How is the corona virus affecting you?

I really liked not getting colds and other nasty respiratory viruses over the past 2 years, that's why I choose to wear a mask. Yes, I did get covid-19 in January, but that's because my husband brought it home to me after making wine with his cousins and hanging out at the Italian American Club at the bar afterwards (none of them were wearing masks and he was hanging out with 9 people in close proximity for over 4 hours).

I realize that the mask mandate has been relaxed in many public places, but if I don't want to get a cold I don't get why people want to give me dirty looks. Also, my MIL is immunocompromised with a lung disease and pretty much ANY virus could do her in (especially respiratory), or at least make her so sick she ends up in the hospital. I like to have her up for dinner occasionally and the healthier I stay, the healthier she will be.
I support personal choice. Hopefully we can do that peacefully. Cheers

I support personal choice. Hopefully we can do that peacefully. Cheers
Agreed, I am all about peace.

I must say, however, that I am almost ready to go out to a restaurant again, but it's going to play a big part in my decision on where to go depending on whether or not the staff are wearing masks. At least while we still have a lot of covid cases and death in this country. Yes, covid cases have fallen, but there are still a lot of people in the hospital and a lot of people are dying. I know a lot of people who feel the same way. They don't want to patronize restaurants where the staff is not masked. I am not going to give them any grief about it, but they aren't going to get any of my money, either.

I must say, however, that I am almost ready to go out to a restaurant again, but it's going to play a big part in my decision on where to go depending on whether or not the staff are wearing masks. At least while we still have a lot of covid cases and death in this country. Yes, covid cases have fallen, but there are still a lot of people in the hospital and a lot of people are dying. I know a lot of people who feel the same way. They don't want to patronize restaurants where the staff is not masked. I am not going to give them any grief about it, but they aren't going to get any of my money, either.
The USA now has less covid cases per million that Canada or Japan and actually have almost the lowest of most Countries. Also the reproduction rate is in the basement lower than almost all Countries. Like I said it will be a long time before people feel comfortable.

The USA now has less covid cases per million that Canada or Japan and actually have almost the lowest of most Countries. Also the reproduction rate is in the basement lower than almost all Countries. Like I said it will be a long time before people feel comfortable.
Well at the moment that doesn't make me feel that much better--just because ours are lower than another country doesn't mean that enough people are staying out of the hospitals and not dying from it in ours.

But I get what you are saying, yes, some already were comfortable and lots of others won't be for a very long time. It is what it is.

I must say, however, that I am almost ready to go out to a restaurant again
Indoors is all about circulation, heppa filters and air flow turnover. For example if someone sprays say perfume in a large theater in one corner of the room and your in the other end and if you smell the perfume eventually then those particles have penetrated your nasal passages. Originally covid 19 particles were thought to transmit through small particle size which they do but we know now that covid is spread like an aerosol much like perfume, making most masks especially cloth pretty useless. We've known this for a very long time but it took till recently where N95's started to get a lot of air time in main stream media.

In a restaurant setting where the guests are sitting and dinning and are unmasked that is by far the more serious threat as a contagion than the service staff being unmasked, basically it's a moot point. The reason is air will be contaminated with aerosol particles from everyone unmasked which will have a cumulative effect. Your probably better off not going to any restaurants considering your reasoning. Cheers.

Indoors is all about circulation, heppa filters and air flow turnover. For example if someone sprays say perfume in a large theater in one corner of the room and your in the other end and if you smell the perfume eventually then those particles have penetrated your nasal passages. Originally covid 19 particles were thought to transmit through small particle size which they do but we know now that covid is spread like an aerosol much like perfume, making most masks especially cloth pretty useless. We've known this for a very long time but it took till recently where N95's started to get a lot of air time in main stream media.

In a restaurant setting where the guests are sitting and dinning and are unmasked that is by far the more serious threat as a contagion than the service staff being unmasked, basically it's a moot point. The reason is air will be contaminated with aerosol particles from everyone unmasked which will have a cumulative effect. Your probably better off not going to any restaurants considering your reasoning. Cheers.
Yes, I'm familiar with how respiratory viruses spread, particularly covid. Like most people in this forum, I read and stay informed.

I never said i was going inside. I live in an area where there is a cluster of lakes with restaurants that have outdoor dining. I won't eat inside of a restaurant, that's not happening. Even before covid I rarely ate inside anywhere. I'm not worried about guests out on the open air deck transmitting covid when they are seated at another table outside at least 6 feet away. But my server will be standing above me a foot or two away breathing on me. He/she had better be masked.

Right from the beginning our boss has been obsessive about keeping us all safe. Things were OK, a few off here and there but no big worries however, today we are missing 25% of the workforce due to heavy colds.

Our county is marked as a low-level county by the CDC (as is most of the state now) so while there was never much urgency to wear a mask here, it’s completely disappeared now. I went to Kroger and Lowes yesterday (grocery and DIY), and between the two stores, I saw a total of two masks…and one was mine! :laugh:

Except for local docs’ offices requiring them, we are 100% back to pre-covid behavior here.

Our country has today become one of the first of Europe to completely remove all Covid rules. So:

- No more face masks anywhere
- No more testing for entrance to anything
- No more work at home requirements
- If you're infected but have no symptoms, quarantine is no longer obligatory
- No need to test before entering the Netherlands

Well.. we'll see where this ends. Currently still on 60.000 cases a day, so I am not too sure this is a great idea.

Currently still on 60.000 cases a day, so I am not too sure this is a great idea.
That doesn´t sound good, but...it would appear that the current Covid strain is very much milder than the others. I´m not a doctor, nor would I dream of making any speculations, but I got the virus a month ago, and to be honest, I´ve had worse colds. There may be 60,000 cases a day; but I would also ask: how many people have serious colds per day? Or straightforward Flu?
Either one could have fatal consequences - remember Jim Henson, of the Muppets? It started with flu, ended in death.
Evidently, I´m only giving an isolated example, but I would surmise that the worst is now over.

That doesn´t sound good, but...it would appear that the current Covid strain is very much milder than the others. I´m not a doctor, nor would I dream of making any speculations, but I got the virus a month ago, and to be honest, I´ve had worse colds. There may be 60,000 cases a day; but I would also ask: how many people have serious colds per day? Or straightforward Flu?
Either one could have fatal consequences - remember Jim Henson, of the Muppets? It started with flu, ended in death.
Evidently, I´m only giving an isolated example, but I would surmise that the worst is now over.
Yup. My MIL is one of those people who would get very ill, possibly hospitalized or worse. She has an incurable lung condition. I am sure that there are people in The Netherlands who are immunocompromised. It's not a great idea to relax everything all at once IMO, but it's happening all over the place.

Yup. My MIL is one of those people who would get very ill, possibly hospitalized or worse. She has an incurable lung condition. I am sure that there are people in The Netherlands who are immunocompromised. It's not a great idea to relax everything all at once IMO, but it's happening all over the place.
Yeah, people like me who have had multiple pulmonary embolisms on separate occasions, chronic health issues and asthma.
I mean I am not thinking we should keep society closed forever but it's also not quite over yet and a new strain could prove very problematic.
I hope not, of course. I love the idea of going back to normal!

Life pretty much normal here again. Uni students had 300 plus at a drunken party in ilam fields at the weekend. Just boozing and peeing to quote a neighbour!!!!
Grandson back to normal after 2 days vomiting etc.
Rest of sons family still.negative.

Russ

Back
Top Bottom