How is the corona virus affecting you?

I have flown internationally and domestically a few times during this Coronapocalypse, and I have no problem wearing the mask on the airplane. I will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I do look forward to the ease in testing requirements though. That was expensive and difficult to organize sometimes to get a test done 24-48 hrs before a flight, especially if traveling around holidays.
I will wear a mask everywhere I go, long after they relax any regulations. I only flew once during this pandemic and it's because I wanted to say goodbye to my aunt in Texas before she passed away. Heck, I am still doing most of my shopping online or curbside. I am back to work a little but you'd better believe I am remaining masked while doing so!

I miss going to Mexico every winter. This winter has been hard for me to deal with thus far. Thankfully spring isn't far away, but we won't have any actual "warm" weather until June. They advise not planting most summer crops until after Memorial day where I live because of frost danger. Yes, we have had snow in May before!

It's my 2nd COVID anniversary. It was two years ago that I first got infected with COVID 19. It took 5 days to recover. But I still have long haul covid side effects, particularly, - psoriasis. I have since had the Moderna vaccine and 6 months late, a moderna booster shot. The booster shot kind of wacked me for a couple days.

They are dropping the mask mandatory requirement, here in California, but I think that I will continue to wear the mask outdoors, regardless. You never know what the SARS/Covid virus will pit against us with another variant. People are still going dead, I notice. Germany has just overtaken the USA with the most COVID deaths, according to the J.Hopkins COVID tracker.

It's my 2nd COVID anniversary. It was two years ago that I first got infected with COVID 19. It took 5 days to recover. But I still have long haul covid side effects, particularly, - psoriasis. I have since had the Moderna vaccine and 6 months late, a moderna booster shot. The booster shot kind of wacked me for a couple days.

They are dropping the mask mandatory requirement, here in California, but I think that I will continue to wear the mask outdoors, regardless. You never know what the SARS/Covid virus will pit against us with another variant. People are still going dead, I notice. Germany has just overtaken the USA with the most COVID deaths, according to the J.Hopkins COVID tracker.
No, Germany has just over 120,000 deaths and the US is just over 930,000, around there anyway. I believe Brazil is the closest with around 650,000. Personally I'll be happy to drop the mask wearing and I never wear a mask outdoors.

No, Germany has just over 120,000 deaths and the US is just over 930,000, around there anyway. I believe Brazil is the closest with around 650,000. Personally I'll be happy to drop the mask wearing and I never wear a mask outdoors.

My apologies. Germany is now the country with the most cases, not deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins site.

My apologies. Germany is now the country with the most cases, not deaths, according to the Johns Hopkins site.
No problem FL. Germany does have a lot of cases but they don't have the most at the moment. Maybe John Hopkins tracks a certain type of Country, not sure but Austria, Estonia, Gibraltar, Georgia, Latvia for example are higher than Germany right now. Israel was probably the worst nation lately with almost 4 times as many cases as the USA during omicron and Israel was on their 2nd booster or 4th shot with one of the highest compliances for vaccinations of any country.

Here's a British study that demonstrates how long covid effects patients with a loss of smell and taste.

COVID-19 Can Shrink Some Brain Tissue
Interesting but very small sample sizes and of course this is an observational study, which translates to no controls, which on the hierarchy of studies is near the bottom and the samples were from an older population where brain degeneration is common. As well, this publication is a pre print and isn't peer reviewed yet, but it will be interesting to see what follow up studies conclude.

These findings may be the hallmarks of the degenerative spread of COVID-19, either via pathways related to the sense of smell, inflammation or immune response of the nervous system, or a lack of sensory input owing to a loss of smell.

At the end of this week the need for passenger locator forms when entering Britain is to be removed. That's it, the last bit of Covid legislation has gone, the pandemic is officialy over here in the UK.

