

Can any of you make sense of this? Because we the Dutch people overwhelmingly can't. Today all restaurants and bars are open as a protest, and muncipalities support this protest against the government. Me and my husband and stepson are going to eat out at our friends place to join the protest. This is insanity. Either continue the lockdown or don't , but these crazy half %$# rules won't work and especially not when they let positive people go everywhere!

Last edited:

- You can visit a prostitute, barber or other close contact worker if you wear a mask
- But you have to keep 1.5 metres distance everywhere else, including at home when friends come
-And restaurants, hotels, bars and cultural venues are still forced to stay closed
-While stores are open but have to keep distance and limit the people that can enter
- And craziest of all: vaxxed people do not have to quarantine if they're positive to covid!

Can any of you make sense of this? Because we the Dutch people overwhelmingly can't. Today all restaurants and bars are open as a protest, and muncipalities support this protest against the government. Me and my husband and stepson are going to eat out at our friends place to join the protest. This is insanity. Either continue the lockdown or don't , but these crazy half %$# rules won't work and especially not when they let positive people go everywhere!
Oh my, I don't know whether to laugh or cry. That is shockingly absurd!

The end goal of the pandemic is that vaxxed people don't quarantine when they test positive, but normally you wouldn't have draconian mitigation happening at the same time, now that is crazy and probably a lot to do with power and influence.
How does it feel to be an anti vaxxer? because that is where you slot in the narrative. Crazy times for sure, but I suspect we're in the 4th quarter now.

The end goal of the pandemic is that vaxxed people don't quarantine when they test positive, but normally you wouldn't have draconian mitigation happening at the same time, now that is crazy and probably a lot to do with power and influence.
How does it feel to be an anti vaxxer? because that is where you slot in the narrative. Crazy times for sure, but I suspect we're in the 4th quarter now.
She's not an antivaxxer. That's ridiculous, why would you say that?

Excuse me, what?

I am an anti vaxxer because I point out these rules are nuts? Are you ok otherwise?

She's not an antivaxxer. That's ridiculous, why would you say that?
I have no clue what he's on about. I've been supportive of every measure so far and I am pointing out these crazy rules only because they make no sense at all and don't help to stop the spread of covid.
If anything that's the opposite of being an anti vaxxer

I have no clue what he's on about. I've been supportive of every measure so far and I am pointing out these crazy rules only because they make no sense at all and don't help to stop the spread of covid.
If anything that's the opposite of being an anti vaxxer
Yeah I believe I remember you posting recently you were looking forward to your 4th jab, which will be an omicron-specific vaccine. Me too, BTW.

Yeah I believe I remember you posting recently you were looking forward to your 4th jab, which will be an omicron-specific vaccine. Me too, BTW.
Yup, and I've had all my vaccinations up to date. I was even the one complaining for about 5 posts about not getting a booster soon enough because our country is so slow with the booster campaign.

Critical against (insane) measures does not equal antivaxxer.

Back
Top Bottom