How is the corona virus affecting you?

I only started getting them when Covid-19 appeared. My doctor and several friends who are nurses told me it would help the healthcare community greatly if everyone got the flu shot since the symptoms are so similar. They said it lessens the burden during admissions to narrow down which illness a patient has. I did it for them.
Some new data is coming out I believe from the Netherlands that if someone was infected with the other 4 current coronaviruses during this pandemic that some cross protection (immunity) is occurring. In otherwords if you get the flu it's advantageous against covid2, I found that pretty interesting but it makes total sense, so I'm not surprised.

Some new data is coming out I believe from the Netherlands that if someone was infected with the other 4 current coronaviruses during this pandemic that some cross protection (immunity) is occurring. In otherwords if you get the flu it's advantageous against covid2, I found that pretty interesting but it makes total sense, so I'm not surprised.
Stands to reason that getting flu shot would provide protection too, then.

All I know is I'm glad my illness appears to be lasting a few days instead of a week or more.

Sorry to hear that, JAS_OH1.
My grandchild was sent home from kinder on Monday because another kid had tested positive last Thursday. We gave him a test this morning, and my wife/DIL swore there was a little pink line on the test. To be honest, I didn´t see anything.
Anyhow - everyone is now at panic stations. They´re all going for tests with the doc tomorrow but the doc said I couldn´t go because no sniffles, no headaches, no weakness, no symptoms at all. Let´s see what happens...

Pretty sure you can get an appointment at a pharmacy that offers tests based on the possibility of exposure.

In my opinion (from what I've read) the PCR tests are more reliable than home tests.

All I know is I'm glad my illness appears to be lasting a few days instead of a week or more
I'm glad for you.

I've just tried sanitizing various work surfaces, door handles and the bathroom. I didn't get as far as the bedroom or the toilet or the laundry or sitting room or dining room, or the mud room... it might be a shorter list if I list what I did manage! I'm exhausted now, my thoracic spine aches like the dickens but I have got all the windows and doors open. It's a pleasant 19°C out at the moment, so everything is open. That's how we usually live so plenty of fresh air is normal here.

I'll read or knit or Netflix binge for a while longer, DM my hubby the self isolation guidelines and fines for not don't so (this night just give him the idea that he needs to be more careful, but i doubt it, I've known him too long and we've rarely not slept together even when ill)....

In my opinion (from what I've read) the PCR tests are more reliable than home tests.
In Australia, they've stated that if you have symptoms and a home test kit (rapid antigen test) comes back positive then you've got it (in all likelihood to the point that they no longer check with a PCR test.) There're also issuing $1,000 fines for failure to report a positive RAT test in most states and territories.

Fines for not obeying self isolation are a maximum of $11,000 and increase per person per day by $5,500. There're also a prison sentence...

For individuals, the maximum penalty is $11,000, 6 months in prison, or both with a further $5,500 fine for each day the offence continues.

The NSW Police may also issue on-the-spot fines to individuals of:
  • $5000 for failure to comply with obligations to self-isolate if you are diagnosed with COVID-19, including staying at home or in hospital, as determined by a doctor, nurse or paramedic; providing details of contact with other persons and places you have visited; and complying with NSW Health guidelines
  • $5000 for failure to comply with obligations to self-isolate if you are a close contact of a person diagnosed with COVID-19, including staying at home up to 10 days, as determined by a doctor, nurse or paramedic; submitting to testing for COVID-19; and complying with NSW Health guidelines.
  • For corporations on-the-spot fines of $10,000 apply for failure to comply with obligations relating to self-isolation.

Stands to reason that getting flu shot would provide protection too, then.

All I know is I'm glad my illness appears to be lasting a few days instead of a week or more.
Not sure only because I haven't seen any data on that. The data was collected before any vaccines were administered so the data is from natural immunity only.

The vaccines are different from natural immunity where in they only attack the spike proteins by the production of neutralizing antibodies. The thing is the virus actually has 4 different proteins that make up the total structure and only natural immunity recognize all 4, so I'm not sure, I'd have to look more thouroughly. B cells and T cells are what work inside if a virus gets by the spike protein, which is what is happening when we get breakthrough infection from vaccines or natural simply because antibodies wain and the virus penetrates some receptors and symptoms can start. When the virus gets by those initial spike proteins our B cells identify the virus then go about making more antibodies but this generally takes 1 or 2 days to make enough antibodies to stop the virus from entering to begin with. This secondary protection (B & T cell production) will not be talked about in mainstream media mostly because it's confusing and may encourage people to not get vaccinated or boosted, which goes against everything the CDC is trying to do. Personally I believe full disclosure and transparency is the best course of action because it's eventually going to come out and it's common knowledge outside of North America because Canada also doesn't talk about it either.

Coronavirus: B cells and T cells explained

Last edited:
Everyone is going to be in contact with omicron and you did. Personally if there's no bad outcome then I would consider it a good thing. For all intents and purposes the pandemic is over for you, except you'll still have to adhere to all the mitigations. I suspect by the spring we'll all have been in contact and I suspect it will be considered endemic and just another flu by then, at least that's my opinion.

I heard an interview on NPR (Public Radio in the US) in the car today. The Covid expert said not to be too confident (complacent) in Covid becoming increasingly less dangerous, as in fewer and fewer deaths and hospitalizations. Even though that has been the case with Omicron, it could go just the opposite with the next variant, or not. We won't know until that variant emerges. It could go either way.

The lesson I took from that is to wait for the science. Don't get too wrapped up in predictions.

CD

I've never had a flu shot and never had the flu that I can remember, but yeah, it's out there, I see it all around me every year, generally in the fall and winter when everyone goes indoors.

I learned my lesson the hard way in January 2020. Flu morphed into pneumonia morphed into infection led to 5 days in the hospital. I get flu shots, now.

BTW, on of the strains of flu going around this year is not addressed by this year's flue shot. That happens, some years. Each year's flu shot is formulated based on a prediction of what strains are coming, and it is not a perfect system. Based on that, wearing a mask in public places (especially indoors) is a good idea all around.

CD

I heard an interview on NPR (Public Radio in the US) in the car today. The Covid expert said not to be too confident (complacent) in Covid becoming increasingly less dangerous, as in fewer and fewer deaths and hospitalizations. Even though that has been the case with Omicron, it could go just the opposite with the next variant, or not. We won't know until that variant emerges. It could go either way.

The lesson I took from that is to wait for the science. Don't get too wrapped up in predictions.

CD
The data on omicron and it's effects on hospitalizations and deaths in the USA is already out and have been tracked since the beginning of December. the video post Iinked a few posts up goes over it all. I understand could of, might, you never know but it's not something I'm particularly interested in, so I agree with you on that one.

In Australia, they've stated that if you have symptoms and a home test kit (rapid antigen test) comes back positive then you've got it (in all likelihood to the point that they no longer check with a PCR test.) There're also issuing $1,000 fines for failure to report a positive RAT test in most states and territories.

Fines for not obeying self isolation are a maximum of $11,000 and increase per person per day by $5,500. There're also a prison sentence...
Scary stuff.

It would be interesting to know how exactly they can track who tested positive to an at-home-test so that they can prosecute them? Is someone going to RAT on them? Sorry to be punny about such a serious subject but I couldn't help it.

It would be interesting to know how exactly they can track who tested positive to an at-home-test so that they can prosecute them? Is someone going to RAT on them? Sorry to be punny about such a serious subject but I couldn't help it.
There is a totally different approach to obeying laws in Australia. It is really expected that you do, period. I guess it's a cultural thing. We've seen a massive difference between the UK and Australia. It's hard to explain tbh. Certainly where we are, the general community approach to life is very much in accordance with obeying the law and the police. It is just expected and people do, so I guess people including family would report you.

But at the same time, there is also an understanding that restrictions such as lockdown are intended for cities and larger towns and are impossible to follow for people like ourselves living rurally. An example is during the lockdown, we were not meant to leave a 5km radius around our home. That's just not viable where we live. We wouldn't even get to the end of our road, let alone to the highway to access any service (food, doctors, chemist, fuel etc). And on the times I was challenged by police, and found to be over 50km away from home, explaining where we live, the police office would and did each time appreciate that the closest shops, petrol station, doctors, pharmacy and so on were the ones i was using. The only exception was a supermarket which was 64km away in another territory and every time we crossed the border we were challenged and allowed to pass without problem. Explaining that the IGA in xyz isn't suitable for a weekly shop usually got a smile and agreement from them and I'd get waved through.

It's just a totally different culture with a very obedient population. Plus fines are not insubstantial. My mum has told me that the UK fine is being out during lockdown was £50 ($100). Here it was $2,000 at the time.

And given how high the infections in my state alone have been since RAT tests results have been logged even before it became mandatory, it is clear that people are logging positive results. Yesterday's figures for infections were over 68,000. The previous day was higher because it as the first day of mandatory reporting which was over 92,000. The day before that was 34,000 and before that 25,000.

Plus there is a lot of help available to people who test positive, so there is quite a bit to gain in reporting a positive test. And I guess if you get ill enough to need medical help it's immediately apparent if you haven't reported it and the medical practice is obliged to report certain diseases so you'll get caught very easily. Right now there are a whole host of services available to you free if you are positive including free doctors appointments over the phone. But you have to be waiting for a result (so self isolating like we are) or positive to qualify, otherwise it's something like $100 for a phone consult if it isn't bulk billed. Some medical appointments are free, some are not and I've yet to suss it out why because 1 of my doctors charges for routine appointments such as needing a script for medication, and free for a new condition, but the head of the practice and another Dr I see do the exact reverse which makes more sense to me (charge for a new condition, free for follow up apts and scripts).

Back
Top Bottom