So long as we ignore the fact that cases are rising by 50% each week at the moment

Interesting but very small sample sizes and of course this is an observational study, which translates to no controls, which on the hierarchy of studies is near the bottom and the samples were from an older population where brain degeneration is common. As well, this publication is a pre print and isn't peer reviewed yet, but it will be interesting to see what follow up studies conclude.
Brillant post!!!!!! Bravo Garlichead. This is the second time your critical thinking and knowledge of the scientific method has caught my eye.

I still wear a mask in public and I get sneered at occasionally by some people, looks of contempt. I don't get it. I will probably continue to wear a mask in public for a very long time.

I still wear a mask in public and I get sneered at occasionally by some people, looks of contempt. I don't get it. I will probably continue to wear a mask in public for a very long time.
In Canada masks been mandatory right from the beginning, so basically 2 years, that's a significant amount of time with no choice and people are cool with that because it is easily shown to reduce transmission. Masks in Canada for the most part come off next week, as well as all other mitigations. I continue to hear people say they will continue to wear a mask, personally I won't be.

Choice or the freedom to choose is now the norm and within that framework taking the last 2 years into account people are still extremely scared and will continue to feel guilty if they don't wear the mask. That's the impression I'm getting when I talk to people about it over the last few months. Unfortunately people will project their disagreement based on the continued beliefs in what they've been told, ad nauseum for the last 2 years. You can't blame them because we're going to see people that will do and act that same way towards people that don't wear a mask, which has manifested everyday when it was mandatory and someone was shamed or singled out when they didn't wear one.

It's complicated, but personally we should not judge other peoples decisions and hopefully we can transition smoothly but I suspect people are going to react to either scenario for a long long time.

In Canada masks been mandatory right from the beginning, so basically 2 years, that's a significant amount of time with no choice and people are cool with that because it is easily shown to reduce transmission. Masks in Canada for the most part come off next week, as well as all other mitigations. I continue to hear people say they will continue to wear a mask, personally I won't be.

Choice or the freedom to choose is now the norm and within that framework taking the last 2 years into account people are still extremely scared and will continue to feel guilty if they don't wear the mask. That's the impression I'm getting when I talk to people about it over the last few months. Unfortunately people will project their disagreement based on the continued beliefs in what they've been told, ad nauseum for the last 2 years. You can't blame them because we're going to see people that will do and act that same way towards people that don't wear a mask, which has manifested everyday when it was mandatory and someone was shamed or singled out when they didn't wear one.

It's complicated, but personally we should not judge other peoples decisions and hopefully we can transition smoothly but I suspect people are going to react to either scenario for a long long time.
I really liked not getting colds and other nasty respiratory viruses over the past 2 years, that's why I choose to wear a mask. Yes, I did get covid-19 in January, but that's because my husband brought it home to me after making wine with his cousins and hanging out at the Italian American Club at the bar afterwards (none of them were wearing masks and he was hanging out with 9 people in close proximity for over 4 hours).

I realize that the mask mandate has been relaxed in many public places, but if I don't want to get a cold I don't get why people want to give me dirty looks. Also, my MIL is immunocompromised with a lung disease and pretty much ANY virus could do her in (especially respiratory), or at least make her so sick she ends up in the hospital. I like to have her up for dinner occasionally and the healthier I stay, the healthier she will be.

Brillant post!!!!!! Bravo Garlichead. This is the second time your critical thinking and knowledge of the scientific method has caught my eye.
Thanks FF. Not brilliant because it is what it is and I've just been interested in biology on a few fronts for many decades and reading/understanding studies is the foundation and that's where you learn, and this one was an easy one. Trust me some are so hard to read that it can literally take days for me to figure out or can't figure out and have to ask a few sources for help. As well my understanding is limited and I understand that completely which is where I can go down the rabbit hole for a very long time just to make sense of one simple conclusion for example. The most valuable thing I've taken away, which took me a while to understand, a couple of years actually, was that personal bias in science is probably the worse possible mindset a person could have and keeping that in check and staying neutral can be very difficult sometimes. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom